• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Crematogaster sp.2 Journal [80] (Discontinued)

Crematogaster Dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 9 2015 - 10:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 10-9-2015

This colony's growing fast; they now have over 300 workers. They're still free to forage where they want, and they're starting to get into more and more stuff as they get larger. They're always cleaning up the left-overs after I finish feeding the ants, and I'm always finding them all over the spare liquid feeders too. The Grotube seems to be working well for them. Looking at their larvae, you can see how much hummingbird nectar they've been getting.

med_gallery_2_88_150761.jpg

There's about another 100 workers that just hang out outside the nest, underneath the out world.
  • Gregory2455 and LC3 like this

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 2 2016 - 7:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 2-2-2016

When I moved, I had to put this colony in something and could no longer allow it to roam free. The container I put them in got very moldy during the few weeks I was moving, and most of the colony ended up dying. I finally cleaned it out, and they are doing much better now. They only have about 150 workers now, but they have a LOT of new brood, so they should be bouncing back pretty quick.

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2016 - 10:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 4-6-2016

Well the colony sure did bounce back. They are up to around 500 workers now, and still producing tons of brood. I haven't gotten enough mesh lids made yet, so their container doesn't have much ventilation. That's the reason why they're nesting all over the place.

med_gallery_2_88_420393.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_81374.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_151669.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_353830.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_516939.jpg
  • Gregory2455 likes this

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 6 2016 - 7:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 6-6-2016

This colony is doing great. I estimate over 1000 workers now. They probably have about 1000 brood as well. I just moved them into this new formicarium I made for them yesterday. I'm a little confused because these workers clearly have a red thorax. It's dark, but not almost black like I initially thought.

med_gallery_2_88_670406.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_393326.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_425378.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_39796.jpg

med_gallery_2_88_467195.jpg

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2016 - 5:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-9-2016

This colony is still growing like crazy. I estimate their size to be around 2500 workers now.

I noticed when removing their formicarium from the water source, almost the entire colony piled into the nest. They clearly like it much drier.

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 24 2016 - 9:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-24-2016

Queen is nowhere to be found. It obviously died a while back. This was a pretty cool colony. I did find a couple more of these queens a week ago, so maybe one of those will be as successful as this one was.

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 22 2016 - 6:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-22-2016

I decided to sell all of these colonies and discontinue this journal.

#28 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 5 2017 - 2:38 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Update 10-9-2015

This colony's growing fast; they now have over 300 workers. They're still free to forage where they want, and they're starting to get into more and more stuff as they get larger. They're always cleaning up the left-overs after I finish feeding the ants, and I'm always finding them all over the spare liquid feeders too. The Grotube seems to be working well for them. Looking at their larvae, you can see how much hummingbird nectar they've been getting.

There's about another 100 workers that just hang out outside the nest, underneath the out world.

Did you make this formicarium yourself or someone else did it from the printed version?

Update 10-9-2015

Did you make this formicarium yourself or someone else did it from the printed version?

Nice ants by the way

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#29 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 5 2017 - 4:35 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Update 10-9-2015

Byformica used to make these nests but he stopped making them. While they have been hinting at new products coming out, as far as I'm aware no new formicaria have been released.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#30 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 5 2017 - 4:38 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Update 10-9-2015

Byformica used to make these nests but he stopped making them. While they have been hinting at new products coming out, as far as I'm aware no new formicaria have been released.

Oh ok

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#31 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 5 2017 - 4:43 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Update 10-9-2015

Oh ok

If you have a 3D printer you could make one yourself. The 3D model for this formicarium is here: http://www.thingiver...om/thing:409298

you still would need to cut out the middle, get acrylic or glass, cut holes in said acrylic and put some (what I'm assuming is grout) inside the nest but it's completely possible to do on your own. I'm not sure what you'd do for the outworld though. You could probably use some vinyl tubing and connect the formicarium to a plastic container.

To be honest though, I've been printing off a lot of different formicaria and of the many I printed out, I did not like this one very much. You waste a lot of filament because of the small amount of spaced used and it requires a lot more work than some other ones. My favorite one so far was this Antscanada replica one that you only need a small piece of acrylic or glass for and some metal mesh. I can't find where I got it from but I could send the file to you if you wanted.

Edited by dspdrew, June 20 2020 - 4:01 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#32 Offline Leo - Posted January 5 2017 - 4:52 AM

Leo