• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

District, Maryland, & Virginia Queen Watch

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#341 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 1:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

another queen which I don’t know (I don’t have any of them as I’m in NC currently and I’m not keeping them)

You going to post an ID request?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#342 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted July 4 2020 - 3:42 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

another queen which I don’t know (I don’t have any of them as I’m in NC currently and I’m not keeping them)

I was going to but I didn’t have a camera on me😅 though, I think I know what it is I just can’t place the name quite yet!
  • AntsDakota likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#343 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted July 4 2020 - 6:40 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I remember what it was!! Dorymyrmex bureni!!
  • ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Keeps:

#344 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 5 2020 - 2:21 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Why not make an ID thread? 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#345 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted July 5 2020 - 3:49 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Well, I didn’t take a picture and I let her go soon after rescuing her from the waves (she was in the ocean). Also, I tend not to do ID threads unless I’m completely stumped. I rather do my own research first and if I come up with no conclusions, then I’ll post😋
  • Antkid12 likes this

Keeps:

#346 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 5 2020 - 3:54 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Well, I didn’t take a picture and I let her go soon after rescuing her from the waves (she was in the ocean). Also, I tend not to do ID threads unless I’m completely stumped. I rather do my own research first and if I come up with no conclusions, then I’ll post

Ah, ok.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#347 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2020 - 4:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
VB, any tips for finding Formica queens around here?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#348 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 5 2020 - 4:41 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Yeah, I want to find some Formica queens this year.

#349 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 5 2020 - 5:52 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
I found one in my yard but she scurried away before I caught her!
We don’t talk about that

#350 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 5 2020 - 7:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Ah man, I wish I could help......... I feel sorry for you guys, being so isolated from Formica.........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#351 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2020 - 8:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My three year old just found a Colobopsis queen in our living room. Attaboy!

Edited by ANTdrew, July 5 2020 - 8:50 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#352 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 5 2020 - 8:58 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Ah man, I wish I could help......... I feel sorry for you guys, being so isolated from Formica.........

Formica are everywhere in VA. They are the most random queens though. I've never seen a flight of these guys, and on my experience one Formica queen always is just one Formica queen. Your best bet is to look on concrete in the blasting heat of the day.

Edited by FeedTheAnts, July 5 2020 - 8:58 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#353 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 5 2020 - 9:03 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Formica are everywhere in VA. They are the most random queens though. I've never seen a flight of these guys, and on my experience one Formica queen always is just one Formica queen. Your best bet is to look on concrete in the blasting heat of the day.
Like between 2 and 5 colonies at least a couple hundred workers strong per property? That type of ‘everywhere’?

#354 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 5 2020 - 9:18 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Like between 2 and 5 colonies at least a couple hundred workers strong per property? That type of ‘everywhere’?

Yes, if not more. 

• AntsDakota likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#355 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2020 - 9:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, workers are super common in the right habitats.

#356 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted July 5 2020 - 10:29 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Yup! Best time to find queens are IMMEDIATELY after storms. Normally with high pressure so like thunderstorms mostly. I tend to avoid looking on sidewalks for them because they tend to not be found on them. I look for them in the woods, where I’ve raked up the leaves of a 10by 10 ft area and just wait a bit. You’ll find them walking along in it. Also, if you want to dig for them, I suggest in the spring, the queen is higher up. In the summer, you’ll have to dig 2-3 ft to get to the same level as the queen and that’s if you dig in the right area. I’ve noticed that most of the time, when you dig into the nest to find a queen, dig 4-6 inches from the hole in the opposite direction of where the workers go when they exit the hole. That tends to be a 75% success for digging up a queen. Oh, another thing is they tend to fly early morning (in my experience) around 9-10 am and then again mid afternoon, 3-6 pm. Hope that helps!!
  • ANTdrew likes this

Keeps:

#357 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 6 2020 - 3:44 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Yup! Best time to find queens are IMMEDIATELY after storms. Normally with high pressure so like thunderstorms mostly. I tend to avoid looking on sidewalks for them because they tend to not be found on them. I look for them in the woods, where I’ve raked up the leaves of a 10by 10 ft area and just wait a bit. You’ll find them walking along in it. Also, if you want to dig for them, I suggest in the spring, the queen is higher up. In the summer, you’ll have to dig 2-3 ft to get to the same level as the queen and that’s if you dig in the right area. I’ve noticed that most of the time, when you dig into the nest to find a queen, dig 4-6 inches from the hole in the opposite direction of where the workers go when they exit the hole. That tends to be a 75% success for digging up a queen. Oh, another thing is they tend to fly early morning (in my experience) around 9-10 am and then again mid afternoon, 3-6 pm. Hope that helps!!

Nice, thanks!

• VenomousBeast likes this

#358 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2020 - 5:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m officially on Formica watch. Ain’t gonna find none, but still.

#359 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 7 2020 - 5:54 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I once was breaking a log, and i found 15 Formica queens, but they were in a colony so I let them go.

Edited by Antkid12, July 7 2020 - 2:10 PM.

#360 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2020 - 5:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Heavy flights tonight. Saw at least eight Pheidole cf bicarinata queens, tons of Nylanderia, Colobopsis obliqua, and a Solenopsis molesta. I collected three of the Pheidole I saw mate and shed wings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users