• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Clay Formicariums?

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline William. T - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:26 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

As my ants will wake up soon, I need to find them a formicarium. As many members urged me to build my own on a previous thread I will. Because I don't own a drill bit and can't find a realistic supplier for ytong, I will make a clay one instead. Clay is inert and will not mold. It is natural, also. It have tiny bits of roughness for ants to cling on, not like the smoothness of acrylic. I plan to use air dry clay from Walmart. I will carve tunnel(easy enough) and then set it to dry. Hydration isn't an issue, right? B.T.W, here is a Polish ant keeping website that has clay formicariums in English. (Well, partially, but a lot of nice how to's and pictures!)

www.maclab.sk

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#2 Offline dean_k - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:32 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Problem with clay is that ants will dig through it.

Why don't you just get a test tube? A glass tube is few bucks.

If not, Tar Heel ants growth chamber which is 10 bucks.

#3 Offline Miles - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:32 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I really do not recommend you do this. I use the air-dry clay for molding chambers in plaster nests and once that clay is dried it is very, very brittle and it will crack. Clay formicariums really aren't suitable until the clay has been fired. I haven't come up with a way to make that work because the clay may warp in the kiln and will no longer sit flush with the glass.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline benjiwuf - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:34 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

you can find many many test tubes and just stack them in a foraging area for the easiest cheapest way (in my opinion). then you could always just add and replace test tubes to clean or refill. however dean_k may be right, and was my only concern. some species will dig though hardened clay, so just be sure they are contained well in a container you use. ^ i agree, however have you tried sanding or filing down the side that sits flush to the glass after firing miles?

Edited by benjiwuf, January 9 2015 - 8:34 PM.

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:34 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Air dry clay may turn soggy once watered.  I have never used it though, so I can't say for certain.

I have occasionally considered trying to kiln some clay for an ant farm.  Always seemed like too much effort.

With the grout (or hydrostone) method, you can make clay plugs so they that form the tubing entrance, then you won't need to use a drill.

Do you happen to have access to a dremel?  They can use drill bits too.

Or you can try buying one.  ByFormica, AntsCanada, TarHeelAnts, even I have a few listed in the Classifieds section of this site.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline Miles - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:53 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

have you tried sanding or filing down the side that sits flush to the glass after firing miles?

No, I have considered it but given the amount of work that the whole thing would require (and the possibility for cracking and irreversible warping), I have since moved on to a different, non-clay design.

Edited by Miles, January 9 2015 - 9:01 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 9 2015 - 9:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, clay would definitely need to be fired to be hard enough. And once fired, sanding it down I assume would require some sort of sand paper like diamond sand paper which is expensive.

#8 Offline DesertAntz - Posted January 10 2015 - 3:03 AM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

I just had my ants in a test tube and had that inside of a tub. I used silly putty to hold the tube in place. There are test tube holders that could work as well, but it'd probably still move around if you were to move the tub. 

Anyway, that sort of set up will be fine for a couple months until their numbers grow and then you can get the formicarium you desire. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#9 Offline William. T - Posted January 10 2015 - 5:44 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Well, the reason I thought of this was the fact that my ants can't live in a test tube forever. The ant species I keep is common around my house. The population explodes quickly, almost like RIFA. My ant species is rather small, and I don't think I can dig too well. However, the Polish website I got says that the clay formicarium was put into the OVEN, which is like firing. And other thoughts?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 10 2015 - 6:44 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Does your oven get to 2000 degrees F?

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted January 10 2015 - 7:43 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

They put it into the oven to ensure it is dried thoroughly.  It is not come close to a kiln.

For colonies like that, you are going to have to keep expanding the nest.

Have you considered buying a cheap $20 dremel kit (http://www.ebay.com/...=item259d5b00b5) and then making a formicarium out of a bead container?  Or even borrowing a friends or family members drill/dremel?

Tutorial on how to build here: http://www.formicult...icture +journey

This would allow you to simply keep attaching more nests as the colony grows.  And having a dremel or drill would give you more options in the long run.

Who said we could only use one test tube?  :D  Look at the second last post on this thread - http://antfarm.yuku....es#.VLFJXnst6OZ

Depending how good you are with vinyl tubing and acrylic - http://antfarm.yuku....-test-tube-rack

Or here is another thought.  If you don't want to use any tools at all, you could build a nest in an outworld.

