• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

District, Maryland, & Virginia Queen Watch

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#441 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2020 - 7:49 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Crematogaster alates are gathering outside my backyard nest. They may fly today.

I may have to catch some.... The Valentines are gone..... I left on a trip last week and the colony escaped into my room. All that's left is 300 workers and I'm not sure the queen is there. THIS SUCKS!!!!

Oh, and they killed my Camponotus chromaiodes on their way out. The Camponotus were in the mini hearth that had a small gap.

Edited by FeedTheAnts, September 9 2020 - 7:51 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#442 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 9 2020 - 7:50 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Ouch!!!!!!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#443 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 9 2020 - 7:59 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Crematogaster alates are gathering outside my backyard nest. They may fly today.

I may have to catch some.... The Valentines are gone..... I left on a trip last week and the colony escaped into my room. All that's left is 300 workers and I'm not sure the queen is there. THIS SUCKS!!!!

Oh, and they killed my Camponotus chromaiodes on their way out. The Camponotus were in the mini hearth that had a small gap.

They've been flying here almost every week since February...

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#444 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 9 2020 - 8:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
How did they escape? I can set you up with a new queen if you’d like, but I know there’s no replacing a colony like that.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#445 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 9 2020 - 8:59 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

What!!!?? 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#446 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2020 - 9:04 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They chewed through a plastic stopper on the Hybrid Nest. Third time they've done it too(I had repaired the other two with a layer of glue-logged cotton). If I start another colony then I'd like to catch the queen myself, but thanks. 

btw, it took an hour to vacuum the ants out of my room. I gave up hope of gathering the colony back once I noticed nests on the floor in pieces of tubing I had left out and ants foraging in my bathroom.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
How did they escape? I can set you up with a new queen if you’d like, but I know there’s no replacing a colony like that.

Edited by FeedTheAnts, September 9 2020 - 9:06 AM.

#447 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 9 2020 - 9:05 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Wow I have currently have a colony of lineolata and Cersei are bigger and they still escaped I may have some trouble on my hands.
We don’t talk about that

#448 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 9 2020 - 12:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Man, that’s so tragic! Those 3D printed stoppers are crap. I wish THA had stuck with the rubber stoppers, but I figure it’s a cost cutting measure. You can’t cut corners with Crematogaster, though, or you get a disaster like this. So sad.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#449 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2020 - 7:51 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I wish THA had stuck with the rubber stoppers, but I figure it’s a cost cutting measure. 

You mean AC? It was the a stopper from the Hybrid.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#450 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 10 2020 - 2:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
No, I mean Tar Heel Ants. They used to come with sturdy rubber stoppers that would fully plug holes. Now they come with the 3D printed stoppers, which are obviously cheaper to make but lesser quality, too. My Divas had no trouble slipping out gaps they chewed in the new plugs in their Nucleus, so I sealed them with glue.
  • FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

#451 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 10 2020 - 6:05 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Today at about 6:50pm caught 1 crematogaster, and I found lasius(is it parasitic?) nuptial flight and its biggest any sp. nuptial I ever saw. They might fly tomorrow too, because most of them went back to their nest at 7:15pm, and they wasn't away from their nest more than about 4-6 feet. I took few of them just in case if they won't fly again or if I find some drones to mate them.

P.s. if crematogasters are fully claustral, then how do they survive until spring?

P.p.s. idk y pics are rotated

Attached Images

• 20200910_185645.jpg
  • 20200910_185459.jpg
  • 20200910_185647.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200910-220318_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by AleeGuy, September 10 2020 - 6:10 PM.

#452 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 10 2020 - 6:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crematogaster survive by going into dormancy during the winter months, plus that fat gaster is full of food reserves. They are exceedingly tough queens. I’ve never had one die on me.
Can you get a better shot of the Lasius, especially the gaster?

Edited by ANTdrew, September 10 2020 - 6:37 PM.

#453 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 11 2020 - 7:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Big Crematogaster flight right now!

• AleeGuy likes this

#454 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 11 2020 - 7:32 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Big Crematogaster flight right now!

Crematogasters in my backyard doesn't plan to fly I don't know why

Here ya go with pics and gaster

Attached Images

• IMG_20200911_112526_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20200911_112514_HDR.jpg

#455 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 11 2020 - 7:53 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

That one looks like non parasitic. However, one of the earlier images did indeed look parasitic.

• AleeGuy likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#456 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 11 2020 - 8:01 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

That one looks like non parasitic. However, one of the earlier images did indeed look parasitic.

Thanks! But they are all same sp. Maybe my camera has problems with colors in different lighting or something

#457 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 11 2020 - 11:24 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Woah, awesome catch!

• AleeGuy likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#458 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 11 2020 - 2:37 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
I'm there rn, and there is no alates near the nest. Maybe because of the wind or the temp

Edited by AleeGuy, September 11 2020 - 2:40 PM.

#459 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 18 2020 - 12:58 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

There was a Crematogaster flight today! I only caught one but it was still awesome!

Edited by Antkid12, September 18 2020 - 1:01 PM.

• AleeGuy likes this

#460 Offline AleeGuy - Posted September 18 2020 - 8:02 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I found one too right now in the bath tub. I don't know how they get in there but I find them every few month. Ohh why they like shower so much :facepalm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users