• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gender options

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 9:20 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

i don't think gender matters too much in the ant keeping hobby.

It doesn't matter at all.   Some people (often religious people, vegans, and people who claim to be other "genders", and even, believe it or not, people who claim to be other species) often just seem to be determined to push their ideas onto everyone else, and demand special accomodation, or attention, for these ideas, even in areas where there really is no relevance at all, like in ant keeping.

• TennesseeAnts, NickAnter, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 3 others like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#22 Offline jushi - Posted May 6 2020 - 1:11 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

In my opinion politics and ants are two separate things. Part of the reason I joined this hobby was to get an escape from that sort of thing. This is a very heated debate and here, on an ant keeping forum, isn't the place to have it. I don't think the OP or anyone who responded intended to start anything. It's an important matter however and it's up to Drew to decide how it should be resolved. There still is the option of selecting "Not saying" too if you still feel there is a problem. You can also select the gender you prefer and state elsewhere what your situation is :) .

• TennesseeAnts, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#23 Offline Serafine - Posted May 6 2020 - 1:50 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I don't see why this is a problem.  If only gender was assigned in humans as it is in ants, this would be much simpler to sort out.

Um, no.

Hi, I'm new here so I don't know if this has already been discussed... When I was creating my account it asked for my gender and gave me the options of male, female, or "I'm not telling". I don't want to start on politics here, but as somebody who identifies as nether male or female I feel like the third option should say something else (even "other" is better!).

Yes, it wouldn't hurt anyone to have it (isn't it legally official by now?) so I'd say just go and implement it, problem solved.

The entry is utterly irrelevant anyway, nobody is ever looking up user profiles to find out their gender (so it really doesn't matter if there's three options or four).

If it was for me they could remove this entry entirely.

Edited by Serafine, May 6 2020 - 2:25 PM.

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 3 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#24 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 6 2020 - 2:12 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hey! It's T.C's pfp but as an ant! 

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#25 Offline Martialis - Posted May 6 2020 - 2:34 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

deleted

Edited by Martialis, May 6 2020 - 2:37 PM.

Spoiler

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 6 2020 - 3:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

POPULAR

Dang! Why are these old, charged threads being dragged up out of the nether regions? You guys who keep doing this please stop. The LAST thing we need to get going is another hurtful argument that has zero to do with ants. I’m frankly troubled to see how this COVID situation has transformed the friendly nature of this forum.
  • Reacker, FeedTheAnts, AntsMaryland and 9 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#27 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 6 2020 - 6:46 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Maybe the whole problem would be solved if we stopped using the term Gender.  That seems to be the problem.  if it just said "Sex", as in what is your biological sex, maybe people could avoid being offended by it, AND not force half the country who disagrees with them to go along with them on something they completely disagree with.  Now that sounds like a good compromise to me!

• Ants_Dakota, jushi and MrOdontomachus like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#28 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 6 2020 - 6:48 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Dang! Why are these old, charged threads being dragged up out of the nether regions? You guys who keep doing this please stop. The LAST thing we need to get going is another hurtful argument that has zero to do with ants. I’m frankly troubled to see how this COVID situation has transformed the friendly nature of this forum.

Why shouldn't people talk about things they want to talk about?   If someone is being unkind, then that behavior is the problem, not the topic.

If it was important enough, or ok for the OP to bring it up, it's ok or important enough for people to talk about it if they want to.  For those who don't want to, there are tons of other threads available.

• jushi and MrOdontomachus like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#29 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted May 6 2020 - 6:52 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

I completely agree with the statement that all genders should be represented, however, this is a ant forum so why not remove it altogether.  :)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Plants r cool

#30 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 6 2020 - 6:58 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

if we removed it, would that mean all genders were not being represented?   Would it mean that no genders are being represented, and if so, would that be a problem for anyone?   Would someone be offended that no genders are beng represented?   That could actually mean that people who identify as genderless are actually the only ones who would be represented, which would mean anyone who identified as being a specific gender would be excluded.   We wouldn't want to exclude anyone would we? 

And by "all genders", exactly how many genders are you referring to?  Is there a specific number of genders?  If yes, how does that number not exclude other genders not currently accounted for?  If not, how do you represent all genders if the number of potential genders are infinite?   

• MrOdontomachus likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#31 Offline Serafine - Posted May 6 2020 - 7:09 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Maybe the whole problem would be solved if we stopped using the term Gender.  That seems to be the problem.  if it just said "Sex", as in what is your biological sex, maybe people could avoid being offended by it, AND not force half the country who disagrees with them to go along with them on something they completely disagree with.  Now that sounds like a good compromise to me!

No it wouldn't solve the problem, even with biological sex we'd still need a third option for people in between the two polar ends of the phenotype spectrum. And yes, they exist - they are by far not as many as social media wants to make you believe but they do exist.

And no, genetics doesn't help you there either, in fact it just makes the whole situation even more complicated.

Edited by Serafine, May 6 2020 - 7:12 PM.

