• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help picking a first formicarium for Tetramorium

formicarium tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted June 24 2023 - 1:35 PM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I have a Tetramorium queen with eggs in a test tube. I caught her on June 15th. Knowing that these ants are rapid growers I am trying to figure out what my next steps will need to be. Having no experience, or the ability to see or handle formicariums in person (just images and descriptions online) it's been pretty difficult figuring out what I want/need. I'm pretty certain I am interested in something from Tarheel Ants but couldn't really narrow down what the best option for my queen/colony would be after the test tube stage. Many of the listings specifically state that they are not suited for small or tiny species, but in the drop-down options you can select small or tiny ants....The Talus is one that I was looking at that had info like that. Do I need the Bifurcated Mini Hearth? The Inception Chamber? How long before they outgrow these options? Are Tetramorium considered small or tiny ants? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

#2 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted June 24 2023 - 1:38 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
The mini hearth is the way to go. I'd probably get one of the ready to ship ones since the custom ones take a month or longer so he can make them. It will probably look like too big for the colony, but with a mini hearth they will do great in it once they get nanitics. Once they grow out of the hearth (maybe 100-200 workers) I'd either move them into a mini hearth xl, or simply connect one to the original nest.
  • AdamAnt1 likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#3 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted June 24 2023 - 1:41 PM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

The mini hearth is the way to go. I'd probably get one of the ready to ship ones since the custom ones take a month or longer so he can make them. It will probably look like too big for the colony, but with a mini hearth they will do great in it once they get nanitics. Once they grow out of the hearth (maybe 100-200 workers) I'd either move them into a mini hearth xl, or simply connect one to the original nest.

Thank you for your advice!

#4 Offline antsriondel - Posted June 24 2023 - 1:49 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Thank you for your advice!

Yeah any Tarheelants formicarium would be great.

• AdamAnt1 likes this

#5 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted June 24 2023 - 3:22 PM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

How does everybody run a heat cable with their tarheel formicariums? I was thinking of putting feet on the bottom for that purpose

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 24 2023 - 5:26 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have a Tetramorium queen with eggs in a test tube. I caught her on June 15th. Knowing that these ants are rapid growers I am trying to figure out what my next steps will need to be. Having no experience, or the ability to see or handle formicariums in person (just images and descriptions online) it's been pretty difficult figuring out what I want/need. I'm pretty certain I am interested in something from Tarheel Ants but couldn't really narrow down what the best option for my queen/colony would be after the test tube stage. Many of the listings specifically state that they are not suited for small or tiny species, but in the drop-down options you can select small or tiny ants....The Talus is one that I was looking at that had info like that. Do I need the Bifurcated Mini Hearth? The Inception Chamber? How long before they outgrow these options? Are Tetramorium considered small or tiny ants? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Personally I would probably steer you away from tarheelants just due to the fact that this species(assuming you have immigrans or something similar) can live in literally anything and will also grow super super super fast and tarheelants is on the more expensive side. You will find your ants outgrowing nests like crazy assuming you feed them a lot, and you therefore spending more and more of your paycheck on them, so perhaps a more affordable and larger nest maker might be a better option?

• UtahAnts and AdamAnt1 like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted June 24 2023 - 6:49 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

How does everybody run a heat cable with their tarheel formicariums? I was thinking of putting feet on the bottom for that purpose

You could, most people just tape a cable to the viewing glass.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 25 2023 - 2:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
THA mini-hearths work great for a colony’s first year. I’ve had the most success with raising this species in tub and tube setups with a thin layer of dry sand as a substrate. You can easily add more test tubes as they grow.
  • antsriondel, AntsCali098 and AdamAnt1 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted June 25 2023 - 8:17 PM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

All very helpful! Thanks for the advice

#10 Offline Puddingtempest - Posted June 26 2023 - 12:23 PM

Puddingtempest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

My personal experience with them is that they are escape artists, make sure you keep this in mind whichever farm you go for

• AdamAnt1 likes this

#11 Offline gs5248 - Posted June 26 2023 - 1:34 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Definitely don't get the Talus. It's just too small, and more meant for larger slower growing species as test tube replacements for queens or started formicarium's for small colonies. The inception chamber probably won't be so great, like everybody said they will outgrow it. If you want to go with Tarheel ants, I would a large formicarium straight off the bat, perhaps a fortress or something similar. Be sure to select the option for small ants though, I housed my tetramoriums in a large ant sized fallen fortress, and workers found a way into the water tower and drowned, ruining the nest. 

I think making your own formicarium would be a good option as well if you feel like the price is too steep, since Tetramorium will do very well in most formicarium's.

Edited by gs5248, June 26 2023 - 1:35 PM.

• AdamAnt1 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users