• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex chewing at cotton

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:11 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I found a small Pogonomyrmex colony here in Wyoming while I was hunting for beetle grubs that I managed to scoop into two separate vials (one wasnt big enough). I didn't have any test tubes on me so they had to live in the vials for a day or two until I managed to get a hold of a tube. After spending a few hours coaxing them to leave the vials that they oh so loved I managed to get them all in the tube with an extremely large pile of brood and the queen hopefully not too stressed (although to be honest it was an extremely stressful day or so for her constantly being moved around, so I hope she's okay). My only concern is that all the workers are chewing and pulling on the cotton to the outside of the tube. How do I get them to stop doing this? I can't open it up to feed them because the workers will spill out and I don't want a bunch of Pogonomyrmex running around my room.

Edited by klawfran3, April 11 2017 - 9:12 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You can't make them stop. That's one thing I don't like about test tubes.

#3 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:40 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I was afraid of that... So what are my options? I have a tarheel formicarium back in cali that I could probably pick up next time I visit home for a little bit but in the meantime since I'm not allowed to bring ants over boarders what should I do? it'll be a month before I'm back in LA to get the dang thing and bring it back. Maybe I could make a miniature outworld to last the month or so out of some tupperware and ingenuity. I'll try and head to WalMart maybe and see how it turns out.

Edited by klawfran3, April 11 2017 - 9:41 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#4 Offline SirAnticus - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:55 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Is that GBB yours

#5 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 11 2017 - 10:19 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Is that GBB yours

It used to be until I had to move. Had to get rid of about 30 something spiders.

#6 Offline SirAnticus - Posted April 11 2017 - 10:24 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

that's alot of money, what were your favorites

#7 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 11 2017 - 11:09 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

C. fimbriatus, H. lividum, A. geniculata, and H. villosella.

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted April 12 2017 - 1:44 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationGermany

Can't you just put them inside a cheap food container to feed them? Drill a hole through the top, enter food from there and close it with cotton if not needed.41cUp5yOp%2BL._SX355_.jpg

Edited by Serafine, April 12 2017 - 1:51 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline AntsSA - Posted April 12 2017 - 2:13 AM

AntsSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

or you could take an empty ice cream tub gut a large square hole in the lid. then 'paint' the under side of the lid with exra virgin olive oil as a barrier

#10 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 12 2017 - 6:39 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Can't you just put them inside a cheap food container to feed them? Drill a hole through the top, enter food from there and close it with cotton if not needed.41cUp5yOp%2BL._SX355_.jpg

Pretty much exactly what I was planning. The thing is I'm moving to a new apartment here in a few weeks and i'd like to be able to have all the ants in the test tube during that so none are running around the outworld.

#11 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 12 2017 - 9:52 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Make an outworld.

YJK

#12 Offline SirAnticus - Posted April 12 2017 - 11:04 AM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Drew cuts the finger tip off of a glove and puts it around the cotton. I think it helped with his larger species.

#13 Offline XZero38 - Posted April 12 2017 - 12:55 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Take a look at my pogonomyrmex journal in my signature. You will see part way down what i did with my queens. Its a simple setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users