About half way down the first post here is a section on how to have both a nest and an outworld in a container - http://www.formicult...icture +journey

Make a clay tunnel network against one wall of the container, tilt nest on side and pour in grout or hydrostone.  Let dry, remove clay and then silicone the nest into container.  No tools or drilling required.

Or you can make one outside of the outworld and simply put it in like I did here.  I didn't use any tools on this one.

DSC06163_zps6a351ce7.jpg

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#12 Offline William. T - Posted January 10 2015 - 9:56 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Thanks, but I guess, to be on the safe side, to buy a formicarium. Has anyone had any experience with the new Antsnational? Is it better than the THA Talus? 

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#13 Offline dean_k - Posted January 10 2015 - 10:23 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Since you are in US, you will get your stuff much faster from Tar Heel Ants.

Antsnational is in Canada. Like I said earlier, just get a growth chamber which us only 10 bucks. It will sustain your colony for months before having to relocate. There is also Evolution chamber from Tar Heel ants which is a much bigger version of growth chamber but costs 40 bucks.

Growth chamber (10 bucks) : http://www.tarheelan...th_chamber.html

Evolution chamber (40 bucks) : http://www.tarheelan..._chamber_i.html

Edited by dean_k, January 10 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#14 Offline William. T - Posted January 10 2015 - 12:48 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

I know about the GC, but prefer the Talus. One thing: If their are enough connecting ports, can a mature colony reside in a system of connected taluses or GCs?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#15 Offline benjiwuf - Posted January 10 2015 - 12:52 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

that's the same idea as having several test tubes in a foraging area, but yes. i'm not sure how many ports are on their setups, but you could always use tubing to connect several up. my suggestion is to contact them about it if that's your intentions to find out their reccomendations on the best way to do that.

#16 Offline dean_k - Posted January 10 2015 - 1:33 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I know about the GC, but prefer the Talus. One thing: If their are enough connecting ports, can a mature colony reside in a system of connected taluses or GCs?

Unless it's a proven species that explode in population easily (Like the Invicta), it will be years before your colony matures. Even relatively easily expanding species seem to take it slow during their first year.

I have a Myrmica colony (linked in my signature) that is reaching 3 years and the colony still has only 20 workers. :P

I am recommending those two because they provide easy access to queen's chamber which is very helpful in relocating colony when needed. With a closed nest like Talus, you have to force them out by heat or some other elements.

Edited by dean_k, January 10 2015 - 1:37 PM.

#17 Offline William. T - Posted January 10 2015 - 7:38 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

O.K. Thanks!

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#18 Offline ToeNhi - Posted January 10 2015 - 10:04 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA
For some of my colonies that were too small for a formicarium but too difficult to feed in the test tube setup, I placed their test tubes in acrylic boxes I purchased from the Container Store. I drilled a hole in the side of the box so I could attach it to a formicarium in the future while still being able to use the box as a foraging area.

If you plan on going straight to a formicarium, try to find one that allows you access to the nesting area in the event your colony dies and you want to reuse it. I would highly recommend the Mini Hearth or Growth Chamber from Tar Heel Ants for small colonies. I have some Piece of Havens with removable glass that I love, but they are not mass producing them.

Maybe by the time your colony grows big enough for a formicarium, Andrew will be selling his custom formicaria.

-ToeNhi

#19 Offline ToeNhi - Posted January 10 2015 - 10:25 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA
I placed an order with AntsNational right before Christmas when they were having a two for one Dram Nest sale. I also bought one of the small formicarium. I received them shortly after Christmas, and let's just say they didn't travel well. The owner was willing to correct the issue, and he was very responsive to my emails.

I try to be unbiased and support all the major ant vendors in North America, but so far Tar Heel Ants has been the most consistent in quality and has the best range of products.

-ToeNhi

#20 Offline dean_k - Posted January 11 2015 - 3:25 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I can vouch for Tar Heel Ants as well. He has the best range of products in a wide range of tastes. He has been recently expanding his products with removable side glass window which is very helpful in cleaning out the nest in case an entire colony dies in it, not to mention going out of his way to make shipping express if he is late on schedule.

I have Nucleus and Hearth coming soon and already own a Pinnacle. The growth chamber is hard to beat in its value also. I mean you can't really go wrong with it being ten bucks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users