• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pumice Formicarium Build (Suggestions appreciated)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 27 2018 - 6:34 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine
I have had no luck tracking down any of the materials I need to build a nest with AAC or hydrostone, etc. So decided to play around with pumice.

I carved it when wet to minimize dust, letting dry then will silicone glass on. Carved on both sides. As far as moisture, I'm planning on putting my Camponotus in there, so I don't believe they need a ton of humidity, so wasn't sure if I should just attach a test tube of water to the side, or set the whole thing in a small dish of water to allow some water to wick up to the lower chambers. It appears to not hold water and it just pours through more or less so don't expect it to wick at all. Some advice I saw online was to coat the nest with plaster but then that would make it mold... so idk. Suggestions? In other news I have so many ants with brood in all stages, so will be making a lot more formicariums.....

(In yet more news, as I was uploading pics, my 1 year old grabbed the pumice formicarium and took a bite out of it.... So a tad more silicone there when I get to that step... thankfully pumice according to poison control, won't cause any permanent problems.:D)
  • noebl1 and Scrixx like this

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 27 2018 - 11:17 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts
Is there any species that can chew through this material? Never used this stuff before.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline dermy - Posted February 28 2018 - 12:30 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I remember really long ago in 2009 Antscanada had a Tetramorium queen raised in a pill container placed inside a Pumice nest he made. I remember reading and watching in real time his experince with it. I think hydration is something that is needed on a daily/every two day basis. But his colony did REALLY well in it, here's one of my favorite videos of his Tetramorium colony when it was in a Pumice nest:

Spoiler

#4 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 4:57 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Yeah I was looking at his nests. From what I understand, some species might be able to chew through it, but most can't. Me, being the person I am, plan to throw my Camponotus colony in there, so if anyone can escape it'll be them. :P Have a larger stone to play with today, and then will try to play around with grout. I have probably over 30 queens, most with eggs and larvae, several crematogaster, and a bunch of lasius, etc.... so need to figure out this stuff pretty quick. :P

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#5 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 5:09 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

for AAC i use this and cut the block to size, but they only sell pallets. Also HomeDepot has hydrostone. And if you need AAC i can ask my boss at Pepin if they can do single loads.

http://www.aerconaac...l#standardblock

Edited by Hunter, February 28 2018 - 5:13 AM.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2018 - 5:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

for AAC i use this and cut the block to size, but they only sell pallets. Also HomeDepot has hydrostone. And if you need AAC i can ask my boss at Pepin if they can do single loads.

Home Depot does not sell Hydrostone. Are you sure you aren't talking about plaster?

#7 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 5:45 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Home Depot does not sell Hydrostone. Are you sure you aren't talking about plaster?

Are you sure because my brother workers there and i asked him as well as seeing it in the outside section

#8 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 5:48 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Hunter, I'd love to get my hands on some AAC if you can figure out some way for me to buy some. I don't want a whole pallet however. lol.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#9 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 5:53 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Hunter, I'd love to get my hands on some AAC if you can figure out some way for me to buy some. I don't want a whole pallet however. lol.

yea i can keep looking and ill ask my boss on brake in 30mins

Edited by Hunter, February 28 2018 - 5:54 AM.

#10 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 5:55 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

i have never used these people but here you go, is this what you are looking for, its a different compound formation tho.

https://www.supplyho...04aAix4EALw_wcB

Edited by Hunter, February 28 2018 - 5:56 AM.

#11 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 6:06 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I'll admit I don't know enough about concrete to know exactly what I need. Soft enough to chisel but hard enough to keep ants in is all I care about. lol. However that is hard to tell from photos.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#12 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 6:11 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

I'll admit I don't know enough about concrete to know exactly what I need. Soft enough to chisel but hard enough to keep ants in is all I care about. lol. However that is hard to tell from photos.

So that type is meant for models and for making art, its made to be hard to stand on its own but soft to be able to shape, it kinda reminds me of a easier to break cement block. The best way to describe it is as foamy cement.

Edited by Hunter, February 28 2018 - 6:17 AM.

#13 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 7:21 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Working on the second block of pumice. Love how it's coming out. Will post pics when It's all carved up. More suitable for small species like tetramorium.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#14 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 7:23 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Working on the second block of pumice. Love how it's coming out. Will post pics when It's all carved up. More suitable for small species like tetramorium.

sounds cool can't wait for pics

#15 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:04 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Plan to build an aquarium more or less around this design. Need to put in the entrances and poke two water holes in the top still but this shows both sides, with Abe Lincoln for scale. :D

• dermy likes this

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#16 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:07 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

nice what tools did you use, what are you going to encase it in

#17 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:10 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Carved with a 1/4 chisel for the most part. Poked holes with a small screwdriver and a paint can opener. Plan to use glass and silicone or maybe plexiglass. Prefer glass but not quite sure how to cut it without breaking it.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#18 Offline Hunter - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:12 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

it looks awesome and they make 5$ glass cutter knife 20120521110018202.JPGmost have a diamond tip for cutting

Edited by Hunter, February 28 2018 - 8:14 AM.

#19 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:22 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I think I have one but need to google how to use it. lol. Learning as I go.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#20 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted February 28 2018 - 8:33 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Looks easy enough. Need to make a trip to dollar tree for some picture frames now.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users