• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gender options

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RayBuc - Posted January 12 2018 - 12:56 PM

RayBuc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Northern Michigan, USA

Hi, I'm new here so I don't know if this has already been discussed... When I was creating my account it asked for my gender and gave me the options of male, female, or "I'm not telling". I don't want to start on politics here, but as somebody who identifies as nether male or female I feel like the third option should say something else (even "other" is better!).

• Reacker, Mettcollsuss, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:02 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

This is not a political site. If you believe you are other than Male or Female, then pick one that suits you best or not telling. Nobody is going out of their way to fix the gender options for the signup.

Please, if you identify yourself as the "nether", feel free to take it to a political forum.

• BugFinder, Martialis, AntsBC and 3 others like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:06 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Hi, I'm new here so I don't know if this has already been discussed... When I was creating my account it asked for my gender and gave me the options of male, female, or "I'm not telling". I don't want to start on politics here, but as somebody who identifies as nether male or female I feel like the third option should say something else (even "other" is better!).

That's just the forum software settings. If you or someone else here "feels" to be another, then simply leave it at "not telling." 

• dermy, Martialis, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:08 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

deleted

Edited by Martialis, May 6 2020 - 2:35 PM.

• BugFinder, Ants_Texas, AntsBC and 1 other like this
Spoiler

#5 Offline RayBuc - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:19 PM

RayBuc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Northern Michigan, USA

I was just suggesting a less offensive word change, that's all

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:21 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I was just suggesting a less offensive word change, that's all

How is it offensive?

• BugFinder, AntsBC, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this
Spoiler

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:25 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

POPULAR

I don't expect ant-keepers to understand the nuances of gender and how such a topic is separate from biological sex which, physiologically, in of itself, is not hard-coded nor binary. We understand that many people have conniptions when movements are forwarded to make the smallest accommodations for people who live different lives. I am sorry that your welcome is less than stellar. I recognize your identity and hope we can make a small change to improve profile features.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 12 2018 - 1:26 PM.

• Reacker, dermy, drtrmiller and 10 others like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:28 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I don't expect ant-keepers to understand the nuances of gender and how such a topic is separate from biological sex which, physiologically, in of itself, is not hard-coded nor binary. We understand that many people have conniptions when movements are forwarded to make the smallest accommodations for people who live different lives. I am sorry that your welcome is less than stellar. I recognize your identity and hope we can make a small change to improve profile features.

Will you please teach us, then?

I don't really see how gender matters on an ant forum, personally.

Edited by Martialis, January 12 2018 - 1:41 PM.

• Hunter, Ants_Texas, TennesseeAnts and 6 others like this
Spoiler

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:49 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I don't see how the fact we are ant keepers, has anything to do with our acknowledgement on this matter? It's simply a hobby, and plays no role in other circumstances such as this.

• BugFinder, ctantkeeper, TennesseeAnts and 4 others like this

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

POPULAR

The options given were supplied by the software company, not the owners of this forum.  If it's something that can be easily changed, I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind adding a "Non-Binary" option.  If the software options can't be expanded, but the gender option can be disabled, that might also help to assuage future concerns.

As an aside, it's extremely troubling how members of this forum would be so condescending and hateful to your simple request for inclusion and recognition by means of a small change to the gender selection box—especially in the chat room, where I observed outright contempt for you as an individual, adding to the frequent homophobic and racist remarks and slurs I've also observed from others in past discussions.

While it is critical to the continued growth of this community that we make every aspiring antkeeper feel welcome here, the reality is that these sorts of positive discussions and requests are likely to trigger some of our more sensitive members to post intolerant remarks, or to proceed to ask questions in bad faith, as evidenced by some of the responses thus far.  Consequently, it is probably best if requests of this type are directed to the forum admin dspdrew through private message, rather than put forth for public discussion.

• Reacker, nurbs, dermy and 20 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline Martialis - Posted January 12 2018 - 2:00 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I mean, if it's causing this much trouble, we can just remove the gender option entirely..

• jushi and MrOdontomachus like this
Spoiler

#12 Offline Martialis - Posted January 12 2018 - 2:21 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
This chat message embodies I am saying:

gallery_1053_911_3901.jpg
  • dermy, Kevin, Hunter and 6 others like this
Spoiler

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 12 2018 - 2:23 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Ok, here comes the sex ed that geneticists wish more people had. A disclaimer, though: I am a cisgendered person and am lacking in full representation of this subject.

Your body is a result of your genes and your environment. Your chromosomes house your genes, but they are not directly responsible for how those genes are expressed -- that task goes to RNAi's, DNA methylation, nucleosome packing, and a variety of other systems which work outside your DNA. You can be assigned male at birth and have an XX chromosome or assigned female with XY. You can also have both male and female features (intersex) with either set. Sometimes genes will hop from one chromosome to another. X and Y do not represent two separate aspects of sexuality; in fact, X and Y each house male and female genes, as well as anti-male and anti-female genes. How your body ends up forming depends on the balances of hormones which some of these genes code for (they can also come directly from environmental sources). Your body expresses hormonal balances differently throughout your life. Sexual characteristics do not always develop uniformly throughout the body.

"Biological sex" is not anybody else's business except possibly the person's doctor.

