• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Arizona Anting Trip 5/21/2017

pogonomyrmex rugosus arizona

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Herdo - Posted May 21 2017 - 8:16 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Due to the recent flights in Southern California, I decided I'd take a trip out into the desert to look for some queens and/or founding chambers.  I left this morning around 6:30 A.M., grabbed some breakfast, and made my way towards the White Tanks mountain range west of Phoenix.  I got out there around 7:15 A.M. and started looking around.

Nothing.  Not a single queen or founding chamber.  I think the dryness in Arizona means I am probably going to have to wait until the next rainfall before I'll see much.

I did get some photos of established colonies while I was there though.  Sorry for the poor quality; I can't see my phone's screen while trying to take these.  I got photos of 2 different species, and I spotted 3, but left my phone in my vehicle the first time out.  The third unphotographed colony was some species of Pheidole I believe.

EDIT:  I just realized that with the way these images are embedded, you won't be able to zoom in fully to see the details.  Not sure how to fix that.  I guess if you just click on the photo, then add .jpg to the end of the URL it will give you the full image.

cD2froA.jpg

The area I was searching.  About a mile from the White Tanks park.  I chose this area because it's state trust land.

zfh4mx0.jpg

These were very interesting.  I found two separate colonies of these.  Their gasters are quite large, but seem to vary in size between the workers.  Any idea what they are?  Better photo of these below. 

ldu8q6Z.jpg

Closer photo.

ud3UdaK.jpg

This is a pretty poor photo.  It doesn't look like there is anything there, but if you zoom in you can see some large black ants.  I believe these were Pogonomyrmex rugosus, but now looking at the photos I'm not sure.  It could just be the poor quality photo confusing me.  Second photo below.

VCDBCYn.jpg

Another poor quality photo.  

5hwexGx.jpg

These two (on the piece of tile, top center) were from a different colony.  These guys seemed highly polymorphic, with no distinct castes.  

sY1dIOk.jpg

And this was the black ants nest entrance.  Lots of seed chaff around the entire edge.

EIJc7ra.jpg

Another nest entrance a few feet away, with more seed chaff.

Edited by Herdo, May 21 2017 - 8:26 AM.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 21 2017 - 9:23 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

The smaller yellow ones look like Forelius mccooki to me.

• Herdo likes this

#3 Offline Herdo - Posted May 21 2017 - 9:44 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

VoidElecent helped me with the small yellow ones in the chat.  Forelius mccooki.  Thanks again!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, rugosus, arizona

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users