• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vendayn's Crematogaster sp. journal (2/09/15)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2015 - 2:42 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The other day (the 7th of this month) DspDrew gave me a bunch of different ant species. One being a Crematogaster colony. It is a very small colony (quite a nice amount of brood), but they are very active ants (especially at night) and they eat pretty much any insects I put in there. Unlike other ants I've had that have a small amount, they are actually some of the more active ones I've had. They even ate up a small piece of a peanut butter dog treat cookie, and a little bit of crushed cat food. They've actually taken the most food (along with the Acromyrmex queen) of all of the different colonies he gave me.

I wasn't too sure about having them in truth, but this is a really fun and relaxing colony to watch. So, I'm really happy he gave me them in the trade we made.

However, I did move them to a more custom ant farm from the tube (well, they moved out on their own). I gave them a bit of sand (not really enough to dig in) and a couple very small wood pieces. Unlike my last setups with substrate (or wood), I kept it a lot smaller with a much smaller container. So, it will be a lot cleaner, more organized and not so ugly to look at. I do like seeing them and everything in a more open ant farm that I can see them 24/7, but I always liked seeing ants dig and do stuff. Just my preference. The only one that won't be like that is the Acromyrmex colony. In any case, I set it up a lot better this time with these guys than my previous colonies I've had. Just a perfect size container, not much substrate that they get lost in it and only a couple small pieces of wood. Much easier and nicer keeping things smaller.

I'll take a couple pictures of their setup at some point either later today, or in the next day or two. Not anything fancy, but it is nice, clean and organized. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users