• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Black Crazy Ants vs. Yellow Crazy Ants

paratrechina longicornis anoplolepis gracilipes comparison ectetera

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 19 2017 - 4:39 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Hey fellow anters, I'm looking to get some Yellow Crazy Ants, Anoplolepis gracilipes, and I already have Black Crazy Ants, Paratrechina longicornis. What is your experience with A. gracilipes as compared to P. longicornis? Do they grow at a similar rate? Are they picky eaters? How far can they spray formic acid? What kind of nest would suit them? Do they fly, mate in the nest, or both? Are they an easy or difficult species to keep?

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 19 2017 - 4:52 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Anoplolepis are not found in Florida, from what I can tell.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 19 2017 - 4:58 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I am aware of that. I was buying a queen.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 19 2017 - 5:02 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You cannot import queens (of aggressively invasive species) because it is illegal. I am aware of that.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 19 2017 - 5:02 AM.

• Herdo and Martialis like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted May 19 2017 - 5:15 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Do they grow at a similar rate? Are they picky eaters? How far can they spray formic acid? What kind of nest would suit them? Do they fly, mate in the nest, or both? Are they an easy or difficult species to keep?

It is illegal to import them and in their case it is for good reasons.

Yellow crazy ants can grow pretty quickly.

No, they are not pick eaters and they are not picky in terms of nesting space either. They can mate within the nest.

If they ever escape they will go on a killing spree murdering any native wildlife that cannot escape them (including crabs, frogs, lizards, rodents, bird and mammal babies) and multiply at a rate that will soon eradicate every native ant species in your area.

These ants are a highly invasive creeping natural disaster and should NOT be imported to ANY part of the world on purpose.

Edited by Serafine, May 19 2017 - 7:10 AM.

• Cameron C. Thomas likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted May 19 2017 - 5:22 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Please do not import these highly invasive ants over to the gulf states. We do not need to add to our highly invasive list (Paratechina longicornis, Solenopsis richteri, Solenopsis invicta, Brachymyrmex patagonius, Pheidole megacagalpha.)

• Martialis likes this

YJK

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 19 2017 - 5:24 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I am now aware of that. 

• SurfingTangents likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#8 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 19 2017 - 5:59 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I didn't know that. Interesting.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 19 2017 - 6:46 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You cannot import ants past state lines at all in the US, unless you have gone through the lengthy approval of APHIS. This should be common knowledge.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 19 2017 - 6:48 AM.

• GXF and Martialis like this

----

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paratrechina longicornis, anoplolepis gracilipes, comparison, ectetera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users