• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Ant Colony Sale - California

598 replies to this topic

#221 Offline jasond1979 - Posted November 3 2016 - 9:45 AM

jasond1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara Calif

And the fact it looks like your going to be offering Honey Pot Ants in the future, like totally the coolest ants on the planet.   I'm not sure if you could really know what the true price is.   Just know Honey Pots are in a league by themselves.  Just saw a video where the colonies don't actually fight but kind of puff up in display in front of each other.  Wow!  Very cool and unusual.

Jason

#222 Offline FSTP - Posted November 3 2016 - 2:11 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

The true price is what anyone is willing to pay. And personally I'd be willing to pay a lot for an established honey pot ant. 

#223 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 3 2016 - 3:53 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Not at the moment, unless it houses a colony of ants I'm selling.

I know you mentioned before that you use some sort of clay and soil mix to stop the tunnels from collapsing. What does this mix contain? I think I am going to try and replicate your design if I can't buy one. I am a little scared of losing my colony though due to the soil collapsing.

Edited by Mdrogun, November 3 2016 - 3:54 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#224 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 3 2016 - 5:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I actually use the soil where the ants come from. If I don't have that soil, I just use 50% clay dirt, and 50% sand.

#225 Offline FSTP - Posted November 3 2016 - 5:08 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

do you sterilize or clean the soil in any way?

#226 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 3 2016 - 5:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I bake it to kill any parasites and to destroy any organic matter.

#227 Offline FSTP - Posted November 3 2016 - 5:21 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

good to know thank you!

#228 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 3 2016 - 6:04 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

What should I house the myrmecocyustus yuma colony in, after they get too big for the dirt formicarium you have set up for them initially?

• JAnt and Flu1d like this

:>

#229 Offline Enderz - Posted November 3 2016 - 7:44 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I'm thinking of buying the Crematogaster sp. 5, drew you still have it?

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#230 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 4 2016 - 5:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What should I house the myrmecocyustus yuma colony in, after they get too big for the dirt formicarium you have set up for them initially?

You should house them in a naturalistic formicarium that will allow alates to hang.

There is one left, but someone might already be buying it.

#231 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 4 2016 - 3:17 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

You should house them in a naturalistic formicarium that will allow alates to hang.

Does a phalanx THA type 2 nest do the job, or perhaps a THA mini hearth type 2?

Edited by Solenoqueen, November 4 2016 - 3:18 PM.

#232 Offline FSTP - Posted November 4 2016 - 3:41 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Soleno CHeack this youtube channel out if you haven't already.  This guy is keeping Myrmecocystus  in various THA formicarium including the mini hearth for a young colony. Some really neat footage. Perhaps it can help you decide what you want to keep your colony in.

• Solenoqueen likes this

#233 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 4 2016 - 5:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Does a phalanx THA type 2 nest do the job, or perhaps a THA mini hearth type 2?

Most of his will work fine for Myrmecocystus.

• Solenoqueen likes this

#234 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 4 2016 - 7:59 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Soleno CHeack this youtube channel out if you haven't already.  This guy is keeping Myrmecocystus  in various THA formicarium including the mini hearth for a young colony. Some really neat footage. Perhaps it can help you decide what you want to keep your colony in.

I was going to try to move the myrmecocystus spp. out of the dirt formicarium and into a mini hearth also, coincidentially. That new ant is huge! I have a feeling that it might be a reproductive alate, but it doesn't have wings, so maybe a major worker definitely. Also, I don't think majors turn into repletes, only minors do. Nice video and nice advice, man!

• FSTP likes this

#235 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 5 2016 - 6:55 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Because I'm getting such a high volume of requests for ants, I can't hold anything unless there is an appointment set, otherwise everything is first come, first serve.

Drew awesome Ants. The reason why your getting bombarded with requests is that your
Prices are 30 to 50% too low. If you raised them a bit it would balance out. I think another service you could off is anting field trips you acting as a guide and people could learn/collect their own. Maybe charge 30 to 50 a head. Just the education would be worth that
Jason

Because I'm getting such a high volume of requests for ants, I can't hold anything unless there is an appointment set, otherwise everything is first come, first serve.

Drew awesome Ants. The reason why your getting bombarded with requests is that your
Prices are 30 to 50% too low. If you raised them a bit it would balance out. I think another service you could off is anting field trips you acting as a guide and people could learn/collect their own. Maybe charge 30 to 50 a head. Just the education would be worth that
Jason
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY DREW
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#236 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2016 - 12:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Jason

Jason

:lol: :bigboss:

#237 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 5 2016 - 1:29 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Jason

Jason

:lol: :bigboss:

Lol

YJK

#238 Offline Enderz - Posted November 5 2016 - 1:30 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
What the hell

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#239 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 5 2016 - 2:53 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Just why guys.

#240 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 1 2016 - 12:35 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Can i have the Pogonomyrmex rugosus colony? read the pm i sent you for more details and respond if the timing is ok or with another time if its not.

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users