• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ontario Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#421 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 7 2020 - 1:50 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Nice looking lid. Can you describe how you made it?

Just 3 pieces of plexiglass, the mesh and a bit of epoxy. I created a quick diagram to show how all the parts align. I don't show the epoxy but it goes around the perimeter of the mesh and holds the Insert to the stopper. The cheap five minute epoxy is fine. At some point I may replace the Main Cover with glass, but I don't think it's all that necessary.

Aquarium Mesh

Edited by Lazarus, January 8 2020 - 10:09 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#422 Offline spartANTS - Posted January 7 2020 - 5:17 PM

spartANTS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVaudreuil, Quebec, Canada

Lazarus , where did you buy the 100 micro Wire Mesh ?

#423 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 7 2020 - 6:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s a simple and elegant design. How do you cut out the middle sections cleanly of the plexiglass?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#424 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 8 2020 - 10:12 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Ebay.  I got a 1ft x 3ft roll for about $7 (Canadian) about a year and a half ago. Indispensable when making outworlds from acrylic plastic boxes to get good aeration and ventilation.

• spartANTS likes this

#425 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 8 2020 - 10:21 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

That’s a simple and elegant design. How do you cut out the middle sections cleanly of the plexiglass?

I had a whole bunch of small and large pieces that were NOT cut straight so it took a while.

For the outer edges I just score both sides with a sharp work knife, clamp an edge to a table top and snap the fold.

The 'inner' rectangular holes are more work. I use a dremel tool with a metal "mini-sawblade". (Like this https://mobileimages...95.jpg?size=xl)

I map out the hole I want with a marker then dremel out the hole making sure I cut 'inside' to not take out too much. That leaves me with a fairly jagged edge but I them file and sand to get very tight clean inner edge.

#426 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 9 2020 - 8:23 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Ebay.  I got a 1ft x 3ft roll for about $7 (Canadian) about a year and a half ago. Indispensable when making outworlds from acrylic plastic boxes to get good aeration and ventilation.

Found the seller who is still selling it at the same price:

https://www.ebay.ca/...35/132120411289

#427 Offline spartANTS - Posted January 10 2020 - 9:19 AM

spartANTS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVaudreuil, Quebec, Canada
Thank you for the info
i will order a roll .

#428 Offline Lazarus - Posted February 23 2020 - 9:42 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Just an update on that aquarium meshed cover. I'm noticing that the larger plexiglass ("Main Cover") tends to warp. I used a relatively thin plexiglass because I had a lot (scavenged from a huge modular display I came across). And it wasn't even in direct sunlight for most of the day. So be sure to test it out first! (Which is exactly what I was doing.)

As my current setup is too risky to have a colony move in, I'll have to either try to get a glass piece or thicker plexiglass.

Edited by Lazarus, February 23 2020 - 9:43 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#429 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2020 - 10:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s frustrating, but I hope you can perfect the prototype. I’m actually interested in buying a lid like this from you if you have any interest in that.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#430 Offline Lazarus - Posted February 26 2020 - 1:01 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

That’s frustrating, but I hope you can perfect the prototype. I’m actually interested in buying a lid like this from you if you have any interest in that.

Hmm. Did some research regarding the plexiglass and came across one article after another stating that plexi was notorious for warping and should never be used in this manner. (Its only OK if all edges are braced). I would have to find extremely thick plexiglass to even minimize warping which even then would not eliminate it.

This is a huge setback as the only solution if I wanted to retain decent visibility would be to use glass instead. While I'm fairly successful cutting glass, making a rectangular opening like I have now is much harder and would require a glass cutting bit needed to first cut 'corner holes' before actually removing the inner rectangle.

My plans for this aquarium setup don't look like they will be solved soon. :(

#431 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 26 2020 - 1:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dang! Sorry to hear that. I hope you can figure something out.

#432 Offline Nare - Posted March 9 2020 - 2:45 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Caught 2 Lasius cf. aphidicola parasites today, they were just wandering across the pavement at the Toronto Zoo bus stop. Also saw 5 or 6 Formica ulkei and exsectoides mounds too - it was super sunny today, so there was some activity in and around the mounds.

Edited by Nare, March 9 2020 - 3:20 PM.

#433 Offline Lazarus - Posted March 16 2020 - 7:17 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Well I took my girls out of hibernation today. May have lost my Tetramorium queen as she isn't moving and the tube was very humid. Sucks since I'm trying to get as much variety species wise and she was the only 'new' species (for me) that I came across last year. I'll know by tomorrow if she really is a goner.

#434 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2020 - 5:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sad to say, but Tetramorium should activate as soon as they warm up. The queens probably start pumping out eggs the minute the get warm enough.

#435 Offline rbarreto - Posted March 17 2020 - 10:37 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Well I took my girls out of hibernation today. May have lost my Tetramorium queen as she isn't moving and the tube was very humid. Sucks since I'm trying to get as much variety species wise and she was the only 'new' species (for me) that I came across last year. I'll know by tomorrow if she really is a goner.

Always give dead looking queens like a week or two to wake up. She may not be dead at all.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#436 Offline Lazarus - Posted March 19 2020 - 7:53 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Always give dead looking queens like a week or two to wake up. She may not be dead at all.

Nah. She's a goner. The nanitics are all dead as well. I do set these tubes aside just in case but it was pretty evident right away.

#437 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 29 2020 - 6:48 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Just some notes..

Prenolepis imparis flew in small quantities in Ontario on April 8-9th

They also flew April 27-28th, though mostly in the Southern half of Southern Ontario.

There will most likely be a significant flight on May 3rd

Possible chance of Camponotus flights soon as well in Windsor region

• Lazarus, Nare and CANant like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#438 Offline Lazarus - Posted May 1 2020 - 10:38 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

There will most likely be a significant flight on May 3rd

Hoping for tomorrow as we've had rains past two days and just clearing up today while the forecast for tomorrow is sunny and warm.
  • CANant likes this

#439 Offline CANant - Posted May 2 2020 - 10:45 PM

CANant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
I had no idea this thread was here. Love it!
Happy anting today! It’s going to be a gorgeous day! Please share with us what you find!

Edited by CANant, May 2 2020 - 10:46 PM.

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ants)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

Check out my C. pennsylvanicus progress: https://imgur.com/user/CANant

🐜❤️♾

#440 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 3 2020 - 11:11 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Oh man. Prenolepis imparis flew today, but I don't know anyone who caught that many.

Anyone who's willing to sell DM me

Edit: Found a Camponotus male today, so who knows maybe they're having small flights

Edited by Canadian anter, May 3 2020 - 11:18 AM.

• Nare likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users