Gender is the social role of human polymorphism. Western cultures heavily influenced by the Christian definition of gender will often think of it as binary male/female, and expect individuals belonging to either group to look and behave in a certain way. Islam also embraces this dichotomy, but recognizes that which group a person belongs to is not always clear and allows the individual to adjust this. Hinduism and Buddhism recognize androgynous and agendered classes in addition to male and female. Gender is a result of culture -- it doesn't matter what kind of body you have; gender is how you fit into society. The social dichotomy of male and female is not objective. Sometimes people don't even wish to participate in cumbersome gender roles.

I am sorry about the ant-keeping comment -- I was very annoyed at RayBuc's welcome. It's not like any of you would be affected by this change nor be a part of the work of making it.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 12 2018 - 3:23 PM.

• Reacker, nurbs, drtrmiller and 6 others like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#14 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 12 2018 - 2:44 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I'm sorry if you feel that you are being under represented. I speak for all of us here on formiculture when I say that we all respect one another and those outside of our community no matter, ethnicity, creed or religious background. Our interest in ant keeping has no affect on how we treat and respect our fellow human beings and anyone who says otherwise is posing a false image of our community. I hope that you find all that you are looking for and I am glad to welcome you into our little group. It's not much, but the people are nice and welcoming (for the most part) and are often quite knowledgeable. happy to have you aboard :).

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 12 2018 - 3:17 PM.

• drtrmiller, Batspiderfish, Nathant2131 and 1 other like this

#15 Offline nurbs - Posted January 12 2018 - 2:45 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

POPULAR

I grew up as an Asian minority. As a child, I used to want to be white with pretty blonde hair and blue yes, because that's what all my role models and superheroes in the media showed. Whenever they did show a minority (Asian) on TV or in the movies, it was either stereotyped or was the butt of a joke. Being the only Asian kid attending elementary school in South Carollina, I was ashamed to be Asian. I have since learned there is nothing to be ashamed about.

It is even worse when you're a minority of minority of minorities (example - a black biological male that identifies as a female who also really loves ants such as Dorymyrmex), it's even harder for the majority to understand your point of view because they've never experienced it.

Don't let all these comments deter you from making more posts and joining the discussion, RayBuc! All these people here who have commented are actually good, decent folks. They just have never been in your shoes and experienced your point of view. 

• Reacker, Zeiss, drtrmiller and 8 others like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#16 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 12 2018 - 3:15 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I grew up as an Asian minority. As a child, I used to want to be white with pretty blonde hair and blue yes, because that's what all my role models and superheroes in the media showed. Whenever they did show a minority (Asian) on TV or in the movies, it was either stereotyped or was the butt of a joke. Being the only Asian kid attending elementary school in South Carollina, I was ashamed to be Asian. I have since learned there is nothing to be ashamed about.

It is even worse when you're a minority of minority of minorities (example - a black biological male that identifies as a female who also really loves ants such as Dorymyrmex), it's even harder for the majority to understand your point of view because they've never experienced it.

Don't let all these comments deter you from making more posts and joining the discussion, RayBuc! All these people here who have commented are actually good, decent folks. They just have never been in your shoes and experienced your point of view. 

It might not seem like it, but I know how you feel. I have mild autism and often have trouble with certain aspects of communication such as recognizing body language and speech patterns. For most of my life, I have been physically beaten and harassed by my peers for being different. My fascination with ants and other invertebrates certainly didn't help me with my situation. It's hard to step out of your own perspective and see what life is like through the eyes of others. People will judge you for breaking a certain mold or for not accepting the status quo, but others will respect you for who you are despite or even for the differences / quirks that set you apart. Life lesson : Try to hang out around the latter and except that those pertaining to the former are only a vocal minority.

• Martialis likes this

#17 Offline JasonD - Posted January 12 2018 - 4:40 PM

JasonD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

This disgusts me. Everyone knows Solenopsis is the only genus worth keeping.  

Thanks for sharing your perspective Nurbs. @OP I don't see why "other" shouldn't be implemented.  

• nurbs and MrOdontomachus like this

#18 Offline T.C. - Posted January 12 2018 - 6:20 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I am sorry about the ant-keeping comment -- I was very annoyed at RayBuc's welcome. It's not like any of you would be affected by this change nor be a part of the work of making it.

I assume since I was the one who made the statement after your first post, that this was directed towards myself? To make things clear, all I stated was as follows. "That's just the forum software settings. If you or someone else here "feels" to be another, then simply leave it at "not telling." There was nothing wrong with this statement and I in fact welcomed RayBuc in the original introduction post. Do I feel as if the changes need to be done? No, to be honest and that is for personal reasons. But  I don't care one way or another and drew can do whatever he likes on this matter. Also, just so your aware I took biology. I know how it works for the most part, although I might need to do a little research as a refresh. My views haven't even been stated on this matter as not only do I lack the time, but it's simply not something I am willing to discuss with some people.

• Martialis, VoidElecent, Chicken_eater100 and 4 others like this

#19 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted January 19 2018 - 11:44 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
i don't think gender matters too much in the ant keeping hobby.
  • BugFinder, jushi and MrOdontomachus like this

#20 Offline T.C. - Posted January 19 2018 - 11:55 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

i don't think gender matters too much in the ant keeping hobby.

"Gender" has nothing to do with this hobby, as I have stated.  However the changes are being considered. This topic was a while ago, so no need to keep re-bringing up this thread. If the changes are made, this or another thread will be updated.

Edited by T.C., May 22 2018 - 6:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users