• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Major Success!!!!!!!!

tetramorium atom c pleometrphic new behavior

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 7 2017 - 4:56 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I just got my less than one year old Teramorium sp. e colony over the 200 worker mark!!! I just did a head count and they have 135+ larvae, 50-60 eggs and 2-3 pupae (most eclosed recently). They are currently living in a Atom C formicarium (which is now fairly dirty and hard to take photos of) and is currently being stored in a wine cooler, where they will remain for the next 4 months. The started as a pleometrophic colony with 12 queens living in a Mini Hearth. Over time (as expected) the number of queens slowly dwindled until two remained. One night while observing them, I watched as one of the queens walked over to the other while she was grooming herself and immediately went for her throat!!! both of the queens curled around one another, trying to sting and bite one another. Eventually however, after 30 seconds of fighting, the aggressor stopped and calmly walked away. Upon leaving her startled victim (who was still in perfect condition), she was immediately engulfed in a ball of workers (which appeared to be watching the fight from a safe distance). I believe these "spectators" were in place to "record" the amount of time the aggressor was able to stand her ground against her rival and perhaps if she can do so for a certain amount of time without getting injured, she will be seen by the workers as the more dominant queen, causing the workers to rush to her aid in dismantling the less dominant / healthy "beta queen". Pheromones may even be used to "tag" the less dominant queen. This might be a completely new, undescribed behavior that takes place in Tetramorium colonies during the selection period. This had happened several times throughout this colonies brief history and I was positive that the dominant queen would leave unscaved, but in the confusion, both were attacked by droves of workers. In order to assure the survival of the dominant queen, I opened the formicarium and removed her / picked the individual workers off of her. during the onslaught, the "beta" queen died from her wounds and was quickly dismantled and fed to the workers. As for the surviving queen, she lost 2 of her legs. I wasn't sure if she would make it, but despite all odds, her colony blossomed forth. I will definitely use pleometrophic founding for this species again (but will remove all but one of the queens once the number reaches approximately 2-4.), which I have seen can work wonders. I am so excited to see what unfolds in 2017!!!! 

• T.C. likes this

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 7 2017 - 4:59 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

This is quite interesting! You should submit this information to Myrmecologists!

• ctantkeeper likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 7 2017 - 5:44 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

-_- Hawaiiant this has already been recorded several times with different species. but ctantkeeper congrats! at about this stage the colony will have population explosions if you give extra food. especially protein

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 7 2017 - 5:46 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

xD

YJK

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 7 2017 - 7:09 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

This is quite interesting! You should submit this information to Myrmecologists!

Thank you very much :) , I am actually planning on going into the sciences myself. I plan on going into biochemistry, evolutionary biology, Entomology and sociology when I finish college. I cannot share too many details, but I have been working on a behavioral study of the ant Monomorium emarginatum for the last 6 months and have already written over 23 pages. I hope to someday create a condensed version of this and have it published. M. emarginatum was only discovered 31 years ago and because of this, no scientific papers have been written about it's biology and behavior (In fact, the only times I have ever seen this species mentioned was In the "Ants of New England" field guide and a brief few paragraphs noting it's discovery, locale and general appearance.). Most of the information covered in my research is completely new to the field, making me a "pioneer" of sorts in the research and study of this particular species. Btw, love the glasses lol

xD

What are you laughing at???

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 7 2017 - 7:22 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 7 2017 - 7:15 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

-_- Hawaiiant this has already been recorded several times with different species. but ctantkeeper congrats! at about this stage the colony will have population explosions if you give extra food. especially protein

First off, which species has this be recorded happening with? I know the "pleometrophic selection process" has be clearly detailed in several papers, but I don't think I have heard of queens "summoning" workers to attack submissive queens or workers "spectating / watching" these confrontations ensue. Second, Thank you very much :) . And finally third, I have been practicing this hobby for quite a while now (about 5 years) and know where to go from here. not trying to be rude, just don't want you thinking I am a beginner who has only done this once before (I have raised over 30 different species).

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 7 2017 - 7:27 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Thank you very much :) , I am actually planning on going into the sciences myself. I plan on going into biochemistry, evolutionary biology, Entomology and sociology when I finish college. I cannot share too many details, but I have been working on a behavioral study of the ant Monomorium emarginatum for the last 6 months and have already written over 23 pages. I hope to someday create a condensed version of this and have it published. M. emarginatum was only discovered 31 years ago and because of this, no scientific papers have been written about it's biology and behavior (In fact, the only times I have ever seen this species mentioned was In the "Ants of New England" field guide and a brief few paragraphs noting it's discovery, locale and general appearance.). Most of the information covered in my research is completely new to the field, making me a "pioneer" of sorts in the research and study of this particular species. Btw, love the glasses lol

xD

Wow that's quite amazing! Also I was laughing at CA so np

Edited by Alabama Anter, January 7 2017 - 7:28 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

YJK

#8 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 7 2017 - 7:35 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

xD

Wow that's quite amazing! Also I was laughing at CA so np

It's cool, I was just wondering. Anyways, thank so you much!!! I'm hoping that this eventually turns into something worthwhile. I think it has a lot to teach people about not only M. emarginatum (which in my opinion, is an amazing ant in both it's behavior and array of interesting adaptations.), but will hopefully prompt more research of more obscure, yet ecologically important ant species here up north, which we have many of, especially in Connecticut.  

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:46 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
I feel like you could submit your work of writing and the ants to a bigger audience and people would gain more knowledge on Monomorium. Wish u luck future to be myrmecologist ;)

YJK

#10 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 7 2017 - 9:02 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I feel like you could submit your work of writing and the ants to a bigger audience and people would gain more knowledge on Monomorium. Wish u luck future to be myrmecologist ;)

Of course, that is what I plan to do, but it is not ready yet. I need to finish my paper in it's entirety and publish it before I reveal it to the public. I don't wan't my work to be stolen by my peers. Again, thank you so much ;) 

#11 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 7 2017 - 9:15 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

All around me are familiar faces

I guess I misread what it said in the post :P

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#12 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 7 2017 - 9:20 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

All around me are familiar faces

I guess I misread what it said in the post :P

lol, but still, I would like to see a single paper that highlights these kinds of interactions in Tetramorium sp.e. If not, then I will not disregard my findings.

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 7 2017 - 9:21 PM.

#13 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 7 2017 - 10:53 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Wow congrats, very interesting.

• ctantkeeper likes this

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#14 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 8 2017 - 5:41 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Wow congrats, very interesting.

Thank you :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, atom c, pleometrphic, new behavior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users