• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

District, Maryland, & Virginia Queen Watch

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#161 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 12:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
This is not novaeboracensis. It is of the subgenus Myrmentoma, possibly nearcticus.
  • ANTdrew and Cblake113 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#162 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
C. nearcticus
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Cblake113 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#163 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:25 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

C. pennsylvanicus sounds like a good bet. You have a small first year colony. You could keep them in a test tube with an outworld, but a Tarheel Ants mini-hearth would be ideal.

It looks like C. Nearcrcticus to me after the second pics as she doesn't have the golden gaster hairs

Edited by Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, April 14 2020 - 1:30 PM.

• Cblake113 likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#164 Offline Cblake113 - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:26 PM

Cblake113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVirginia

This is not novaeboracensis. It is of the subgenus Myrmentoma, possibly nearcticus.

Really? I thought she looked identical to the nova I had identified last week. Her abdomen looks a tad bit longer than the nova. I am having a hard time with ID's on ants. A lot harder than I thought it would be.

#165 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:29 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Really? I thought she looked identical to the nova I had identified last week. Her abdomen looks a tad bit longer than the nova. I am having a hard time with ID's on ants. A lot harder than I thought it would be.

She is not because her gaster is smooth and Nova's gasters have hair (it's difficult to see because of the red or green colors, but it's there), and your new queen has no gaster hairs. To make it simple, C. Pennslyvanicus and Nova have gaster hair so it's not Nova or Pennsly. and it is smaller than Pennsly. so I would say Nearcticus 

• Cblake113 likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#166 Offline Cblake113 - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:33 PM

Cblake113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Ok well thank you for helping me! I do really appreciate it!
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#167 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
novaeboracensis are much longer than around 10 mm.
  • Cblake113 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#168 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:34 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

np

• Cblake113 likes this

#169 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I may be wrong, but I don’t think novaboraecensis are very common this south. I feel that chromaiodes kind of replaces them, but maybe I’m oversimplifying.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#170 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 14 2020 - 1:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Antmaps supports your claim ANTdrew. They are really centered above NJ.

• ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#171 Offline Cblake113 - Posted April 14 2020 - 2:03 PM

Cblake113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVirginia
The other queen I based this queen C. nearcticus off of. I may have a wrong ID on as well. It was just mentioned that it might be a nova. Here is the orginal queen I was told may be a nova that I based the C. nearcticus off of.

Attached Images

• 20200414_180025.jpg
  • 20200414_180055.jpg
  • 20200414_180041.jpg

Edited by Cblake113, April 14 2020 - 2:05 PM.

#172 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 2:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

It's also nearcticus.

This is novaeboracensismaxresdefault.jpg

And this is nearcticusimages?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRokX_quozybgkKzppaO

Edited by AntsDakota, April 14 2020 - 2:06 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#173 Offline Cblake113 - Posted April 14 2020 - 3:02 PM

Cblake113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Ok thank you! The first one had me confused then. Thank you!

#174 Offline Antkid12 - Posted April 29 2020 - 9:41 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Hi guys, nobody has posted here in a while, did any of u guys find any queens recently?

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#175 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 29 2020 - 9:51 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hi guys, nobody has posted here in a while, did any of u guys find any queens recently?

I haven't. We all had a mild winter, but it looks like Spring won't really come till May.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#176 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 29 2020 - 10:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Zippo for me. I’m wondering if Sunday will be warm enough, but probably not.

#177 Offline Cblake113 - Posted May 2 2020 - 5:40 PM

Cblake113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Went out today looking for snakes, and found a few queens under some bark. I didn't catch them. I just covered them back up with the bark after taking a few pictures. Just wanted to share a pic of a nice beautiful camponotus chromaiodes queen!

Attached Images

• received_867596760392170.jpeg

• FeedTheAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#178 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 5:45 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

This is my first year anting and I remember seeing a few posts from people in my state interested in starting out. I'm making this to help out others and myself. 

I was able to catch a Camponotus pennsylvanicus. last week in Virginia Beach but it was by happy accident because she was part of a small colony already. I think they were in the middle of a move at the time. I was taking down a shed today though and found a pretty huge colony with lots of male and female alates. If Camp. pennsylvanicus. isn't flying yet then they should be soon judging by what I saw today. 

wow!  congratulations!  that's so awesome!!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#179 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 3 2020 - 8:58 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

nice!  (y)

Edited by Antkid12, May 3 2020 - 8:59 AM.

• Cblake113 likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#180 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:06 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Termites are having their nuptial flights right now. I'm not interested, but thought I'd let you know just in case anyone is.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users