• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex tenuispinus Journal [202] (Updated 11-1-2022)

pogonomyrmex tenuispinus journal dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 11 2016 - 7:35 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

and low humidity to incubate their eggs and for pupal development and simultaneous lower temps and higher humidity for larval growth. This is just not possible in a small environment. 

Is this documented anywhere? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious since I haven't been able to find much documentation on humidity levels for specific genus/species.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#82 Offline Retroman - Posted September 12 2016 - 5:18 AM

Retroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Here is one such reference on the humidity requirement for different stages of brood: 

https://books.google...omyrmex&f=false

I have been keeping Pogonomyrmex species for many years and have seen this phenomenon consistently. Can some larvae survive at low humidity levels? Yes, but my personal observation is they have a greater chance for survival through to adult when raised in higher humidity areas

• gcsnelling and Foogoo like this

#83 Offline Retroman - Posted September 12 2016 - 5:34 PM

Retroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

After I saw your inquiry today, I started looking around for research papers that examined the importance of a humidity gradient in larval development.

This one is directly on-point: https://journals.lib...ile/27968/26431

Most of the paper is focused on the importance of temperature gradients, but this section sums up the moisture factor: 

Activity patterns in harvester ants are strongly affected by moisture, and many species of Pogonomyrmex will forage at odd times if the soil is wet (Whitford and Ettershank 1975, Gordon 1991). Brood individuals have a thin cuticle and are more sensitive than adults to conditions of low moisture. Moisture patterns in the nest soils provide an important humidity gradient that harvester ants can exploit to protect their brood from desiccation (MacKay 1981). The effect of humidity on larval development was dramatic in the fire ant Solenopsis invicta. Larvae in chambers with less than 100% humidity were not fed by workers, died of starvation, and were eventually cannibalized (Cassill and Tschinkel 2000). In the lab portion of the present study, nurse workers continually moved brood from dry to moist soil within the chambers, suggesting that brood relocation behavior in P. salinus is influenced directly by humidity. In conclusion, P. salinus nurse workers are not strictly tied to an endogenous rhythm, but instead exhibit a high degree of behavioral flexibility in moving brood to temperatures and possibly humidity levels that facilitate brood development. 

Edited by Retroman, September 12 2016 - 7:34 PM.

• gcsnelling and Foogoo like this

#84 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 13 2016 - 9:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-13-2016

I just noticed one of the queens has a little pile of eggs, so that's a good start. I'm still working on getting something larger ready for them.

#85 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 22 2016 - 4:23 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 10-22-2016

The desert finally saw some rain September 20th 2016. This was the first rain of the entire summer in most of the Mojave desert. There wasn't really any heavy rain, but it rained long enough to drop about .3 inches. Since it rained lightly for a long period of time, the rain was able to soak into the ground a bit deeper, triggering some mating flights.

I went to Palm Desert to hopefully catch a nuptial flight. It continued raining into the morning of the next day there, and was cloudy for most of that day, so I headed out there the day after that in hopes that the sun would be shining in the morning. They fly pretty late in the year, so I was pretty sure that was going to be the day.

Sure enough, just as the sun was coming up, the alates started coming out. By around 10:00 AM they were taking off.

gallery_2_253_101479.jpg

gallery_2_253_77684.jpg

gallery_2_253_8547.jpg

gallery_2_253_23735.jpg

gallery_2_253_53899.jpg

gallery_2_253_12339.jpg

gallery_2_253_7039.jpg

I never actually saw any of them mating, but a little further to the east of that location, I found tons of dealates running around later in the afternoon.

I saw a few of them digging founding chambers.

I brought some alates home with me to try breeding them the way Retroman does.

I got them to start mating, but I'm not sure if any were successful.

So far only one of the alates has eggs, and I can't tell if any of them are turning to larvae.

One of the captive-bred queens Retroman gave me has one nanitic now. The other had some brood, but it seems to be gone now.

Most of the queens I caught during that nuptial flight now have brood.
  • Crystals and T.C. like this

#86 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 22 2016 - 5:09 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Wow! Great video and reports. Glad the mojave got enough rain for this to happen.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#87 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 11 2016 - 1:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-11-2016

Not sure what happened to the nanitic that one of the captive bread queens produced, but now I'm down to only one of those that I got from Retroman , and that queen only has a couple larvae.

