• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ben's myrmica journal (1/28/2014 update)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline benjiwuf - Posted October 21 2014 - 6:43 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

I caught three myrmica queens a few days ago (10/16/14 I believe). They are currently in a "found" formicarium from byformica together. This will become their journal when they all are settled and comfortable with each other. I will update with pictures later today as well.

Edited by benjiwuf, January 28 2015 - 2:05 AM.

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 21 2014 - 6:45 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice! I don't know what caused it, but two identical threads seem to be created by accident.

#3 Offline benjiwuf - Posted October 21 2014 - 6:46 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

yea, that was me. it didn't do anything the first time I hit post so I hit it again. it seems to have registered both though lol. I'll ask drew to delete one of them.

Edited by benjiwuf, October 21 2014 - 6:47 AM.

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 21 2014 - 12:45 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Seems fixed now. :) Back to the Myrmica sp. :D

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 21 2014 - 1:09 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I like to see Myrmica but honestly I don't like keeping them. 

#6 Offline benjiwuf - Posted October 24 2014 - 1:44 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
I had to remove one of the queens because she was less than friendly. She also spent most of her time avoiding the other two queens. Just took a bad picture of the two remaining queens huddling together at the "found" nest entrance where they like to be. i am linking my myrmica photo album, and will include more Pictures in future updates. 

http://s1290.photobu...ideshow/myrmica

Edited by dspdrew, October 24 2014 - 5:32 AM.

#7 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 24 2014 - 6:09 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

It could possibly be a different species that is not getting along, or maybe she just didn't get to know the other queens so to speak.

#8 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 25 2014 - 11:59 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

so i have since removed the problematic queen, and she has since died. the other two are taking care of each other quite nicely. the images have been added to the album above (i'm terrible at figuring out which link to use from photobucket lol).

Edited by benjiwuf, November 25 2014 - 5:33 PM.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted November 25 2014 - 12:05 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

They should do well together.  Just don't forget to feed them, as the queens will readily eat the brood if they are hungry.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 25 2014 - 12:08 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

no brood yet, just a lot of wandering at the moment. they were caught at the end of october this year so they haven't really started laying eggs yet.

#11 Offline dean_k - Posted November 25 2014 - 2:00 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Shouldn't they hibernate before laying eggs? You are in New York, yeah? Although Myrmica seems to give a middle finger about going into hibernation.

#12 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 25 2014 - 2:20 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

I wonder if the one that didn't get along was actually a different species. Hard to tell apart Myrmica!

#13 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 25 2014 - 5:12 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

that's what I'm thinking, her size dwarfed the other two just enough to be noticed (slightly taller and "stockier" is the only way I know how to phrase that lol). however since she has died I no longer felt the need to keep her in a test tube so I can no longer compare her. the myrmica (and my lasius alienus) seem to both be rather active in hibernation as well. both seem to enjoy pacing across the same areas repeatedly (almost as if they are searching for something).

edit:  yes I am in Rochester NY so any queens I caught after September I'm not really expecting to do much until I take them out of hibernation.

Edited by benjiwuf, November 25 2014 - 5:14 PM.

#14 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 25 2014 - 8:59 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I like to see Myrmica but honestly I don't like keeping them.

Why? That's one species I'm completely unfamiliar with.

How did you find the queens? I'm surprised they'd be out and about this time of the year, especially since I imagine it's much colder in NY.

Edited by Foogoo, November 25 2014 - 9:01 PM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#15 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 25 2014 - 9:32 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

October this year was rather warm, mid-upper 50's at night...? (hard to remember now), but ultimately I found them crawling around the walls outside at work during two night shifts. I haven't found any ants since then though.

#16 Offline benjiwuf - Posted December 27 2014 - 12:27 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

i've had to seperate both of these queens now since they decided to start picking each other up and drag them around the foraging area. now they are in seperate test tubes with a small brood pile. i feed them every 2-4 days and they seem to be much more comfortable in the tubes. their only food source is formula blue as they absolutely go crazy for it. they are also both out of hibernation (obviously).

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 27 2014 - 12:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Indeed, test tubes do seem better for lone queens.  

When they get at around 5-10 nanitics, they may can benefit from a more spacious habitat, such as the GroTube, where they will also be more easy to observe.

From what I gather, Myrmica are rather slow to develop.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#18 Offline dean_k - Posted December 27 2014 - 12:43 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

From what I gather, Myrmica are rather slow to develop.

Rather slow? Excruciatingly slow. But the queens appear to be a fun bunch to watch. Dominant queen controls most workers while minor queen has a small faction of her own.

Mine spent only few weeks in my fridge and that seems to be enough.

#19 Offline benjiwuf - Posted December 27 2014 - 1:02 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

it's not that they didn't like the grotube, i mean they nested in the correct area and everything. however they just never laid eggs until i took them out. they did appreciate the foraging area though, so i may just make up a small container for them to forage in. they get a touch defensive when i stuff the formula blue in their tube.

#20 Offline dean_k - Posted December 27 2014 - 1:04 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

it's not that they didn't like the grotube, i mean they nested in the correct area and everything. however they just never laid eggs until i took them out. they did appreciate the foraging area though, so i may just make up a small container for them to forage in. they get a touch defensive when i stuff the formula blue in their tube.

The same thing happened with my Lasius queen. She was in grotube for about a week and half before I relocated her to Tar Heel ants' growth chamber. She laid eggs like 2 days later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users