• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Canadian Ytong/AAC - Want to buy some?

canada ytong aac hebel

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline altmoola - Posted April 4 2018 - 4:12 PM

altmoola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Introduction

Hello fellow Canadian ant keepers. Like many of you, I am a passionate ant keeper and have been since I was a kid. I live in Alberta and even though our winters are long as hell, in the spring and summer we get our fair share of ant activities. I'd like to be able to build my own custom formicariums just like I'm sure many of you would.

Summary

Most of us know that Ytong/Hebel/Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) is pretty universally accepted as an amazing formicarium medium. However if you're from Canada you may have experienced the same issue a bunch of people have: you can't buy any. Those fire bricks you can get at Home Depot are crap. I am wondering how many of you would be interested in buying some AAC since it's so hard to find in Canada. *Seriously, does anyone know where you can buy it?*

Product Details

I was thinking of this particular block in 6" x 8" x 24" (P/N 4065). I'm totally open to other options/sizes/manufacturers. This block would allow you to make a few formicariums - obviously depending on the size. Cutting the blocks would be up to you but should be fairly easy with a good saw.

Pricing
Here is their price list: Aercon Price List. They don't sell anything less than a pallet. Price is $320 USD for a pallet.

Based on personal experience with trucking companies, shipping into Canada will probably be another $350-450 CAD (I have some connections for this to keep it low cost). I'm not sure what duties will be due (I can also handle this). Let's put a (hopefully very) conservative estimate of $1250 CAD to bring in a pallet of this stuff. That'd make it about $16 CAD for each block.

There are 80 on a pallet. Each block is about 32 lbs so shipping to wherever you're located could be costly. I could maybe facilitate prepaid shipping on a Loomis account. Range of shipping costs could be anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on how far you are from Alberta.

Pricing Summary
P/N    Description                                                 Weight   Price                   Unit
4065   Aercon AAC Block (Ytong/Hebel Equivalent) - 6" x 8" x 24"   32 lbs   $16.00 CAD + Shipping   Each

Conclusion

Just wondering how many people would actually be interested in getting this. If there is a sufficient interest level I might be able to facilitate it.

(This was also posted on reddit/r/ants)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canada, ytong, aac, hebel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users