• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants for sale?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lilsxph - Posted February 22 2017 - 10:02 AM

Lilsxph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Anybody have any easy to care for queen ants for sale that they are willing to ship overnight? I can pay for shipping as well as a decent price for the queen. Sorry I should have specified that I of course meant in California, where I am. 

Edited by Lilsxph, February 22 2017 - 4:53 PM.

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted February 22 2017 - 12:02 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Firstly, you are prohibited from transporting queen ants over state lines in the US or provinces in Canada, so you must clarify what state or province you are in. Secondly, you may not have a thread wherein you attempt to buy a queen ant. You may find a member on this forum in your state/province and DM them with questions about buying a queen. Thank you for obeying the rules of the forum.

• Martialis and Jamie_Garrison like this

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 22 2017 - 12:36 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Firstly, you are prohibited from transporting queen ants over state lines in the US or provinces in Canada, so you must clarify what state or province you are in. Secondly, you may not have a thread wherein you attempt to buy a queen ant. You may find a member on this forum in your state/province and DM them with questions about buying a queen. Thank you for obeying the rules of the forum.

Ummmmmmmm No... You can definitely have posts asking to buy queens WITHIN your states, instead of criticizing someone about 'breaking' the rules, maybe YOU should read all the topics on here asking for queen ants IN your state. But yes, you must clarify where you live.

• Lilsxph likes this

YJK

#4 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted February 22 2017 - 12:46 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Ummmmmmmm No... You can definitely have posts asking to buy queens WITHIN your states, instead of criticizing someone about 'breaking' the rules, maybe YOU should read all the topics on here asking for queen ants IN your state. But yes, you must clarify where you live.

8. Buying, selling, or trading queen ants is not illegal in most places, including the US, however, what is illegal a lot of times, is shipping or transporting them. Here in the US it is illegal to ship or transport queen ants across state borders. The scientific community also strongly discourages this because of the harm that can be done to the local ecosystem. Because of this, making arrangements to buy, sell, or trade nonnative queen ants is not allowed anywhere on Formiculture.com.

• Martialis likes this

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 22 2017 - 12:54 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

8. Buying, selling, or trading queen ants is not illegal in most places, including the US, however, what is illegal a lot of times, is shipping or transporting them. Here in the US it is illegal to ship or transport queen ants across state borders. The scientific community also strongly discourages this because of the harm that can be done to the local ecosystem. Because of this, making arrangements to buy, sell, or trade nonnative queen ants is not allowed anywhere on Formiculture.com.

Lmao! That is for OUTSIDE of state shipping. Look it up. Brows through the history of General Marketplace now.

YJK

#6 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted February 22 2017 - 12:57 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

ill just say its illegal to ship a queen via mail in the US.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 22 2017 - 1:00 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Really? Huh, I know that in some states shipping across county lines is illegal.

YJK

#8 Offline Goldsystem - Posted February 22 2017 - 2:06 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Its legal to ship fertile queens in Oregon as long as they are native

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted February 22 2017 - 2:20 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Who told you that?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#10 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 22 2017 - 2:24 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I've always heard that it was legal to buy/sell queens so long as it was within state lines.  I suppose it's possible that different state may have different laws.   Where is that law anyway?  Everyone always talks about it, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a reference.

Also, Formiculture's "Rules for posting in the Classifieds Section" doesn't mention any additional restrictions on shipping queens other than to obey the law.  I know that Drew personally does not ship queens, but I don't see any indication that he was making a rule for everyone else too.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.

~Dan

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 22 2017 - 3:36 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

No it is perfectly legal in Canada. Many Canadians here do it all the time. Also, as long as it's legal, I won't oppose it. In the US you can still ship within state lines
  • LC3 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#12 Offline Martialis - Posted February 22 2017 - 4:27 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Lmao! That is for OUTSIDE of state shipping. Look it up. Brows through the history of General Marketplace now.

Alabama, he was talking about TELLING where you are so you don't ship outside state lines. He understands shipping within lines is legal. 

Spoiler

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 22 2017 - 4:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Guys, after reading this I noticed something in the rules that should be changed.

I updated Rule #8.

Here is the new text:

8. Buying, selling, or trading queen ants is not illegal in most places, including the US, however, what is illegal a lot of times, is shipping or transporting them. Here in the US it is illegal to ship or transport queen ants across state borders. The scientific community also strongly discourages this because of the harm that can be done to the local ecosystem. Because of this, making any arrangements to illegally ship or transport ants is strictly forbidden on Formiculture.com.

• Martialis and Alabama Anter like this

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 22 2017 - 4:50 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Ok thanks Drew!

YJK

#15 Offline Lilsxph - Posted February 22 2017 - 4:57 PM

Lilsxph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Sorry guys I didn't mean to stir up a big fuss, of course I wouldn't want to do anything illegal, but I'm really thankful that you guys can clarify the laws for me since I am new to ant keeping. :) 

#16 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 23 2017 - 5:58 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Sorry guys I didn't mean to stir up a big fuss, of course I wouldn't want to do anything illegal, but I'm really thankful that you guys can clarify the laws for me since I am new to ant keeping. :)

If you're still interested in buying ants, please check out the "Rules for Posting in the Classified Section" http://www.formicult...ifieds-section/.  It reads  ...

If you are looking to buy your post should contain:

• What you are looking for

• Your location

• Whether you are willing to pay for shipping

Honestly, I would NOT recommend buying a queen.  Queens are just too easy to find and their health can be unpredictable.  If you don't know what to look for, there are a whole lot of articles floating around that would help you located queens.  My personal suggestion is to check for queens drowning in swimming pools, especially on hot days following a good rain just the day before.  Good luck!

• T.C. likes this
~Dan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users