• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinder's Pogonomyrmex Californicus

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Chromerust - Posted March 4 2015 - 4:56 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Make sure you don't have any ant torture machines plugged in anywhere in your house like I did. My Pogonomyrmex did horrible until I discovered a ultra sonic pest repelents hooked up in my garage.
  • BugFinder likes this

#122 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2015 - 11:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha yeah, unplug any insect-torturing devices.

#123 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:30 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Make sure you don't have a ant torture machine plugged in anywhere in your house like I did. My Pogonomyrmex did horrible until I discovered a ultra sonic pest deferent hooked up in my garage.

Huh... so they do work.

• BugFinder likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#124 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:53 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Make sure you don't have a ant torture machine plugged in anywhere in your house like I did. My Pogonomyrmex did horrible until I discovered a ultra sonic pest deferent hooked up in my garage.

Huh... so they do work.

No. Complete BS.
  • BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#125 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 5 2015 - 9:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Make sure you don't have a ant torture machine plugged in anywhere in your house like I did. My pogos did horrible until I discovered a ultra sonic pest deferent hooked up in my garage.

Huh... so they do work.

No. Complete BS.

From what I remember reading, they still don't know exactly how they affect every different insect. They work on some, and don't work on others. From what Chromerust experienced, it was clearly stressing the ants out. The second he pulled the plug everything changed with his Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens and colonies.

• Miles likes this

#126 Offline Miles - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:21 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I have never noticed ants clearly dying from the stress of being moved. I think persistent stress can probably cause them to eat their brood and the queen to not produce much though.

I've definitely observed that even brief moments of high stress can cause major behavioral changes in colonies, often leading to their demise. Species, colony size, and nature of the move are all factors. I'm almost certain that stress was the cause of the death of this colony - Pogonomyrmex seem extremely susceptible to stress, as many ant keepers (including Ray Mendez) have noted.

Edited by Miles, March 5 2015 - 10:22 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#127 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 9 2015 - 3:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How are they doing?

#128 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 9 2015 - 3:47 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Not much change.  Queen, 1 worker, and brood.  The only thing I noticed different was yesterday I saw the worker foraging for the first time since she was the only one.  Until then, she was tending queen and brood.  When I saw her foraging I dropped a cricket in there and refilled her water.  She hasn't touched the cricket yet that I can tell, which I've found is not uncommon for this colony to wait  a few days before breaking it down and consuming it.  Once they start, it disappears pretty fast.  

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#129 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 10 2015 - 11:03 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Do you think the water I'm using could be killing them off slowly? I use tap water.  Should I be using distilled water?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#130 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 10 2015 - 11:22 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yes!!! Use distilled water please!
  • BugFinder likes this

#131 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 11 2015 - 12:49 AM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

Usually tap water contains chlorine among other chemicals, but my ants couldn't be bothered. However quality of the water will vary between areas.

• BugFinder likes this
IMG 5858

#132 Offline dean_k - Posted March 11 2015 - 5:26 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Do you think the water I'm using could be killing them off slowly? I use tap water.  Should I be using distilled water?

My Myrmica colony suffered massive death from using tap water. It wasn't a quick mass die-off but slow-progressive die-off. Once I started using bottled water, the die-off went away.

I lost 5 workers in span of a month. It was a colony with 15 workers at the time, so it was a massive die-off for the scale of the colony.

• BugFinder likes this

#133 Offline Silvak - Posted March 11 2015 - 6:02 AM

Silvak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA

Chlorine evaporates reasonably quickly, within 24-48 hours in an open topped bucket. Chloramine does not, and can persist in the water indefinitely until removed chemically. You can check your local municipal water departments to check which they use and how much. Where chloramine is used nearly every captive pet hobby recommends treating the water or using RO (reverse osmosis), DI (de-ionized), or commercially distilled water. If your area only uses chlorine you can "age" your water by leaving it out in a container for a couple of days, but in most cases it best to just buy the water. We've got an RO water dispenser in our apartment complex for only 25 cents a gallon which is perfect for my finicky pets and other hobbies........and it tastes better.

• Ra3MaN and BugFinder like this

#134 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 11 2015 - 6:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would like to do a little experiment and see exactly much of a negative affect tap water has on ants. I know there are a lot of anecdotal stories, but knowing how many things can kill off a colony of ants, or how many times a colony just has a large amount of deaths within a short period of time for whatever reason, be it natural or not, it's really hard to say for sure it was caused solely by the tap water. Of course just to be safe, and because it's probably best, I always use bottled water for any of my "pets". After all, it is a fact that there is bad stuff in tap water. One thing that comes to mind though is Argentine ants. You pretty much only find them around tap water, and oh how I wish the tap water would be doing them in, but it obviously isn't. Who knows though, maybe there's just so many of them, that you can't even tell when they are being killed off.

• BugFinder likes this

#135 Offline dean_k - Posted March 11 2015 - 7:02 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I think some species are more prone to the chemicals. I've actually been giving my Formica subsericea tap water based sugar water and they seem to be doing okay although I did lose 2 workers ever since I got them.

• BugFinder likes this

#136 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 11 2015 - 7:26 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I would like to do a little experiment and see exactly much of a negative affect tap water has on ants. 

I think the difficulty with that is the quality of tap water varies so much. It will even vary from the same purveyor depending on the condition of your pipes.

As Silvak mentioned, the majority of Southern California is moving towards chloramine which, remembering from my aquarium days, is a death sentence for many aquatic life. There's also a lot of other constituents in tap water, natural and synthetic, which are at levels safe for humans but who knows how it affects ants. 

And water also comes from different sources (groundwater, reservoirs, imported, etc.) depending on region, so there's another layer of variability. I'd rather play it safe and go with RO or distilled water.

• BugFinder likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#137 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 11 2015 - 8:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would like to do a little experiment and see exactly much of a negative affect tap water has on ants. 

I think the difficulty with that is the quality of tap water varies so much.

Yeah exactly. I thought about that.

#138 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 12 2015 - 7:28 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Bad news and good news today:  Bad news:  It looks like my last worker has died.   Good news:  I just had a worker e-close.

These are the first photos I've taken since I've started using the Talus.  I only got these photos because the queen moved everyone out of the nest, I suspect it got too dry, so I hydrated it today for her.  It did give me a good chance to get a look at what survived the move.

2 pupae (1 of those e-closed today)

and 1 small bunch of eggs.

This is the new worker

yGkmqrE.jpg

My last pupae

RV7Lu8U.jpg

Small bunch of eggs

SiooGrK.jpg

That's all that's left.  I guess all the larvae I moved didn't make it.  I don't see any of them anywhere.  She must have eaten them or something.  On a positive note, she must be eating, because that cricket was gone today.

Edited by BugFinder, March 12 2015 - 10:12 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#139 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 12 2015 - 10:05 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

That is a sizable clutch of eggs, I hope your queen is successful in raising them to maturity.  :]

Edited by Ra3MaN, March 12 2015 - 10:06 PM.

• BugFinder likes this
IMG 5858

#140 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 12 2015 - 10:08 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

You and me both! I just stopped using tap water and switched to bottled water today, so I'm hoping that solves the problem that they've been suffering from.

• Ra3MaN likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users