• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crystal's Camponotus novaeboracensis Journal

camponotus novaeboracensis journal novaeboracensis crystals

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 6 2016 - 8:55 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

My camera is currently on vacation somewhere else, and I will post pictures once I get it back.

They just re-entered hibernation as of July 1st.

You can put them into hibernation whenever? It doesn't matter the timing of the year?

#62 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 17 2016 - 2:46 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

update this!! i jsut got a camp nova colony and i can't wait for mine to grow as big as yours!

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#63 Offline Crystals - Posted October 17 2016 - 4:32 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

They actually just came out of hibernation yesterday.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#64 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 17 2016 - 5:06 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

wow, and here i am trying to hibernate mine. i just got a camp. nova and she has ~16 workers and ~100 eggs, so i should be catching up to you in a year or 2 lol

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#65 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 17 2016 - 8:31 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

What criteria do you use when deciding to put colonies in hibernation, Crystal? Just when they seem ready, and ignore the time of the year?

#66 Offline Crystals - Posted October 18 2016 - 6:41 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

What criteria do you use when deciding to put colonies in hibernation, Crystal? Just when they seem ready, and ignore the time of the year?

When the colony is ready.  They can be tricked when it comes to hibernation time (ex. 3-4 months vs 6months), but they generally exactly how long 'summer' is supposed to be.

When the colony goes dormant and gasters are distended I know that they are ready for hibernation.

• T.C. likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#67 Offline XZero38 - Posted October 18 2016 - 9:58 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Does this species not hibernate in the winter?

#68 Offline Crystals - Posted October 18 2016 - 10:41 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

All species in my location hibernate. I just happen to have most on reverse hibernation. You can tweak their 'summer' by altering how long you leave them in hibernation.

These went into hibernation in July, and came out in October, that is 4 months.  My local winter is about 7 months.

• dermy likes this

My Colonies

#69 Offline dermy - Posted October 18 2016 - 11:46 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

All species in my location hibernate. I just happen to have most on reverse hibernation. You can tweak their 'summer' by altering how long you leave them in hibernation.

These went into hibernation in July, and came out in October, that is 4 months.  My local winter is about 7 months.

I really like doing this too, esp. since winter in the Great White North is so long. Always nice to have at least one colony going at all times :D

Can't wait to see how big this colony gets this Season :D

#70 Offline Crystals - Posted October 20 2016 - 4:56 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Here are some pictures for the record.  Lost half a dozen workers in hibernation, probably some of the older ones. Queen is alert and the overwintered larvae look healthy.

35866032142_ccb7b49df6_z.jpg

35647653800_68c1c96992_z.jpg

Edited by Crystals, December 28 2017 - 9:19 AM.

• dermy and UtahAnts like this

My Colonies

#71 Offline Leo - Posted October 20 2016 - 5:05 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

what is with the pink stuff?

#72 Offline Crystals - Posted October 20 2016 - 5:17 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

what is with the pink stuff?

It is cotton that was from a test tube with hummingbird nectar. They carried it in during hibernation. They have already packed it into the foraging area for me to clean up.

My Colonies

#73 Offline Air - Posted October 24 2016 - 6:20 AM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

What do you feed these girls??

#74 Offline Crystals - Posted October 24 2016 - 6:26 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

What do you feed these girls??

Mostly mealworms and crickets. They occasionally get fruit flies and various other insects that I found outside in summer and just froze.

I occasionally offer table scraps, they are very partial to greasy cooked chicken and fish.

I always have hummingbird nectar available and when they first come out of hibernation they hit it very hard. They have probably drank over 5 tablespoons of nectar since waking up. I have watched gasters swell up noticeably and the overwintered larvae plump up, but I still can't figure out where they are putting it all.

• UtahAnts likes this

My Colonies

#75 Offline Air - Posted October 24 2016 - 7:23 AM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

My Camponotus floridanus have access to hummingbird nectar and syrup at all times, and I will get them superworms. They never eat the superworms, and I never see their gasters full.

#76 Offline Crystals - Posted October 24 2016 - 7:37 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

My Camponotus floridanus have access to hummingbird nectar and syrup at all times, and I will get them superworms. They never eat the superworms, and I never see their gasters full.

Species found where snow falls for half of the year, and species found in much warmer locations can behave differently.

I suggest starting a new thread/journal for your colony and we can go over suggestions and other things.

The list of Preferred Foods may give you some ideas in the mean time - http://www.formicult...d-by-species/  Ants like variety, just like we do.

My Colonies

#77 Offline NightsWebs - Posted October 24 2016 - 12:38 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Crystals, its great to see how excited you are for this colony!  I would love to see this colony with alates!

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#78 Offline Crystals - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:22 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The colony is doing very well despite some light neglect on my part. They are chowing down 4-6 large meal worms every two days and are devouring hummingbird nectar like candy.

Lots of the larvae have started to pupae, some are still growing. None are large enough for alates (for which I am grateful), but it looks like I might be getting more majors.

The egg pile is too large to even estimate a count. I have a rough estimate of 600-800 workers and probably half that amount in brood. I have at least 70 in the foraging area hanging out at all times.

I am encountering a difficulty though, the workers have not forgotten their trick from last year when they discovered how to chew the edge of the vinyl tubing. They always chew the bottom section, where I am least likely to notice it. And within two months managed to chew a 1.5cm long section and I had a small jail break on my hands. About 50 workers took cover under the nest and I ended up dropping them all back in the nest.

35866034752_c2d12b78d9_z.jpg

35226915013_7af528ec3b_z.jpg

35866035882_25b7f4ed4d_z.jpg

35903284551_b29bb1881e_z.jpg

Edited by Crystals, December 28 2017 - 9:22 AM.

• dermy, benjiwuf and UtahAnts like this

My Colonies

#79 Offline Leo - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:24 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

i have a Camponotus nicobarensis but all the formicariums i buy always seem to mould

#80 Offline Crystals - Posted December 20 2016 - 6:27 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

i have a Camponotus nicobarensis but all the formicariums i buy always seem to mould

Depends on the type of material it is made out of. Plaster of paris is famous for mold. I use grout, and it doesn't mold. See the Handy Links list in my signature, there is a link in there on the pros and cons of various nest building mediums.

My Colonies

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus novaeboracensis, journal, novaeboracensis, crystals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users