• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dean's Formica subsericea journal

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:41 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

The queen was raised in total darkness in her original colony. So panic is quite normal I suppose.

#82 Offline dean_k - Posted March 31 2015 - 11:48 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

This species panics more than others. And the way they panic is pretty amusing to watch unlike other species.

Panic level among my colonies...

1. Formica (this species) : Once they panic, the queen dashes toward and rams a wall, getting dazed a little in progress and circles around few times before running along the wall. Meanwhile, workers abandon the queen and go on their merry ways in panic with brood between mandibles. They eventually gather together after a minute or so.

2. Myrmica : When they panic, they tend to spread out in all directions with brood. It's hard to distinguish queens from workers for this species and queens act a lot like workers. Even their size is similar.

3. Lasius : When the colony panics, the queen circles around but soon get caught by workers and gets calmed down. The way they panic is a lot more organized and workers act in synchronized manners.

4. Camponotus Herculeanus : The queen does not tend to panic and she acts really lazily. I can touch her and she won't panic. The workers do panic, however, and attack my finger. The workers won't run too far away from the queen and they have a unique dance they do when they are in panic or actively surveying the area.

Edited by dean_k, March 31 2015 - 11:53 AM.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#83 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 2 2015 - 4:00 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Surely workers will attack you if you touch their queen or brood.

#84 Offline dean_k - Posted April 2 2015 - 4:18 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Most will.

This formica colony, however, won't because workers run around. They abandon queen in panic.

#85 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 2 2015 - 5:04 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

You may think they are running around but sometimes they are either try to find things to cover up the opening, brood to carry, queen to calm and drag her back or protect her, find a safe spot to run to or seek and attack the invader. Young workers would less likely to seek and attack, since they probably havent gone out and hunt yet.

#86 Offline dean_k - Posted April 2 2015 - 5:27 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Could be but I've never been attacked by these. I can pick up the queen fine since she is always alone when the colony is in panic.

Anyhow,

April 1, 2015

Chicken (fly) dinner for the queen. The queen is almost always fed by workers usually. But it's a different story when I throw in a dead fly or two. This queen simply loves flies.

IMG_0419_zpsdqo1zaer.jpg

IMG_0420_zpsatbyir4i.jpg

IMG_0425_zpsn9ys7bkw.jpg

Edited by dean_k, April 2 2015 - 7:52 AM.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#87 Offline dean_k - Posted April 9 2015 - 2:22 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

April 9, 2015

Today, I've finally relocated them to a new formicarium. This is a level 2 formicarium before they move into their final formicarium.

Since the last update from April 1st, 3 more workers eclosed but one worker died.

IMG_0443_zpsspwbezrc.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsqw3mpw1v.jpg

As you can see, the nest estate the ants will use is about the same but the outworld is much bigger. In fact, in THA growth chamber, the ant was using the whole dish as their nest. But with this formicarium, they will soon draw a line between their own nest and the outworld.

IMG_0447_zpsunpocr5x.jpg

I moved them one by one.

IMG_0448_zpsk0mu5qor.jpg

Some stayed by brood which is a normal behavior.

IMG_0449_zps38yt5ooh.jpg

But within less than 5 minutes, all ants and brood were quickly relocated to their new nest.

IMG_0451_zpsvhcnqvqo.jpg

IMG_0450_zpssa0pi8am.jpg

Edited by dean_k, April 9 2015 - 2:24 PM.

#88 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 9 2015 - 2:46 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Nice! Where did you get the red (Plastic?)? 

#89 Offline dean_k - Posted April 9 2015 - 4:30 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I suggested THA to implement it and he (Mack of THA) has done so. It's just a red film secured by two magnets.

#90 Offline dean_k - Posted April 12 2015 - 5:00 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

April 12, 2015

Ever since they moved to their new formicarum, their behaviors have altered a bit. The queen no longer leaves the designated nest no matter how panicky she is. And only one or two workers ever leave the nest.

They now also take out garbage properly. This is why I feel bigger outworld is necessary.

IMG_0489_zpssdtrquex.jpg

IMG_0493_zpsthlgiaqv.jpg

#91 Offline dean_k - Posted April 15 2015 - 2:07 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

April 15, 2015

I mentioned that the queen loves flies before.

I repeat again. This queen really, really, really, loves flies. You don't often see a fully claustral queen vigorously feeding on her own. She's been on that fly for 5+ hours.