• AntsMaryland, EthanNgo678 and MrOdontomachus like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#32 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted May 6 2020 - 7:26 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

if we removed it, would that mean all genders were not being represented?   Would it mean that no genders are being represented, and if so, would that be a problem for anyone?   Would someone be offended that no genders are beng represented?   That could actually mean that people who identify as genderless are actually the only ones who would be represented, which would mean anyone who identified as being a specific gender would be excluded.   We wouldn't want to exclude anyone would we? 

And by "all genders", exactly how many genders are you referring to?  Is there a specific number of genders?  If yes, how does that number not exclude other genders not currently accounted for?  If not, how do you represent all genders if the number of potential genders are infinite?   

In my mind having no gender options would just exclude gender from the forum in general. After all we don't come here to look at peoples genders from their profile. Keep in mind this is just my opinion so please don't hold this agents me. To you second question, I'm not positive how many genders people identity with. But I support all of them  :), having no gender option could solve this, however, adding a neither button would also be OK. 

Plants r cool

#33 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 6 2020 - 7:29 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Biological sex is not a spectrum (that's leftist propaganda, not science), but you are right, there are a few (very few) people born both male, and female.   That's not a seperate biolotical sex.  it's a genetic abnormality forced on people who drew a bad hand from the genetic lottery.  Those people should be the recipients of empathy and compassion, just as the people who claim they are one of the many alternative genders....    What they should not receive is our cooperation in attempting to control the rest of us.   They don't need to change everyone else's mind in order to live their lives the way they want.   They should get on living it instead of insisting on being offended by everything that doesn't conform to their own individual world view.

• Ants_Dakota and MrOdontomachus like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#34 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 6 2020 - 7:32 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

In my mind having no gender options would just exclude gender from the forum in general. After all we don't come here to look at peoples genders from their profile. Keep in mind this is just my opinion so please don't hold this agents me. To you second question, I'm not positive how many genders people identity with. But I support all of them  :), having no gender option could solve this, however, adding a neither button would also be OK. 

But the question from leftists would become who are you?  You see it's all about identity with those folks.  If you don't score high enough on their "heirarchy of vicimhood" chart, then you don't get to havce an opinion on that, or on anything else.    And if you do show up somewhere on their chart, for instance, maybe you are a gay white man, if a gay woman, or a  gay black man has a different opinion on that subject than you do, then their perspective becomes more valid and more important than yours, because they end up higher on the chart of the oppressed than you do.   That's how the leftist ideology works.   Which is why it should not be taken seriously.

• MrOdontomachus likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#35 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 6 2020 - 7:34 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I'm not positive how many genders people identity with. But I support all of them  :)

How is it possible to support all of them if you don't know how many there are?

• Ants_Dakota and MrOdontomachus like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#36 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted May 6 2020 - 7:43 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

I'm not positive how many genders people identity with. But I support all of them  :)

I've never done reaserch on this topic and only know of my friend's genders but I'll do a little. Ahem,  this does not belong to me but I think it accurately describes the gender spectrum, (https://www.quora.co...ical-difference), see the first post. I support everyone as long as its safe, healthy, and everything in between. 

Plants r cool

#37 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 6 2020 - 8:02 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I've never done reaserch on this topic and only know of my friend's genders but I'll do a little. Ahem,  this does not belong to me but I think it accurately describes the gender spectrum, (https://www.quora.co...ical-difference), see the first post. I support everyone as long as its safe, healthy, and everything in between. 

We aren't allowed to talk about whether what they are doing is healthy or not because it offends them.  That's one of the many new rules they insist we all to follow.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#38 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2020 - 10:45 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I feel guilty posting on here, as many people seem to dislike this thread and I'm probably gonna start another argument, but I feel I could give my opinion on the matter. If new gender options are not implicated, I have the next best thing. If you do not identify as either male or female, I myself am non-binary, you could select "Not telling" and then give a description of your prefered gender and pronouns in your profile description. I suppose it could work, and it's what I'm doing.

• EthanNgo678 and TennesseeAnts like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:56 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I'm probably not the one who should be saying this, but everyone here needs to calm down.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, Ants_Dakota and jushi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#40 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted May 8 2020 - 7:06 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think it should be phrased something like this; 

Everyone, get down from cloud nine or whatever you're on because this is about ants. You want to talk about genders? Go on the off-topic section of the forum. Unless we're talking about ant's genders we shouldn't have this conversation on the forums and feedback section. I am not against other gender options on the profile, but no one really looks at your profile gender unless they're really creepy (and that's the PG version since there is probably a plethora of 12 yr old's that shouldn't be on this forum, but that's another topic). Personally, my advice is get over yourselves, if you want different profile, just PM @dspdrew, but don't spam the poor guy, and stop making a giant deal out of things that don't need to be a big deal if you use you're brain (you have it for a reason). Besides that, just stop taking out your COVID energy and negative vibes on this forum. Go to an online chatroom or some website that nobody gives a sh*t about what you say, because I, among with other people who use this forum for anting and not chatting, are personally getting fed up with this nonsense. Just use your bloody brains people!  

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and jushi like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users