As for the queens that I tried to breed, I'm down to three of them now, two with eggs, and I still don't see any brood.

The queens I collected from the mating flight aren't doing all that great, but they're doing better than the others. A few of them have died, and it seems the only ones with any brood at all are the ones I have in the dirt boxes. One of them just got her first nanitic, and another should have one within a day or two.

#88 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 11 2016 - 6:28 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

When I stumbled on the "ant balls" I couldn't distinguish between what was queen and what what drone. It was quite terrifying to have ant balls falling on you. Unfortunately, the 6 that I captured were all drones. 

Would it be wise/ok to simply capture ...that mess (your video makes it clear that one ant is RED/RED and the other is RED/BLACK) of an ant pile and sort through it later? I wanted to make sure that the queen was fertilized so I kinda waited, AKA went in the library and got my stuff, then came back for collections. Wrong move there.

Quite a dance they do huh? Dude didn't even offer a cigarette or cab fair..

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#89 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2016 - 3:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 11-26-2016

I don't have anymore of the queens that Retroman bread, and there's still no signs that any of the queens I tried to breed are fertile. I do have two colonies from the mating flight that both have workers now. One colony has two, and another has one.

I cleaned out the glass vase setup that I had the colony of Acromyrmex versicolor in, and got it all setup for one of these little colonies. I put the colony with two workers in it, and they immediately started digging.

med_gallery_2_253_418128.jpg

med_gallery_2_253_346781.jpg

med_gallery_2_253_577179.jpg

#90 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 26 2016 - 4:19 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Sad to say but these are pretty much the results I expected from this experiment. Now you need to go find P. anzensis

#91 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2016 - 8:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sad to say but these are pretty much the results I expected from this experiment. Now you need to go find P. anzensis

Haha, that's actually on my to-do list.

#92 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 26 2016 - 9:26 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

That would be good, the trick will be to find it in a location that is collectable.

#93 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2016 - 9:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah...

#94 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 27 2016 - 1:05 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 11-27-2016

So I checked on this colony today and noticed the new nest was all closed up. It looked exactly like a closed off founding chamber.

med_gallery_2_253_92620.jpg

At first I thought the stupid queen sealed the nest off, thinking it was digging a founding chamber, but then I checked the old nest and it was empty. I now can see the queen and both workers in the new nest. It's amazing how fast they dug it and moved in. I think the workers will probably open the nest back up once they get hungry.

Hopefully these will do much better in this larger setup, like Retroman says they should.

#95 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 27 2016 - 4:22 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Go get em Drew.

#96 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2017 - 1:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 2-28-2017

Apparently after three months of doing nothing, and I think eating nothing as well, the queen I put in the vase setup is actually still alive! Both workers slowly died off, so the other day I decided to move my Pogonomyrmex californicus into the vase since I assumed the queen was dead too. Well amazingly it wasn't dead, and was pulled out of it's nest and being attacked by a few of the P. californicus workers. I quickly brushed them off of it, and moved it into one of my small "dirt boxes".

• Martialis likes this

#97 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 9 2017 - 1:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-9-2017

This queen died shortly after being moved. I don't know if it was from being attacked, or just a coincidence. Hopefully I'll find some more this season.

#98 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 9 2017 - 5:51 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Never a fun day when you start it with a "Drew Discontinued Journal"

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#99 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 3 2017 - 12:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 10-3-2017

I never found any of these this year, but like every year, Retroman bread a bunch of them in captivity and gave me quite a few fertile queens. Most of these queens were put into my dirt box setups, and so far only a hand-full are still alive. Right now I have ten of them, and only two with brood. Two still have wings and are both still being kept in test tubes.

I moved one queen that had a couple larvae into my giant ant farm after making the latest modifications to it.  It took a while, but it eventually started digging a new nest.

med_gallery_2_253_405342.jpg

med_gallery_2_253_619665.jpg

med_gallery_2_253_820711.jpg

#100 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 21 2017 - 7:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
med_gallery_2_253_208776.jpg
  • LC3, sgheaton, Karma and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex tenuispinus, journal, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users