• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is digging up an ant colony a good idea?

digging ant colonies ant colony

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ender Ants - Posted May 2 2017 - 3:38 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

So is digging up an ant colony a good idea? Like, I know you may hurt the queen, but is it a good idea otherwise? 

#2 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted May 2 2017 - 3:43 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

This depends on a lot of factors.

Type of ant.

Type of nest.

Ability to excavate nest with minimal loss of workers, brood, queen, etc.

Really going to be a case by case basis.

For example, I just found a C modoc colony in one of the boards that comprises one of my garden beds. I picked away a few pieces of wood to see what the colony looks like. They go in deep and there would be no way to get them easily without either killing most of them, or losing most of them in the process.

I also found a T. sessile colony under a rock I was moving. It was relatively close to the surface (queens and brood visible on surface) and didn't appear deep. I could have easily dug out the entire nest with a large shovel then placed it in a container to carefully pick apart.

Use common sense. If you can't get them all relatively quickly without causing a lot of damage, its not worth it. 

• Ender Ants likes this

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted May 2 2017 - 3:56 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It's not too great of an idea to excavate native, mature nests (past the founding stage).

Spoiler

#4 Offline Spamdy - Posted May 2 2017 - 4:06 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

It's not too great of an idea to excavate native, mature nests (past the founding stage).

because queen and workers might not be able to adapt to captivity and die. Then you have accomplished nothing, I would not recommend it.

• Martialis likes this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 2 2017 - 4:15 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I don't tend to LIKE to dig up ant colonies. The only time I do is if they are under intense threat by Argentine ants, or/and construction and irrigation is built near them.

For example, I re-located a bunch of Pogonomyrmex californicus colonies because they changed an entire area to be irrigated. Very soon after that, hundreds of thousands of Argentine ants moved in. A couple colonies of Pogonomyrmex were also close to being bulldozed at some point to build the actual apartments on top of their nests.

Which means I've actually dug up a lot of colonies, because everywhere I move to is stupid construction all the time. Like non-stop construction everywhere. And then they build irrigation, which draws in Argentine ants. Down in San Diego, they completely destroyed so many countless miles of valley areas to build a bunch of housing. I saved a few colonies, but the area was too big for one person to go down and move colonies. Eventually the whole area was taken over by Argentine ants, and a big portion destroyed by housing.

Edited by Vendayn, May 2 2017 - 4:16 PM.

#6 Offline Ender Ants - Posted May 2 2017 - 7:27 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

This depends on a lot of factors.

Type of ant.

Type of nest.

Ability to excavate nest with minimal loss of workers, brood, queen, etc.

Really going to be a case by case basis.

For example, I just found a C modoc colony in one of the boards that comprises one of my garden beds. I picked away a few pieces of wood to see what the colony looks like. They go in deep and there would be no way to get them easily without either killing most of them, or losing most of them in the process.

I also found a T. sessile colony under a rock I was moving. It was relatively close to the surface (queens and brood visible on surface) and didn't appear deep. I could have easily dug out the entire nest with a large shovel then placed it in a container to carefully pick apart.

Use common sense. If you can't get them all relatively quickly without causing a lot of damage, its not worth it. 

ah, ok. Thanks for the advice!

• fortysixandtwo likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: digging ant colonies, ant colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users