• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ben's myrmica journal (1/28/2014 update)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 27 2014 - 1:08 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I appreciate the feedback.  

A month or longer ago I added prominent verbiage to the product detail page to specify that the GroTube was recommended for small colonies that have reared their first workers.

My guess is that the cavity is too large and plain for lone queens to feel secure in laying eggs.  As soon as they get their first workers, they appear to behave normally inside it.

It has been difficult to get people to understand what the point of the product is—why I developed it.  The GroTube is meant to allow the antkeeper the ability to view their small colony better than any other product.

The horizontal acrylic fastened to a high-contrast background offers superior visibility compared to every other formicary designed for small colonies.  Where one would otherwise need a flashlight to shine in a cave, or a white piece of paper placed under a test tube to be able to see the ants clearly, the GroTube allows one to observe the ants and their most intimate activities, right out of the box, in the most unobfuscated level of detail.  The durability, reusability, and ability to disassemble the thing completely to perform maintenance are just icing on the cake.

There is generally a spectrum, wherein a product that is designed for maximum comfort of the ants, is designed for minimal visibility inside the nest (one that most closely emulates an underground chamber).  The GroTube is a unique hybrid—an attempt to allow for maximum visibility, with a respectable level of comfort for ants.  The tradeoff, of course, is that it works best for ants that will customize and tailor the nest space to their liking, in order to achieve the maximum level of comfort, which is most easily achieved with a small colony, than with a lone queen.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 27 2014 - 1:23 PM.

• Ants4fun likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#22 Offline benjiwuf - Posted January 1 2015 - 5:22 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

both queens now have a clutch of brood. when they get some nanitics i will be putting them on cam (probably when i think they're close to eclosing).

#23 Offline benjiwuf - Posted January 28 2015 - 2:01 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

well, these two queens i separated both have a nice egg pile. one has pushed hers into the cotton so i couldn't get good pictures of the brood. however they are both very healthy and should have their first nanitics here shortly. i may also have to move them soon as the water in their test tubes is about half empty.

20150117_144026_zpssabzo30d.jpg
20150117_144021_zpsxucm7sbq.jpg
20150117_144012_zps009fcqwl.jpg
20150117_143913_zpsfp7ithhi.jpg
20150117_143908_zpswxw94vdu.jpg

#24 Offline benjiwuf - Posted February 2 2015 - 2:12 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

since relocating to the test tubes i've seen plenty of eggs, but never larva. i'm not sure why the queens seem to be eating the eggs. they get fed every few days, and obviously have enough water. i'm thinking they may need a foraging area that is a bit larger and maybe even some insect proteins. i will move one queen and her brood into a formicarium, and leave the other in a test tube to see what the difference is. hopefully they just need a better home.

#25 Offline Crystals - Posted February 2 2015 - 3:53 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have found Myrmica to be one of the more annoying species during the founding process.

They require sugar water and protein every other day to keep them from eating their eggs.  Young colonies are not very neat with their garbage either.  Larger colonies are very fastidious.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#26 Offline benjiwuf - Posted February 2 2015 - 6:11 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

yea i've been feeding them blue 100 every 2-4 days, but when i dropped a fruit fly i one tube today (frozen) the queen grabbed it in seconds and brought it back to her eggs. so i think not only should i rehome them, but i'm also going to supply them with insect protein as well as blue 100 (as i know they like it).

#27 Offline benjiwuf - Posted February 18 2015 - 3:43 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

one queen died, and the other refuses most everything now. i have little hope of a colony from this last queen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users