• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 06 Research and Design (Updated 11-26-2023)

formicarium container out world enclosure how-to diy design nest dspdrew tutorial

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#161 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 17 2020 - 3:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hopefully all those white dots on the wood are sand grains and not grain mites.

Haha, not mites. I check for those constantly.

#162 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted July 17 2020 - 5:16 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

wow! that looks neat

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#163 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 19 2020 - 4:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I had something very strange happen with one of my formicariums. I don't know what the deal was with whatever was in this liquid feeder, but it appears to have caused some sort of reaction with the resin. I honestly have no idea what happened.

gallery_2_255_699096.jpg

gallery_2_255_551460.jpg

gallery_2_255_446178.jpg

This is what it looked like about a month later.

gallery_2_255_1040113.jpg

gallery_2_255_840387.jpg

gallery_2_255_441935.jpg

#164 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 20 2020 - 10:44 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

I had something very strange happen with one of my formicariums. I don't know what the deal was with whatever was in this liquid feeder, but it appears to have caused some sort of reaction with the resin. I honestly have no idea what happened.

gallery_2_255_699096.jpg

gallery_2_255_551460.jpg

gallery_2_255_446178.jpg

This is what it looked like about a month later.

gallery_2_255_1040113.jpg

gallery_2_255_840387.jpg

gallery_2_255_441935.jpg

Woah..That’s quite a lot of damage. Do you think it will endanger the ants safety?

Edited by TechAnt, September 20 2020 - 10:44 AM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#165 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2020 - 10:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It didn't seem to. I have since scraped all the loose part out.

#166 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 20 2020 - 11:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks like the fungus in the old Super Mario Bros movie.
  • Boog likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#167 Offline Boog - Posted November 7 2020 - 1:47 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Trying something out.

gallery_2_255_617574.jpg

So how is this working out so far? Looks sharp! I wonder how the wood handles moisture over time.

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#168 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 7 2020 - 11:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's ok, but I never do well with this species.

#169 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 9 2020 - 5:57 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Hey how did that wooden nest chamber go that you posted about in July? 

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#170 Offline aznphenom - Posted January 14 2021 - 12:32 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

What bits do you use to drill such perfect holes? and is that a custom printed plug for those holes?

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#171 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 14 2021 - 12:57 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I've started experimenting with a very small formicarium that can be used for colony founding. This will also be compatible with the larger formicarium so that it can easily fit together to allow the colony to move out of the smaller one and into the larger one when the time is right. The top portion will fit on top of the larger formicarium in place of the out world with a hole in the same spot, leading down into the larger nest. Once they've moved in, you can then replace this with the regular out world for that formicarium.

So far this is pretty similar to the typical petri dish setup, only I am trying to find a way to keep it hydrated for a long period of time, as I will always do with all my formicariums.

The bottom container will hold water that will be wicked up into the inner chamber in the top container only, leaving the out world dry.

med_gallery_2_255_571270.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_359948.jpg

I used a layer of Hydrostone on the bottom of the inner chamber that's connected through three round holes to another layer of Hydrostone on the bottom. The sponge soaks up water and transfers it to the Hydrostone layer on the bottom, and up into the layer of Hydrostone inside the inner chamber. This is working so far, but the 1/4 inch hole in the inner chamber is letting a little too much of the humidity out and into the out world portion. I haven't decided if I want to make this adjustable yet, and if I don't, it will have to be 1/4 inch to make sure most of the largest queens can still fit through it. Never mind the extra layers of plastic and Hydrostone under the inner chamber, because I'll be cutting the bottom off those little containers, eliminating some of them.

med_gallery_2_255_363815.jpg

I decided I'm going to put a thin layer of Hydrostone in the bottoms of all my out worlds to allow absorption of any excess liquids, and better grip for the ants. This layer of Hydrostone does not connect in any way with layers of Hydrostone on the bottom of the inner chamber and on the underside of the top container, or the ports between them, therefor it should stay dry.

med_gallery_2_255_333828.jpg

The inner chamber will also have a removable lid to allow for microscope observing, and easy cleaning.

med_gallery_2_255_348014.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_418600.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_60129.jpg

this is what i call confusingly smart

シグナチャーです。예.

#172 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2021 - 12:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey how did that wooden nest chamber go that you posted about in July? 

It was alright, but the colony eventually died off. C. laevissimus always seem to die off on me eventually.

#173 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2021 - 12:52 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What bits do you use to drill such perfect holes? and is that a custom printed plug for those holes?

Stepper bits, and yes I 3D print the plastic plugs.

#174 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2021 - 2:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So in the past I have had trouble with grain mites spreading through every colony in whatever cabinet I had them in. Fortunately, they're harmless and really just a nuisance, but I have heard of some people having parasitic mites spread through all of their colonies, which would be a real disaster. The main problem is by the time you notice the mites, they have probably already spread to every other colony around them.

I decided to find the best way to make sure that if there ever was an outbreak, it would remain confined to that one colony and no others.

So here is what I came up with, designed specifically for my laboratory-style formicariums. It should keep the formicarium and water tank completely isolated from the cabinet they are in.

gallery_2_255_1173632.jpg

gallery_2_255_179612.jpg

gallery_2_255_704782.jpg

gallery_2_255_782067.jpg

gallery_2_255_603139.jpg

This is the formicarium and water tank on top of it.

gallery_2_255_1067298.jpg

gallery_2_255_390205.jpg

You can either put soap water or oil in them, both of which should stop the mites. The lid should keep the evaporation to a minimum if you are using soap water. It also keeps it from spilling when moving it around. It's actually almost impossible to get anything to splash out of a hole in the lid like that, short of violently shaking it.

I have oil in this one here.

gallery_2_255_623299.jpg

gallery_2_255_1003655.jpg

I'm sure there is always a chance the mite could fall off and end up loose in the cabinet, but it would certainly never make it into another colony, and probably wouldn't live long.

I guess if I wanted to, I could design them with a little more space between them and the formicarium to also keep your colony from being attacked by other small pest ants like Argentine ants.

• B_rad0806 and UtahAnts like this

#175 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2023 - 1:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Drilling these holes precisely is a real PITA and time consuming.

gallery_2_255_230800.jpg

I solved that problem.

gallery_2_255_143204.jpg

gallery_2_255_470379.jpg

gallery_2_255_337874.jpg

• 100lols likes this

#176 Offline 100lols - Posted November 29 2023 - 8:56 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
That looks very satisfying to use. Smart way to streamline production!

#177 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 11 2024 - 1:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The mite isolation stands have been working great. I while back I found a colony with a bad grain mite infestation and I didn't find a single mite on anything else around it.

gallery_2_137_20266.jpg

gallery_2_137_184916.jpg

#178 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 11 2024 - 1:41 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCalif.

That poor C. ocreatus queen, haha.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, container, out world, enclosure, how-to, diy, design, nest, dspdrew, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users