• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Experiment

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 Offline FSTP - Posted January 8 2017 - 9:10 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

and I don't need the forum. You people are hypocritical and this is forum is a joke. Thank you and Have a great.

I don't see how anyone here is hypocritical perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of the word. No one here is telling you you can't fuse different species and then going and fusing different species....

• LC3 likes this

#22 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 8 2017 - 9:14 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

and I don't need the forum. You people are hypocritical and this is forum is a joke. Thank you and Have a great.

Oh jeez... :(

YJK

#23 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 8 2017 - 9:16 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Seriously

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#24 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 8 2017 - 9:17 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I looked that guy up, and I couldn't find anything about fusing species. Either that or I don't search well enough.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#25 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 8 2017 - 9:37 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

I looked that guy up, and I couldn't find anything about fusing species. Either that or I don't search well enough.

Omg Hawaii! All you have to do is type letters in! Gosh... xD

YJK

#26 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 8 2017 - 9:38 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Omg Hawaii! All you have to do is type letters in! Gosh... xD

When I say search I meant I searched his profile page, not searching as in internet searching. The context I was using was like "I searched for the gorilla but couldn't find it".

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#27 Offline Serafine - Posted January 8 2017 - 11:57 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Kthxbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Edited by Serafine, January 8 2017 - 11:58 AM.

• Martialis and antgenius123 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#28 Offline LC3 - Posted January 8 2017 - 12:39 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

No one here is being hypocritical. I can't even remotely think of any hypocrisy in this thread. You think everyone here is claiming you can't fuse species and secretly fusing them in their basements? Anyways no one is believing you not because we carry some secret vendetta for people with the name Ricardo or whatever other reason. No one believes you because for one it's a general consensus among the scientific community (Yes those people who got a degree in entomology and are actual qualified Myrmecologists) that according to the biology and natural history of ants fusing random species, genres maybe subfamilies and getting them to function as one unified colony is near impossible. Second you have yet to provide any valid sources, research or proof that this is possible other then a random guy on Facebook. (Which you also provided very little information of)

If you really believe we and the myrmecologists of the world are wrong and you want to prove it, instead of running away and calling everyone a "hypocrite" why don't you provide us with some actual peer-reviewed studies on the topic? Or even better yet why don't you just show us pictures of your accomplishments? As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

What's the use of a forum if no one is willing to share new findings and experience, correct? If you truly do believe you know the secret to fusing species please enlighten us with said knowledge. 

• noebl1, Shareallicu, FSTP and 2 others like this

#29 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 8 2017 - 12:43 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I would have said "bless you for attempting an experiment with something that even approaches a real sample size", but then the details surrounding acquisition of ants you presume not to be native are disappointing. We do not condone black market trade of ants.

• dermy likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#30 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 8 2017 - 3:43 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Ricardo the species you're trying to fuse aren't even in the same subfamily. Some of us have tried before and failed. Also, you're putting 100 USd at risk. Like terry said, ant conversation between 2 different colonies 

"you smell different, I kill you" 

This is worse, this is "you smell, look, sound, feel different. I kill you"

However in case you ARE going to try, Are you using callows or mature workers?

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#31 Offline Kevin - Posted January 8 2017 - 3:51 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Ricardo the species you're trying to fuse aren't even in the same subfamily. Some of us have tried before and failed. Also, you're putting 100 USd at risk. Like terry said, ant conversation between 2 different colonies 

"you smell different, I kill you" 

This is worse, this is "you smell, look, sound, feel different. I kill you"

However in case you ARE going to try, Are you using callows or mature workers?

I'm not sure it matters if they are callows or not, the queen or and mature workers in the colony would kill the callows.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#32 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 8 2017 - 5:51 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

I feel like $100.00 USD and many lives will be wasted because the ignorance of one man.

YJK

#33 Offline Serafine - Posted January 9 2017 - 2:41 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well there was someone recently who has semi-successfully founded Lasius niger with multiple queens. The problem is when the last two queens started fighting the wokrers would have killed both if he hadn't saved one which had left the colony to die off with zero queens. So this can be sort-of-successfull you just have to remember to put all but one queen out once there are only 3-4 of them left.

And yes, there are some ants that can live together quite fine in the same outworld are as long as they have separate formicaria but you need very specific species for this and even then it's always a matter of luck. They may still start to attack or raid each other at some point.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#34 Offline Loops117 - Posted January 9 2017 - 7:45 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

You guys are so mean. Should have just left him alone the moment we realized he wasn't taking our advice. I really want him to stick around the forum so we can see his amazing success. I mean, the guy you're talking to and getting "Hand to Hand" instructions from is almost guaranteeing your success, so why even call it an experiment?

And lastly, thank you for calling out all these hobbyist and amateur entomologist. Their years of experience and research mean absolutely nothing since your buddy is completing the nearly impossible. Has your buddy published a book or perhaps even a blog on his findings? Considering that kind of work would be worth gold in the hands of anyone that would go through the trouble, i would imagine your buddy would have documented it at least once. That is to say it actually happened and he's not making a quick $100 sale on someone who believes you can fuse 100s of queens from 3 entirely different species together.

Edited by Loops117, January 9 2017 - 7:48 AM.

• XZero38, Martialis and Nincadaguy like this

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 9 2017 - 8:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It wasn't different species he was going to "fuse" together. He was talking about two entirely different subfamilies of ants.

• gcsnelling likes this

#36 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 9 2017 - 9:53 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I've discovered a near perfect method of fusing any two or more animals or other organisms together. Using this method, it is even possible to make a half man, half blueberry bush, 100% delicious hybrid--all without a trip to the Willy Wonka Factory.

You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 or more different organisms to be fused together
- Super glue

Just follow the instructions on your package of adhesive, and your fusion is complete.

Please post photos of your fusions in this thread.

I take no responsibility for whatever deranged fusions you guys create.
  • dspdrew, gcsnelling, XZero38 and 5 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#37 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted January 9 2017 - 10:19 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I've discovered a near perfect method of fusing any two or more animals or other organisms together. Using this method, it is even possible to make a half man, half blueberry bush, 100% delicious hybrid--all without a trip to the Willy Wonka Factory.

You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 or more different organisms to be fused together
- Super glue

Just follow the instructions on your package of adhesive, and your fusion is complete.

Please post photos of your fusions in this thread.

I take no responsibility for whatever deranged fusions you guys create.

Maybe try a process like this: http://www.wikihow.com/Graft-Plants

:rofl:

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#38 Offline kellakk - Posted January 9 2017 - 10:50 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

You all poke fun at this idea, but I've actually seen the photos from "Robert Fuentalba Ojeda" and he seems to have success mixing different species. His most recent experiment seems to be putting a Lasiophanes sp. with a Camponotus sp. I still doubt that he's able to keep colonies fused for extended periods of time, though.

Edited by kellakk, January 9 2017 - 10:50 AM.

• Nincadaguy likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#39 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 9 2017 - 11:47 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

You all poke fun at this idea, but I've actually seen the photos from "Robert Fuentalba Ojeda" and he seems to have success mixing different species. His most recent experiment seems to be putting a Lasiophanes sp. with a Camponotus sp. I still doubt that he's able to keep colonies fused for extended periods of time, though.

Yeah, I've seen some of his work with "fused" colonies before as well. I wonder how he managed to accomplish that.

#40 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 9 2017 - 12:03 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Wow :X 

Edited by antgenius123, January 16 2017 - 11:17 AM.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users