• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tapinoma Temps and General First Queen Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Eisengratz - Posted May 18 2017 - 6:51 AM

Eisengratz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMonterey

Hey folks,

Got lucky a few weeks ago and managed to snag a single solitary queen (in Carmel Valley, California), that I'm about 90% sure is Tapinoma Sessile  (of the species she could be, they're all fully claustral, so I'm not worried in that regard, at least); I'd take pics and ask for confirmation, but my only camera is from a $1 phone, so unless you guys like impressionistic art, it won't help much. 

Anyways, I've got her in her tube, nestled in a cleaned-out cigar box wrapped in towel and cracked slightly for air flow. Checked on her once since then, and she seems fairly content and has pumped out a few (extremely tiny) eggs. However, the temperature in my hovel shifts fairly drastically throughout the day, and I'm curious at what temperature does it start getting hazardous for the little thing - the days are warm enough, but it gets around 50ish at night. I'm assuming she's fine, but you know, you always love the first one the most, etc. I know that the colder it is, the slower I can expect the colony develop, but I'd rather not have her freeze to death, if possible.

I did my fair share of prep in regards to ant keeping, but I'm also curious if there's anything else blatantly obvious that might not get covered in the usual literature and youtube videos, so any other advice for the future is appreciated. 

Note: All statements by this user should be taken with a grain of salt, and may contain significant amounts of BS. Consider truthful at own risk.

#2 Offline BMM - Posted May 18 2017 - 8:37 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I keep my Tapinoma sessile at about 80 degrees and they seem to be doing well. The queen is really pumping out eggs at this point. There seems to be a consensus that they prefer higher temps, so I'd avoid letting them dip into the 50's each night.

#3 Offline Eisengratz - Posted May 18 2017 - 8:54 AM

Eisengratz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMonterey

Hrm, all right. I'll have to figure out some sort of heating pad arrangement then. 

Note: All statements by this user should be taken with a grain of salt, and may contain significant amounts of BS. Consider truthful at own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users