IMG_0494_zpsgwai8cmd.jpg

Edited by dean_k, April 15 2015 - 2:09 PM.

#92 Offline dean_k - Posted April 16 2015 - 7:24 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

April 16, 2015.

A short video of a larva spinning its cocoon until a worker tries to get it away from my LED powered microscope.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#93 Offline dean_k - Posted April 21 2015 - 8:38 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

April 22, 2015

The queen is doing alright. Her strategy appears to be lay a small batch of eggs, nurse them until they become pupae, lay another small batch of eggs. Rinse and repeat.

#94 Offline dean_k - Posted April 25 2015 - 4:01 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

April 25, 2015

I realized I haven't done population check on this colony for a long time. If my memories serve me correctly, the last head count I did was 8 workers.

I now see 13 workers. It's a small increase but an increase nonetheless. The colony appears to maintain a small brood only, so far anyway. The queen headbutted walls so many times that I am amazed that she appears to be sane still.

IMG_0548_zpsl5vl1dtv.jpg

#95 Offline dean_k - Posted May 1 2015 - 3:35 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

May 1, 2015

Today's video is something I found very interesting. I gave them a dead fly and some workers were feeding it. By fluke, I came across scenes where larvae were being fed solid food. I have no idea where it came from. Their main diet has been tiny mealworm pieces and sugar water and the piece larvae was eating did not appear to be a mealworm part. It also looked like a larva was feeding directly on the fly.

I noticed it on 0:55 and the video is mostly about focusing on that.

And the pop saw a nice increase. They are at 18 workers now.

Make sure that you view the video on youtube site in theater mode.

Edited by dean_k, May 1 2015 - 3:38 PM.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#96 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted May 1 2015 - 4:23 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

April 15, 2015

I mentioned that the queen loves flies before.

I repeat again. This queen really, really, really, loves flies. You don't often see a fully claustral queen vigorously feeding on her own. She's been on that fly for 5+ hours.

My Formica queen does this as well.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#97 Offline dean_k - Posted May 6 2015 - 8:49 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

May 7, 2015.

One worker died but a few more were born. The pop is at 22 workers now.

You can see 2 callow workers in the video. They look clueless and cute at the same time.

This colony is currently my #1 favorite colony at the moment.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#98 Offline dean_k - Posted May 9 2015 - 6:49 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

May 9, 2015

I've decided to move them to former Myrmica sp's home because I needed their current home for a new Formica I've acquired today.

I took a long video of their move. The video ends when a worker drags the queen into the hole.

It begins with a lone worker dragging brood and workers into their new home. She alone literally drags everyone into their new home. I don't know how they will react to a more sophisticated formicarium. Let's hope they act to this new formicarum better than Myrmica.

#99 Offline CreeperUniverse - Posted January 21 2017 - 9:44 AM

CreeperUniverse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNYC

Ok, I have these ants as well and am having every single problem listed in this whole post...I am a new ant keeper and these are my first ants. I can see how stupid they are. 5 ants killed themselves out of 9 already. I am going to try to put coconut fiber in the nest, and then I will use something clear to put over the ants and slowly drag them all to the opening to the nest, until I force them to go in. After that, I will follow the plan to leave them alone for a few days, and check on them. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get some fruit flies just in case they do not except dubia roaches. At least they are eating honey and drinking regularly so they shouldn't die out.

P.S. I have no other colonies so I will be trying my best to save them D: I also will block them up after I get them in the nest.

#100 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 21 2017 - 12:26 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Ok, I have these ants as well and am having every single problem listed in this whole post...I am a new ant keeper and these are my first ants. I can see how stupid they are. 5 ants killed themselves out of 9 already. I am going to try to put coconut fiber in the nest, and then I will use something clear to put over the ants and slowly drag them all to the opening to the nest, until I force them to go in. After that, I will follow the plan to leave them alone for a few days, and check on them. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get some fruit flies just in case they do not except dubia roaches. At least they are eating honey and drinking regularly so they shouldn't die out.
P.S. I have no other colonies so I will be trying my best to save them D: I also will block them up after I get them in the nest.

Please don't double post and calling your ants stupid because the killed themselves doesn't make sense. I would make sure that you are taking the best care of them as possible.
  • Batspiderfish likes this

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users