• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor barbarus and sensitivity to vibration

messor barbarus vibration stress

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline skocko76 - Posted July 31 2017 - 4:49 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Hi all.

It is common knowledge that Messor barbarus seem to be especially susceptible to vibration stress.

But, I am confused. Observing their colonies in urban environment, they seem to be thriving the most in areas with a lot of traffic.

The main variable seems to be abundance of food. Near my workplace, there is a bus stop with busses waiting in neutral, people waiting for a bus, a crossroad with a lot of traffic and a parking lot. Right in between that is a narrow (3ft wide) strip of platanus trees, between the road and pavement. They produce seeds that the ants seem to eat with gusto. Right underneath the trees, there are huge colonies.

I observed similar thing near the recreational zone in my town; Near parking lots and restaurants, there are huge colonies of Messor barbarus. As you walk further into the park, they get fewer and get pushed out by Crematogaster scutellaris , seems like.

Anyone has similar experience?

As a species that likes peace and quiet, they seem awfully dependent on proximity of humans. 

• lucas3431 likes this

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 2 2017 - 1:31 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

There is a very big difference between captive and wild colonies they would probably feel much more secure deep in the ground than in a formicarium which is exposed to all sounds and vibrations. But yes it's crazy whit them. I remember that my M. structor colony would just freak out and all of them start caring brood, the queen would go out in the outworld and all that because of just a few gentle taps on their outworld. Strange the colony I have now doesn't really do this at least not to such extent.

Edited by Jonathan21700, August 2 2017 - 1:32 PM.

#3 Offline AndersT - Posted August 2 2017 - 1:55 PM

AndersT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDenmark

I think it's very different from colony to colony. I've had Messor barbarus as well, and they never really seemed to care about vibrations. 

#4 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 6 2017 - 9:46 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
I have a small Messor barbarus colony of 15-20 workers, still in a test tube setup. They are sensitive and freak out when I feed them. But they calm down as soon as they find food 😁 Workers seem more startled, carrying brood, but the queen has adventurous spirit. She's a nosy one, always coming to the entrance of the tube to check out what's going on. I don't think she freaks out as she often is the first on the food. One time I had to plug the test tube with my finger to prevent her to get out. She investigated it, climbed on the tip, and started cleaning herself 😂 I had to wait until she was done.

#5 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 8 2017 - 10:56 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Also, they really like honey-water, yet my Lasius niger colony does not. Talk about colony-personality.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: messor, barbarus, vibration, stress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users