• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dean's Formica subsericea journal

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 Offline dean_k - Posted March 7 2015 - 8:46 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

The ants are aware that they have mites because I've noticed that they make sure mites don't reach larvae by picking any loose mites and place them back deeper into garbage file.

I was unable to take this behavior with my microscope since its LED light scares them. I will try to get this behavior filmed with my old microscope.

If they can co-exist and the mites pose no harm, then I am willing to let them co-exist together since the mites take care of food scraps.

Edited by dean_k, March 7 2015 - 8:47 AM.

#62 Offline dean_k - Posted March 7 2015 - 5:37 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 7, 2015

Mite situation update 2

I took a long video to determine whether the mites are harmful to the ants. I took the video with my old microscope without LED light, so video quality is lower.

My conclusion is that the mites know that ants are there and ants also know that mites are there. As long as neither of them crosses an invisible border, they don't mind each other. Ants do try to push them back by pushing substrate.

So far, I do not find the mites harmful. They seem to stick to food scraps only.

#63 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 7 2015 - 8:00 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you can reach that garbage pile, take it out immediately, and quit feeding them meal worms or anything that is appealing to the mites. I had another Formica fusca colony that died to mites like these, which also seemed attracted to the ant's garbage. I would try and see if the mites like byFormica Blue 100.

Here is what one of the meal worms that I fed the colony looked like.

The white 'grains' you see on the meal worm are mites.

Are they on any of the ants? I would look specifically on the bottom of the queen's and worker's gasters.

Edited by Gregory2455, March 7 2015 - 8:00 PM.

#64 Offline dean_k - Posted March 7 2015 - 8:59 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I've relocated them to a THA growth chamber for now and checked every ants under microscope during the move (I use a tiny glass tube to pick and relocate each ants. It's called "Lover's glass tube".)

IMG_0275_zpsdzcqvewj.jpg

The glass tube has proven to be really effective when relocating ants one by one.

I double-checked after getting them relocated. I spot no mites. There are two white things on queen's quarter which are actually substrates.

#65 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 7 2015 - 10:23 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So many mites look the same. I think if these are all over dead insects and other trash, they probably aren't harmful. I think if they were parasitic, they would be all over your ants, feeding on them. I have little white mites like these living in quite a few of my colonies' foraging containers. I also have them in my cricket breeding bin. I have never seen one of them on any live insect, only dead ones. They're probably like compost mites or something.

#66 Offline James C. Trager - Posted March 8 2015 - 5:59 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

"The queen sometimes goes out on her own to forage. I thought the queen was fully claustral"

In natural circumstances, the queen would never (But, never say never ;)
 ) emerge to feed in a claustral species, but in this enclosure, it is harder for her to distinguish between the nest and the outdoor world.

"
They usually wait about 1.5-2 weeks before the queen really starts laying eggs"
Again this points to the difference between captive and outdoor circumstances. The warm-up of soil temperatures outdoors is slower than the rapid warm-up of indoor conditions. This is especially so below the upper surface and at night.

It might help to let the nest go dry (but always maintain drinking water!) and clean out all trash, to get rid of those mites.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#67 Offline dean_k - Posted March 8 2015 - 7:16 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

The mite crisis has been taken care of. I don't see mites on my other colonies, so I consider this an isolated incident.

They will be staying where they are for few weeks until I get them a new nest with a bigger outworld this time.

#68 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 8 2015 - 12:45 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Check the brood again.

#69 Offline dean_k - Posted March 8 2015 - 12:49 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Check the brood again.

Are you implying you see mites on them?

#70 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 8 2015 - 5:57 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No, it is just that mites like to catch rides on brood.

#71 Offline dean_k - Posted March 9 2015 - 6:41 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 9, 2015

@Gregory: The larvae and eggs were moved one by one with foceps. I placed them under microscope for inspection before letting the ants have it, so there is absolutely no way that mites are on brood.

Post mite crisis:

They've settled down okay in their temporary home. They will have their new home in a month or so. They are eating and drinking well which is all I could ask for.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#72 Offline dean_k - Posted March 11 2015 - 7:18 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 11, 2015

They are doing well. I see cocoons and they are actively eating and drinking.

I've decided to move them to THA Evolution chamber. I should get it in early April. Hopefully by then, its population will see some boost.

#73 Offline dean_k - Posted March 13 2015 - 5:34 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 13, 2015

I caught a fly today. It was a warm day here and the unfortunate fly was trying to get some warmth from sun. But it was still too chilly for the fly and it was easily caught by my hand.

So, the ants had a feast.

Aside from that, I see 4 cocoons.

#74 Offline dean_k - Posted March 14 2015 - 2:57 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 14, 2015

The ants had a long night last night. The fly is now just a mere shell of black scrap on top right.

After workers cut the fly's gaster open, the queen literally jumped on the gaster and consumed it.

IMG_0310_zpsx9ysn1nt.jpg

Edited by dean_k, March 14 2015 - 2:57 PM.

#75 Offline dean_k - Posted March 17 2015 - 4:57 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 17, 2015

They are doing okay. Still panicky as usual but it seems it's in their genes to panic.

I see 5 cocoons now and the queen has finally laid a small cluster of eggs (5).

#76 Offline dean_k - Posted March 20 2015 - 6:03 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 20, 2015

I actually observed the queen laying an egg. Since they panic at the slightest vibration, I was unable to prepare my microscpe but did manage to take a picture right after she pulled the egg out of tip of her gaster.

Meanwhile, they love to stay right above the water tower.

IMG_0330_zps9ovbu4kr.jpg

Edited by dean_k, March 20 2015 - 6:04 PM.

#77 Offline dean_k - Posted March 26 2015 - 4:33 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 26, 2015

They are doing well. I see the queen laid few more eggs.

This colony is becoming one of my favorites due to their panicky behaviors and their willingness to eat whatever bugs I throw at them.

IMG_0367_zpsu7lkxlbd.jpg

Edited by dean_k, March 26 2015 - 4:34 PM.

#78 Offline dean_k - Posted March 29 2015 - 5:10 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 29, 2015.

Two workers eclosed very recently. The newly born workers are clueless right now.

So, it has taken roughtly a month and 2 weeks from an egg to a worker. It's about the same as Lasius growth speed.

#79 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 29 2015 - 9:42 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I have discovered some chubby mites wandering around the chamber. The ants would drove them away whenever they got near the brood. However, those chubby mites can squeeze through tiny gaps. I have managed to kill 3 of them so far though. With moisture, dead insects and food, I suspect more will come. They are like fruit flies, gather from far away. Sometimes the ants don't put out the rubbish properly, but usually they eventually remove them afterward. The queen actually carry out heavy works when there isn't any muscle available, even if she need to go out and defend. 

#80 Offline dean_k - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:00 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I don't think the mites I had was harmful but it's better to be safe than sorry. The ants did try to keep them at bay by adding substrates.

There hasn't been mites since then. And no mites has ever been seen on my other colonies. Always freeze caught insects. For my mealworm culture, I wash them in hot water before chopping them up. I also remove their guts to delay rotting. Since I've been chopping them for few months, I grew to understand how to remove their guts. It's just a long hollow tube that sticks out when you cut their head. With good foceps, you can pull them out and delay decaying.

The queen in this colony does nothing but panic. Well, she does lay eggs, so I am not complaining.

Edited by dean_k, March 30 2015 - 6:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users