• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will multiple queens fight?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 11 2014 - 6:23 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Say by some stroke of luck I happen to come upon a swarm and find multiple queens but only have one container available. Would it be a bad idea to collect a number of queens in the same container until I make it home? I imagine different species would not work out, but what about queens of the same species? Will they end up clobbering each other?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 11 2014 - 6:32 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Depends on the queen and the species, some are made for multiple queens such as Formica and Myrmica. I have a Formica cinerea with 4 queens. Sometimes the queens will just not want to so it depends on the queen. If your going to do this, combine them right after a nuptial flight. There are ways to combine colonies but it's much harder.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 11 2014 - 6:34 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
They will not fight until you get home as long as they are the same species, some species even tolerate multiple producing queens in a single nest.
  • drtrmiller likes this

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 11 2014 - 6:55 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Ok thanks. I'm just thinking hypothetically come spring. The common species I see around where I go are usually Pogonomyrmex and maybe Camponotus now that I know what their giant queens look like.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline dean_k - Posted November 11 2014 - 7:05 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Polygyny ant species can keep more than one queen in a single colony but it seems there are certain criteria even for them.

Crystals has a Myrmica colony with 3(!) queens in a single test tube. She sold a colony with 2 queens to me.

Prenolepis imparis also seems to be polygyny.

From what I've read, some species will be only together until a worker is born and then a fight between queens begin, so it all depends on ant species.

But you can keep queens temporarily in a single container for a bit. I've done it before with Lasius queens but they will try to keep a distance from each other. :P

Edited by dean_k, November 11 2014 - 7:06 PM.

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 11 2014 - 8:25 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you catch them while landing, and not digging them out of their founding chambers, they will 100% not fight. They may be aggressive towards each other if they have already been solitary for a few days.

Considering that they are a non polygyn species.

Edited by Gregory2455, November 11 2014 - 8:26 PM.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted November 11 2014 - 8:37 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Some species will not tolerate each other for even a few minutes.  Camponotus herculeanus being one of them...  I tried carrying two of them in a glass for 25 feet, and broke up the fight 5 times.

Other species can easily transported a day or so together if they have just flown.  Non-parasitic Formica, non-parasitic Lasius, and a few others being the ones I tried with.  I usually put them in different containers just for peace of mind.  I get those little paint containers from the dollar store, I can fit about 8 in one coat pocket.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 11 2014 - 8:54 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I usually put them in different containers just for peace of mind.  I get those little paint containers from the dollar store, I can fit about 8 in one coat pocket.

Can you find a picture example of this? I've been looking out for ideal containers to carry around, just in case!

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 11 2014 - 8:57 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've been looking out for ideal containers to carry around, just in case!

Ummmm, test tubes. :)

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 11 2014 - 9:13 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Ummmm, test tubes. :)

Yes if I'm going anting, but not exactly convenient to shove a few glass tubes in my pocket if I'm going out for other business :( . Something smaller and plastic would work better.

#11 Offline dean_k - Posted November 11 2014 - 9:29 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

You know those tool boxes with nails, right?

You can use it to keep ants for a short period. Use a lap or a tin foil to separately seal chambers if you want.

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 11 2014 - 9:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Plastic test tubes. :sarcastic: I have both :P

#13 Offline DesertAntz - Posted November 11 2014 - 9:58 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

If you happen to have old pill bottles, those could work. Or move the contents of an occupied one into a sandwich bag or something. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 12 2014 - 6:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Be careful putting too many formicines into one small container if it is going to be rattled around a bit in your pocket. I think they get agitated and start spraying formic acid which then ends up killing most of them. This happened to me while collecting Camponotus vicinus, and while collecting Myrmecocystus navajo. I had about 10 of them in a container slightly larger than an old film container, and they almost all ended up dead within about 20 minutes. I could smell the strong smell of formic acid in their too. For some reason though, this didn't happen when I had 10 Myrmecocystus cf. mimicus together in one container.

#15 Offline dermy - Posted November 12 2014 - 6:35 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have a Myrmica colony that had 10 queens in the nest [more then that since I didn't collect them all] and they have been doing good, I separated out 2 queens with 20 workers because of the problems I was having with the setup, not the ants themselves.

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 12 2014 - 7:42 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nooooo! 10 Myrmecocystus navajo? Such a waste. :(

#17 Offline dean_k - Posted November 12 2014 - 10:34 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I have a Myrmica colony that had 10 queens in the nest [more then that since I didn't collect them all] and they have been doing good, I separated out 2 queens with 20 workers because of the problems I was having with the setup, not the ants themselves.

Were they founding sisters?

Edited by dean_k, November 12 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#18 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 12 2014 - 1:20 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I would just suggest keeping them all singular queens. I once had a Lasius neoniger colony with 4 queens and the workers killed 3.

#19 Offline Crystals - Posted November 13 2014 - 7:20 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Can you find a picture example of this? I've been looking out for ideal containers to carry around, just in case!

The same containers I used here: http://forum.formicu...-liquid-feeder/

They sell them by the 6, 8, or 10 packs in the dollar stores quite often, in the paint or craft section.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#20 Offline dermy - Posted November 13 2014 - 1:17 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

DeanK- I got them when they where all in the same nest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users