• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greetings from The Netherlands

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Erik Kegge - Posted October 30 2014 - 1:08 AM

Erik Kegge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDen Haag - The Netherlands

Hello,

My name is Erik, am 45, and I live in Den Haag, The Netherlands. I am a starting ant keeper and have bought my first Lasius Niger colony last month. Not the best of times of course because the small colony needs to hibernate, which I didn't know at the time of purchase. This does give me the chance to learn as much as I can about the hobby. So I will fervently read all the topics and watch all video's.

... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune 1963

#2 Offline Alza - Posted October 30 2014 - 6:11 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Welcome mate. 

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted October 30 2014 - 6:23 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome Erik!  :D

Lasius niger are a good starting species. 

Just wait until spring and mid-summer when you get to find and collect your own queens.  :)

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline dean_k - Posted October 30 2014 - 8:46 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the dark side where your patience will be tested in various unimaginable ways.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 30 2014 - 9:08 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)

#6 Offline dermy - Posted October 30 2014 - 10:01 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Welcome to the forum, hibernation is a long boring time for ant keepers. As dean has said it will test your patience :D .

#7 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 30 2014 - 3:27 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Hello,

My name is Erik, am 45, and I live in Den Haag, The Netherlands. I am a starting ant keeper and have bought my first Lasius Niger colony last month. Not the best of times of course because the small colony needs to hibernate, which I didn't know at the time of purchase. This does give me the chance to learn as much as I can about the hobby. So I will fervently read all the topics and watch all video's.

This is how I started, just 1 tip DO NOT BE LAZY FOR YOUR START... it will make you saddened that you didn't catch all the cool species that fly early.

#8 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 30 2014 - 6:10 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Welcome Norseman.  :D

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 30 2014 - 6:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome! I think you will find this hobby very fun, as all of us have. :) 

#10 Offline Bigb - Posted November 3 2014 - 10:01 AM

Bigb

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLa Mirada, CA

Welcome!

#11 Offline Erik Kegge - Posted November 3 2014 - 11:09 AM

Erik Kegge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDen Haag - The Netherlands

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am reading a lot and watching many video's about ant keeping. In general I am a patient man so it shouldn't be a problem to wait till spring. I live near the beach and our natural sanddunes where some lasius species live you wil not find anywhere else. I am looking forward to find them. Ant keeping wise I will stick to the Lasius Niger for my first year, and will go out and chase the new Queens after their nuptial flight.

... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune 1963

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 3 2014 - 11:26 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Messor are pretty easy to keep, and personally, are pretty cool as well. :)

#13 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 3 2014 - 3:06 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

You should try your best at getting as much as you can, if you want to though. It makes it better because you get to do research about your ants and what they are, best food for them, and how hard they are. You should first try to see what species you have then catch the more easier ones, such as maybe Tetramorium, Lasius, Myrmica, and Formica.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users