• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

District, Maryland, & Virginia Queen Watch

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#221 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:00 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Here they are. 

Yes I know only 2 are queens, but I have about 15 actual queens. They seem to be easy to determine by head size. Lol. Thank you!!! I also forgot to post the brachymyrmex. I have only got 3 queens of these. So here is a pic of her. 

Very pretty queen!

• AntsDakota and Cblake113 like this

#222 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2020 - 6:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Boom! I got two C. castaneus queens at my blacklight tonight. Males were everywhere. I also found a Nylanderia queen.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Cblake113 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#223 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 9 2020 - 7:31 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Boom! I got two C. castaneus queens at my blacklight tonight. Males were everywhere. I also found a Nylanderia queen.

I got a castaneus male at my light. Didn't get any queens, but I know they flew now. The area I live in has too high of a clay content in the soil, so I have to drive 4 miles to the park to get them. I'll go this Sunday when I go there for Trachymyrmex. I'll look under some rocks for the new queens. What type of soil have you seen Camponotus castaneus in? I've only seen them in sandy soil.
  • ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#224 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2020 - 2:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This was actually in my backyard, which is straight marine clay! I’ve only ever seen a dead worker in spider webs before, so this flight really surprised me. I see them most abundant in my parents’ yard, which is a much softer clay-loam soil in an area with lots of old growth trees. I can’t even really think of anywhere around me that has sandy soil other than some river banks.
  • TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#225 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 6:35 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

This was actually in my backyard, which is straight marine clay! I’ve only ever seen a dead worker in spider webs before, so this flight really surprised me. I see them most abundant in my parents’ yard, which is a much softer clay-loam soil in an area with lots of old growth trees. I can’t even really think of anywhere around me that has sandy soil other than some river banks.

Those river banks would do it. I've found a couple populations on the edges of rivers. Found ssone Trachymyrmex septentrionalis on one too!
  • ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#226 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2020 - 2:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! A Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen just sauntered by me this afternoon while drinking beer at the Washington Sailing Marina! This is where I find all my Crematogaster queens, too.
  • AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#227 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 18 2020 - 2:40 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Does anybody know a good place to look for Pheidole?

Edited by Antkid12, June 18 2020 - 4:02 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#228 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2020 - 2:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m not familiar with anywhere in NOVA. I’ll be trying my blacklight once it warms up again.

#229 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 18 2020 - 3:31 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Does anybody know a good place to looks for Pheidole?

Pheidole are kinda hard to spot and find. They have nuptial flights at dusk and I've only ever seen them fly in June and August. Normally after a rainfall. If you look for them in a flight be sure to have a flashlight to see them, but also a blacklight setup works GREAT. If you're looking for a colony, they aren't too hard to spot, you just need to get close to the ground as they are rather small. Find one and follow it back. Up here, it's one of few species that I'm ok with digging up because they can have multiple queens and I always dig up at least 2 and then put one back to keep them going! Oh, also, you don't really dig down for them, it's more across. I'd say after digging 6 inches, I'd look for tunnels going to the sides.

• Antkid12 likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#230 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2020 - 3:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
VB, you really need to share all this info before you leave.
  • VenomousBeast and Antkid12 like this

#231 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 18 2020 - 4:26 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Cool! thanks for the info, I have only seen 1 Pheidole pilfera minor, and a bunch of Pheidole tysoni where I live, but never a queen.

• VenomousBeast likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#232 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 18 2020 - 5:35 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

VB, you really need to share all this info before you leave.

I'll sure do my best!!! Any other species that you guys want to find?? I have a rather good way of finding most of them!

Edited by VenomousBeast, June 18 2020 - 5:36 AM.

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#233 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2020 - 7:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nuptial flights in NOVA for:
Trachymyrmex
Formica
Non-parasitic Lasius
Monomorium minimum

Edited by ANTdrew, June 18 2020 - 7:47 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#234 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 18 2020 - 7:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Non-parasitic Lasius

I still don’t get what’s wrong with your Lasius.......... 🤣

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#235 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2020 - 8:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Damned if I know...
  • AntsDakota likes this

#236 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 18 2020 - 9:52 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I've never seen non-parasitic lasius fly, yet they are one of the most abundant species in my yard!

• TennesseeAnts, VenomousBeast and AntsDakota like this

#237 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 18 2020 - 10:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Here you can’t be outside for a second and not see them fly.
  • Antkid12 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#238 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 18 2020 - 10:16 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I've never seen non-parasitic lasius fly, yet they are one of the most abundant species in my yard!

Once, in Tennessee, I saw a huge flight of Lasius. It was impossible to walk outside for about two hours because they were flying in my eyes and mouth. Most were males, but by the end of the flight you could see "clumps" of ants in the air as they were mating.

Edited by FeedTheAnts, June 18 2020 - 10:16 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#239 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2020 - 10:36 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

In the sierras, the wings lit up in the evening sun, and it was a truly beautiful sight to see. Then, the molesta flew, and, each colony sent up one huge clump of alates, which could be seen high in the sky hundreds of feet away.

• AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#240 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 18 2020 - 11:31 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
And people say Lasius are boring.
  • Antkid12 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)