• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pumice Formicarium Build (Suggestions appreciated)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:46 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

sounds fun, what do you have for species

#22 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:53 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine
I don't know most them. lol. Your welcome to help me figure that out sometime. Lasius, Camponotus, Crematogaster, and lots of others that I don't really know. Most are probably Lasius species.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#23 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:54 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Yea if you pm me some time i can help, I'm not the best with some species but i know most

Edited by Hunter, February 28 2018 - 8:57 AM.

#24 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 9:25 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
So looked them all over and I have 7 Crematogaster with brood, 1 small black ant with brood that I'm guessing brachmyrmex but idk...., couple myrmica??? types with eggs, a few light colored Lasius queens with eggs / larvae and pupae, and my favorite, a camponotus p. queen and her babies / brood. Her pic is below. I also have a bunch of queens with no eggs or anything. Most lasius but some I'm sure are parasitic species that need to find a host colony. Time will tell. I'll probably release them but may attempt to track down some pupae for them or something. idk. If anyone in Maine wants some crematogaster queens I probably won't need all of them. lol.

Edited by Naturenut1233, February 28 2018 - 9:33 AM.

• rdurham02 likes this

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#25 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 9:39 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

that's camponotus pennsylvanicus, are the myrmica bumpy or smooth, and the small black ant may be formica, got a pic as well as brachmyrmex arnt in Maine, at lest not reported may be tapinoma or mono.

#26 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 9:50 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
No way to get decent pics right now unfortunately. Little black one is cute. Looking closer, She is more brown with tan legs. Thick solidly built. The two myrmica type ones are reddish and very thin and wasp like. I would say they are smooth. Brown head and gaster with slightly lighter and reddish mid section.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#27 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 10:03 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

No way to get decent pics right now unfortunately. Little black one is cute. Looking closer, She is more brown with tan legs. Thick solidly built. The two myrmica type ones are reddish and very thin and wasp like. I would say they are smooth. Brown head and gaster with slightly lighter and reddish mid section.

i don't think they are then because they look kinda bubble texture to them i would say they are

Aphaenogaster picea or Aphaenogaster treatae

#28 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

i don't think they are then because they look kinda bubble texture to them i would say they are

Aphaenogaster picea or Aphaenogaster treatae

do they look like casent0103608_p_1_high.jpgorcasent0104833_p_1_high.jpg

#29 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 10:52 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Those are great pictures. Wish I had a camera like that. In time. I put the queens back to not disturb them too much, but next time I look at them I'll try to get a closer look with a magnifying glass. :D

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#30 Offline rdurham02 - Posted February 28 2018 - 11:09 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

So looked them all over and I have 7 Crematogaster with brood, 1 small black ant with brood that I'm guessing brachmyrmex but idk...., couple myrmica??? types with eggs, a few light colored Lasius queens with eggs / larvae and pupae, and my favorite, a camponotus p. queen and her babies / brood. Her pic is below. I also have a bunch of queens with no eggs or anything. Most lasius but some I'm sure are parasitic species that need to find a host colony. Time will tell. I'll probably release them but may attempt to track down some pupae for them or something. idk. If anyone in Maine wants some crematogaster queens I probably won't need all of them. lol.

Hi! 

Sent you a PM about Crematogaster queens. 

#31 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 11:12 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Hi! 
Sent you a PM about Crematogaster queens.

Lol I would give you one but diesel got my last one

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2018 - 10:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

for AAC i use this and cut the block to size, but they only sell pallets. Also HomeDepot has hydrostone. And if you need AAC i can ask my boss at Pepin if they can do single loads.

http://www.aerconaac...l#standardblock

Home Depot does not sell Hydrostone. Are you sure you aren't talking about plaster?

Are you sure because my brother workers there and i asked him as well as seeing it in the outside section

Simply go on their website and search for it.

#33 Offline T.C. - Posted February 28 2018 - 10:44 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

for AAC i use this and cut the block to size, but they only sell pallets. Also HomeDepot has hydrostone. And if you need AAC i can ask my boss at Pepin if they can do single loads.

http://www.aerconaac...l#standardblock

Home Depot does not sell Hydrostone. Are you sure you aren't talking about plaster?
Are you sure because my brother workers there and i asked him as well as seeing it in the outside section

Simply go on their website and search for it.

Yeah, none of those stores sell it. Neither does places like Menards.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#34 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted March 1 2018 - 5:39 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Finished my first build. Seems to wick moisture nicely just by dumping a little on top. Siliconed the lids from yogurt to this on for "glass". The larger block is higher quality and even with two water chambers, it doesn't wick at all. So that might be a challenge.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#35 Offline Hunter - Posted March 1 2018 - 5:51 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

looks good

#36 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 1 2018 - 10:16 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Nice formicarium. If you want a foamy concrete, look for k23 refractory firebrick in a pottery or kiln store, it's almost like ytong, but softer. I coat the tunnels in mine with hydrostone and paint the outside with non toxic acrylic paint.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#37 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted March 2 2018 - 4:49 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
k thanks

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#38 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 2 2018 - 11:29 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Those are great pictures. Wish I had a camera like that. In time. I put the queens back to not disturb them too much, but next time I look at them I'll try to get a closer look with a magnifying glass. :D

Those pictures are taken through a microscope. This is how pinned specimens are identified.

I love the formicariums. I haven't seen a ton about pumice ones.

#39 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted March 2 2018 - 2:50 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Ahhh, I thought those had to be quite the macro lenses. :D I need to finish the second formicarium. When I do, which might be a few days, I will post the finished product here.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#40 Offline Hunter - Posted March 2 2018 - 6:39 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

If you want to i can add you to the Maine anting page

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users