• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Simple Discussion about my Kept ANTS

formica camponotus myrmecocystus iredomyrmex myrmecia solenopsis messor

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Offline T.C. - Posted December 7 2022 - 3:35 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Your setups are very admirable and I appreciate your attention to the details.  

• Katla likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#22 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 7 2022 - 4:58 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

For my next substrate setup i have kept for couple of years a double window glass about 1 meter tall and 60 cm wide and 2 cm thick, now the question would be how to maintain it, what substrate but obviously What (id like to pronounce that in a sort of Americana way Whuat) what species should it inhabit ? I'm not considering the camponotus species neither the serviformica. If you people have any suggestions, ideas to share about next week i can share more details about that "Window".

Maybe a pheidole or pogonomyrmex species?

#23 Offline Katla - Posted December 8 2022 - 5:37 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

For my next substrate setup i have kept for couple of years a double window glass about 1 meter tall and 60 cm wide and 2 cm thick, now the question would be how to maintain it, what substrate but obviously What (id like to pronounce that in a sort of Americana way Whuat) what species should it inhabit ? I'm not considering the camponotus species neither the serviformica. If you people have any suggestions, ideas to share about next week i can share more details about that "Window".

Idonot keep any of these species, i was more considering one that i already keep and if possible one with a interesting nest room setup style.

image.png

#24 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 8 2022 - 8:45 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Idonot keep any of these species, i was more considering one that i already keep and if possible one with a interesting nest room setup style.

Maybe your iridomyrmex then?
  • Katla likes this

#25 Offline United-Ants - Posted December 8 2022 - 11:54 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States

maybe the Camponotus fedschenkoi?

• Katla likes this

#26 Offline Katla - Posted December 9 2022 - 9:13 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

i Guess the Fedschenkoi could show me some particular chamber structure as i have yet not seen any wild pictures of any of their nests

I should be back sunday so i can share with you some pictures of the window setup 

image.png

#27 Offline Katla - Posted December 9 2022 - 9:15 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

The Iridomyrmex seem to be very destructive as they just plainly cut down anything above ground for heating purpose, but yes they would be also a nice subject for a substrate  setup, should i set up a pole to vote ?

image.png

#28 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 10 2022 - 5:50 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

The Iridomyrmex seem to be very destructive as they just plainly cut down anything above ground for heating purpose, but yes they would be also a nice subject for a substrate  setup, should i set up a pole to vote ?

If you do the poll could you send an image of the setup?

#29 Offline Katla - Posted December 10 2022 - 6:04 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

i will take pictures of the nesting part, the glass window it self with all measures and make schematics of what i intend to add as substrate levels

image.png

#30 Offline Katla - Posted December 10 2022 - 7:56 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Mentioning the Pogonomyrmex as harvester ants, i also think of my Messor cephalotes who could show interesting room structures

image.png

#31 Offline Katla - Posted December 10 2022 - 8:56 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

On a larger scale i entend at some point to aquire a salt water fish tank to use as a terrarium for some Honey Pots, I'm starting on drawings for the natural look of ot and substrate plant setup

image.png

#32 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted December 12 2022 - 5:25 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

On a larger scale i entend at some point to aquire a salt water fish tank to use as a terrarium for some Honey Pots, I'm starting on drawings for the natural look of ot and substrate plant setup

If you have a drawing ready I'd be interested to see it. I see the drawings more as concept art than a plan cause plans evolve as you go along.
I'm passionate about terrarium designs especially if you're gonna use it for an interesting species.
  • Katla likes this

#33 Offline Katla - Posted December 12 2022 - 5:48 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

If you have a drawing ready I'd be interested to see it. I see the drawings more as concept art than a plan cause plans evolve as you go along.
I'm passionate about terrarium designs especially if you're gonna use it for an interesting species.

Once i am happy with my sketches i will gladly share them here ! it is indeed more of a concept as it is planned for a far future, for now at least.

For now i can share with you my near future project of a formicarium based in a window, the measures are as follows 80 cm tall and 45 cm wide the spacing in between panels is 1.8 cm.

20221212_111151.jpg?width=328&height=702

The sides are glued with rubber and some Aluminium reinforcement, i made soem marks as you can see some time ago where i thought to drill for hydration and connections, the top is already cut open.

And here is my first ever terrarium setup i had made for my Myrmecia before she decided to get complicated, by now it has grown a succulent jungle and seems for fit for some tropical subtropical species (that i am not really fund of to be honest) i might rework the whole tank at some point just wanted to share that with tou all.

20221212_111130.jpg?width=328&height=702

the plants where tiny when i settled them in

image.png

#34 Offline Katla - Posted December 12 2022 - 10:49 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

So here an update on my several colonys,

As stated all my endemics and semi endemic except  S.Fugax are in hibernation 

Formica              Sanguinea, Rufa, Fusca, 
Camponotus       Cruentatus, Aethiops, 

All these are kept in a room that tangles in between 5 to 14 C°, in polyester boxes (tell me if youd like some pictures of that setup)

For my Exotics now

Camponotus Fedshenkoi and Myrmecia Nigriscapa (which has to catch up on hibernation) are in a closet in my bedroom at 10 to 16 C°
The Myrmecia seems to have slowed down and isn't scared of any observation any more just sitting in her test tube. The Camponotus are still quite active in the nest it self but don't forage anymore.

