• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How are you heating your colonies?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 20 2014 - 11:27 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Not so much a literal "how", but schedule-wise. Do you keep them at the desired temperature 24/7? Or do you turn off the heat for a few hours to simulate night temperatures?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dermy - Posted December 20 2014 - 11:30 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

My room is a blazing 25C all the time in the winter. So no heating required.

#3 Offline dean_k - Posted December 20 2014 - 11:44 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

My room is 25C in Winter also, no extra heating is needed.

If I ever need them to be in a cooler location, I put them by window where it's around 15c. It makes them huddle together and workers stop foraging which makes detaching outworld easier to clean.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 20 2014 - 1:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

My apartment is about 90F all summer long, and could easily be that temperature all winter too, but this winter I'm trying to let it cool off in here for my ants and all my other pets. I've been keeping it the same as outside temperatures, except at night of course, where I let it get down to 70F or so.

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 20 2014 - 1:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

My apartment is about 90F all summer long, and could easily be that temperature all winter too...

And here I was thinking you just lived in the ghetto—turns out you take residence in the bowels of hell!

Edited by drtrmiller, December 20 2014 - 1:52 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted December 20 2014 - 4:27 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I don't heat, I think it's better natural on a back room that is close to the temperature outside.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted December 20 2014 - 8:18 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have two 15watt heating cables, one is on 24/7, the other is on a timer that comes on every 2 hours for 1/2 hour (otherwise they get too cold in the 18C room).

I have wine cooler I stuck a heating cable into this year.  I added a reptile thermostat to keep it around 24-26C.

Never really noticed a difference between the two heating cables, other than that the one on a timer often had ants moving brood closer and further as it heated and cooled.  The wine cooler queens were the most successful however.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users