• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is cement toxic to ants?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Goldsystem - Posted February 22 2017 - 2:02 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I was thinking about using cement to make the interior of my outworld, but I don't know if it's ant safe or not.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 22 2017 - 2:19 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
No, however I don't recommend it. Humidity doesn't work well in at all, it looks terrible, and the one time I tried the ants refused to move in.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline dermy - Posted February 22 2017 - 2:32 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

No, however I don't recommend it. Humidity doesn't work well in at all, it looks terrible, and the one time I tried the ants refused to move in.

Well seeing as Goldsystem was going to use it for the outworld humidity wouldn't be much of an issue, however since I haven't seen many people using cement something tells me it's probably not a good idea, or at least not as practical as something like grout.

• T.C. likes this

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted February 22 2017 - 3:01 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

It's one thing to use something for an outworld and another one to use it for a nest. You wouldn't let your ants nest in dry sand either.

Edited by Serafine, February 22 2017 - 9:31 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted February 22 2017 - 3:21 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Yes, cement is toxic in the first years of being cured under regular erosion. Cement takes many years of erosion to become ant safe. Fresh cement will kill ants.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 22 2017 - 4:19 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I see no problem using cement, and have even used it before. It's not toxic once it's cured. I am even going to make an entire formicarium from cement. This has already been posted about before, and I'll say the same thing I did then: If cement is toxic to ants, then California would not have an Argentine ant problem.

• dermy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users