• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

April 13, 2017: Gainesville, FL

queen dealate anting brick gainesville florida red

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 10:11 AM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
IMG 2912
Album: 20170413 Dealate
4 images
0 comments

1. Location of collection: Gainesville, FL

2. Date of collection: April 13, 2017 1:30 PM, last rainstorm was about 1 week ago (though it is always humid and hot here!)
3. Habitat of collection: I found this dealate resting (not walking or moving) about two feet up from the ground on the vertical brick wall of my house. The area is surrounded by houses with small yards and some trees. 
4. Length: 9.5 mm (3/8")
5. Coloration: Bright red all over, mostly smooth texture.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: 0-1 petiole node (unsure if the thing I saw is a petiole because it looks different from the spiky petioles on my Solenopsis queens), no spines, no clubs on antennae

• thosaka likes this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 10:18 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Definitely a queen, can you check measurements?

Edit:

I'm leaning toward Formica.

Edited by Martialis, April 13 2017 - 10:24 AM.

Spoiler

#3 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 10:26 AM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I just double checked. Definitely 3/8", slightly larger than my 1/4" Solenopsis invicta queens. After a little research, I do not believe there are ants with 0 petioles, so this dealate probably has 1. There is definitely a nodule of sorts between the mesosoma and the gaster, it is just very rounded without the normal dorsal spike I am used to seeing on Solenopsis. Still have not found anything online that looks like her, but I will keep looking.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 10:54 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I just double checked. Definitely 3/8", slightly larger than my 1/4" Solenopsis invicta queens. After a little research, I do not believe there are ants with 0 petioles, so this dealate probably has 1. There is definitely a nodule of sorts between the mesosoma and the gaster, it is just very rounded without the normal dorsal spike I am used to seeing on Solenopsis. Still have not found anything online that looks like her, but I will keep looking.

All ants have at least one petiole. Florida has five native Formica, and many are red. I believe it is one of those.

• jdsaunders1390 likes this
Spoiler

#5 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted April 13 2017 - 10:55 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

if you are in gainesville Fl go over and see Paul Skelley at DPI he has a synoptic collection of ants of florida...if you are interested in getting in touch with him PM me I have his number

• jdsaunders1390 likes this

#6 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 11:17 AM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Still unsure of the species, however I have a few options for genera. Martialis mentioned Formica. I am also looking at Lasius and Polyergus as possibilities.

#7 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 11:24 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Lasius is smaller and Polygerus has a very obvious petiole. If you take a picture from the side, without an angle, I think we can ID her.

Spoiler

#8 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 13 2017 - 11:34 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

My top guess would be a queen in the Forelius species my second guess would be Dorymyrmex queen. As both of these ants are found in the warmer regions of North America and both ants have spices that are the color of yours. Though Forelius has a more blackish gaster. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything as I am new to Ant keeping. This is my first post. ;)

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#9 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 11:39 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

My top guess would be a queen in the Forelius species my second guess would be Dorymyrmex queen. As both of these ants are found in the warmer regions of North America and both ants have spices that are the color of yours. Though Forelius has a more blackish gaster. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything as I am new to Ant keeping. This is my first post. ;)

I believe both those Genera are much smaller than the provided length.

Spoiler

#10 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 12:19 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Okay, I am pretty sure I added two more pictures to the album. I apologize for the poor quality, and hopefully they are good enough! She will not move her back legs out of the way to photograph the petiole.

She is a very chill queen. She didn't like it too much when I first caught her or when I moved her from the original tube to an actual test tube setup, but other than those two times, she has barely moved. I have shined a bright light on her to get a better look, and still barely any activity. She was also not moving or walking when I first found her (until I touched her). I hope that does not mean she is doing poorly. It is approximately 81F outside right now if that helps anyone.

I believe she has 11 antennae segments without clubs, though it is very tough for me to count them. She also has three small black dots (each approximately 1/3rd-1/4th the size of one of her eyes) in the middle of her head, above her eyes, arranged in a triangle that points down towards her mandibles.

#11 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted April 13 2017 - 12:51 PM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

ill be out looking for sure this weekend

Edited by Jamie_Garrison, April 13 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#12 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 13 2017 - 12:52 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Formica in the pallidefulva group I think. Maybe F. biophilica or F. pallidefulva?

Edited by Jonathan21700, April 13 2017 - 12:55 PM.

• Martialis and jdsaunders1390 like this

#13 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 1:32 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Formica in the pallidefulva group I think. Maybe F. biophilica or F. pallidefulva?

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Spoiler

#14 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 1:33 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I think you are correct. Antweb.org says that F. biophilica is a more uniform bright red-yellow color, whereas F. pallidefulva is partially brown, which makes me think it is F. biophilica. However, F. pallidefulva is typically found more often in yards and lawns than F. biophilica. Any idea of what else I can use to distinguish the two?

#15 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 1:41 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Your queen is odd.. almost like an intercaste gyne of some sort.

Edit: The correct term is Gynandromorphs. 

Here's a definition: 

Gynandromorphs:

Gynandromorphs are male-female mosaics.

Edited by Martialis, April 13 2017 - 1:45 PM.

Spoiler

#16 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted April 13 2017 - 1:49 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Good News! It's a girl...

Bad News! It's also a boy and sadly in the part that counts.

I would preserve this in alcohol because these little genetic flooks are the four leaf clovers of the ant world.

• Martialis likes this

#17 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 2:14 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
How were you guys able to figure this out?

#18 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 3:19 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

The gaster is too small to be that of a queen's and resembles a male gaster. The ant resembles Campnotus castaeneus, but is too small. The head and mesosoma, however, are that of a queen. Preserve her and keep her as a specimen.

Spoiler

#19 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 3:36 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
Thank you for the explanation. I can see what you mean about the gaster. Question: If she actually is a queen, but has been mated for a while and is still struggling to find a home, could her gaster shrink to this size as she uses her reserve energy?
Regardless, I will likely keep him/her for a while to see if anything happens. I would hate to be wrong and kill her before she lays eggs!
I am interested in preserving not only her, but also collecting the different members of each species that I keep. I made another post in General trying to determine the best way to preserve specimens. (dry vs alcohol vs formaldehyde) If any of you have experience preserving ants, hop over to that post!
  • Martialis likes this

#20 Offline Martialis - Posted April 13 2017 - 6:01 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I don't believe that the gaster could do that. She would be dead by the time she found an est if that was the case.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, dealate, anting, brick, gainesville, florida, red

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users