The Irydomyrmex Purpereus, Messor Cephalotes, Atta Sexdens, M.Placodops, M.Mexicanus (Yellow founding Queen) are still kept at 23 to 28 C°, as is the Solenopsis Fugax

The Purpereus have had a nice brood evolution and now rush out at any feeding time to swarm upon what is given to them.

IMG_20221212_095530_B001.jpg?width=936&h

Atta Sexdens still growing no have completely filled the bowl i gave them for the fungi who by the way has a brownish color (i don't know if that is usual to the species or depends on given material)

IMG_20221212_100912_B002.jpg?width=936&h

Messor Cephalotes still keep their bread nice and moïste packed with the young brood which has doubled in eggs, i can still see a large larvae. I do never see them foraging when inspecting but do find some clues of them exploring and moving seeds and substrate arround the foraging tub.

IMG_20221212_095934_B002.jpg?width=526&h

IMG_20221212_095915_B002.jpg?width=526&h

IMG_20221212_100000_B002.jpg?width=526&h

Myrmecocystus Placodops had during my absence the birth of a replete ! and couple of larvae and some brood going.

IMG_20221212_100545_B002.jpg?width=936&h

The Yellow M.Mexicanus seems infertile eggs still not evolving and the boosted worker died.

The Acromyrmex didn't use all leaves available and only picked some, they now thrive on what id call musli oat, apple peel and core and raisins (yep no more leaves available here and the one i can forage they just won't take) so the fungi did not grow during my leave. Worker count seems to have risen as they now pack all over the fungus and forage at the same time.

IMG-20221209-WA00491.jpg?width=526&heigh

The non exotic S.Fugax now has about 4 workers (can't really tell as i don't properly see into the tube) nice pile of young larvae and eggs, 4nice adult larvae. They have now made a tunnel through the substrate from the chamber back to the tubes main chamber so i gave them some jelly for sugar and protein as i don't have any spring tails nor other ant brood to offer.

IMG_20221212_101108_B001.jpg?width=526&h

IMG_20221212_101147_B001.jpg?width=526&h

All seems slow but still going on, so keep calm and drink nectar.

• Ernteameise likes this

image.png

#35 Offline Katla - Posted December 15 2022 - 11:07 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich
here is meat ant lunch time IMG_20221215_194944_B002.jpg IMG_20221215_192110_B002.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N9860 en utilisant Tapatalk

image.png

#36 Offline Katla - Posted December 16 2022 - 2:12 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

image.png

#37 Offline Katla - Posted December 19 2022 - 2:28 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Well i won't say "i told you" because i didn't, but with my self i did. The meat ants exploded as i personally predicted, my thoughts where that the second chamber would be filled at the end of the week and the brood would about double. Here we are compare with last pic i made of their setup.

IMG_20221218_170128_B001.jpg?width=526&h

Also my Placodops did enjoy some protein and larvae developed pretty fast this week
20221218_165817.jpg?width=1440&height=67

I will want to move the Placodops into a mini hearth so i decided to let the tube dry for now, I'm just worried they won't be able to move their replete into the nest. Also looking towards moving the Meat ants into a real nest once this second chamber generation hatches or giving them a bigger tube if I'm not sure they'd fill the nest.

image.png

#38 Offline Katla - Posted February 13 2023 - 9:20 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Hello everyone 

Wanted to share some of the last changes with some of my ants. Everyone is well except my Myrmecia who died of unknown causes on christmas night, so did my second mexicanus queen just after she started laying a lot of eggs. Well that sugar mom got fed to the purpereus who got some chill time because they are exploding. The Iridomyrmex are now back in the warm i only intend on not feeding them to much protein to decrease brood, i placed a new 25mm plaster test tube in the tank and they moved the same night. Brood has risen again so we are on diet time, sugars only for now but i might move them to a flat THA nest. My messor Cephalotes are growing as well they take any protein i place in there, last big meal consisted of a raw chicken leg Bone and they where at it in second to completely clean it up. It gave me some desert lifestyle vibes as they wood get any protein source available in their arid habitat, they are starting to make a very small mess with their secretion tagging the walls but all fine for now. All formicas and Camponotus are in hibernation for at least still a month. 

PS: I'm having trouble moving my Placodops from their plaster test tube to their new mini hearth.

20230213_174657.jpg?width=328&height=70220230213_174707.jpg?width=328&height=70220230213_174739.jpg?width=328&height=702

image.png

#39 Offline Katla - Posted February 13 2023 - 9:22 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Your setups are very admirable and I appreciate your attention to the details.  

Thank you again, i kinda feel like i would love doing that professionally 

image.png

#40 Offline Katla - Posted February 13 2023 - 1:28 PM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Here is the box setup with the flat THA nest, but lookign at the decor i made i feel like it is better suited for the Placodops !!
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_e26b242d-381e-4

image.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, camponotus, myrmecocystus, iredomyrmex, myrmecia, solenopsis, messor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users