• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

MEEP MEEP! Meet the Speedos - Serafine's Lasius niger

lasius lasius niger

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted April 29 2018 - 9:57 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I'm pretty sure Lasius species cannot hibernate with pupae. Your best bet is to just wait them out. Until they have no more pupae.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#62 Offline Barristan - Posted April 29 2018 - 10:16 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I'm pretty sure Lasius species cannot hibernate with pupae. Your best bet is to just wait them out. Until they have no more pupae.

That tip came a little bit late xD

• T.C. likes this

#63 Offline Serafine - Posted April 29 2018 - 12:10 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Hmm Electric Fly Swatter with some fly bait? hmmm

nice idea which I will pinch.
Actually now I'm thinking insect trap, with bait, for endless ant food

I have a hand-held one (with batteries) which works well on the flies that come into the room when I just leave the window open for a minute.

I wonder what my neighbor was thinking when I was running around slapping flies while filming everything...

Probably that you're one of those weird real life youtube stars earning a furtone with doing crazy stuff :lol:

Edited by Serafine, April 29 2018 - 12:10 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#64 Offline CoolColJ - Posted April 29 2018 - 4:55 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

This is the next step B)

Edited by CoolColJ, April 29 2018 - 5:07 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#65 Offline Serafine - Posted May 13 2018 - 12:54 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

These girls are kinda hilarious. They didn't bother with the shrimp when it was still moist and squishy, now that it dries out they suddenly seem to like it.

After a few unsuccessful attempts to check their brood status...

... I finally resorted to brute force and lifted their tube out of the outworld for a few seconds. Looks like they've been busy during the last weeks, there's even some pupae (probably the few remaining big larvae from last year).

They also got a new fresh tube some weeks ago and I just spotted workers traveling between their current nest tube (which has almost no water left) and the new one. That obviously doesn't mean they're about to move but well, maybe when the old one dried up entirely.

Edited by Serafine, May 13 2018 - 1:01 AM.

• Dreamer likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#66 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Update?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, lasius niger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users