• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Solenopsis amblychila Journal [184] (Discontinued)

solenopsis amblychila trabuco canyon california dspdrew journal alates dealates queen ant fire ants

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 7 2014 - 1:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
8-7-2014

On Thursday 7-24-2014 I collected about 20 Solenopsis amblychila alates and two dealates on my black light up in Trabuco Canyon, California. It was a very warm, calm and humid night and had just gotten dark when they flew.

ID Thread: https://www.formicul....php/topic/427-

1. Location of collection: Trabuco Canyon, California.
2. Date of collection: 7-24-2014.
3. Habitat of collection: Chaparral/Oak Forest.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 7mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: All redish-orange.

Within one week, all but one of the dealates were dead. James C. Trager suggested that these could possibly be parasitic and the reason for them dying. Knowing this, I quickly gave the remaining queen, which looked like it was starting to die already, some brood from my Solenopsis xyloni colony. Along with the brood was one callow worker. I gave them all some food and waited to see what happens. Right away she accepted everything. Another week has passed now, and she is alive and well. The only problem is she still has not laid any eggs. As a matter of fact, I have never seen an S. amblychila alate or dealate lay any eggs.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 8 2014 - 9:19 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 8-8-2014

I decided to take a look with my microscope today to see if the queen might have happened to lay any eggs, and low and behold she did. This is the first S. amblychila I have ever had that actually laid eggs. I'm starting to think more and more that these really could be parasitic.

Here's a picture of her with her S. xyloni workers and her little pile of freshly laid eggs.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 11 2014 - 4:29 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice, so it is relatively easy to raise a parasitic species if you can boost them.

#4 Offline Anhzor - Posted August 11 2014 - 6:26 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Not always, many parasitic species will die in a few days if she has no workers to help her out

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 11 2014 - 6:29 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Is this one parasitic to S.xyloni in the wild too? She has such a smaller gaster than a S.xyloni queen.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2014 - 9:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nobody really even knows if it's parasitic at all. Right now it's just a theory. James C. Trager mentioned it could be a possibility, and so far my one single experiment seems to support that.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 17 2014 - 5:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 8-17-2014

This queen is still doing fine, but it doesn't look like her eggs are developing. :(

Just the other night I found two more of these alates on my black light in Trabuco Canyon, California. I boosted both of them with some S. xyloni brood including pupae.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 29 2014 - 6:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 8-29-2014

The boosted queen's eggs never developed and she hasn't laid anymore since. The other night I found two more of these queens who tore their wings off right in front of me, so they're probably fertile. I boosted all three queens with a decent amount of brood this time from my mature colony of S. xyloni that recently lost its queen.

Edit: I found out my S. xyloni didn't lose their queen after all.

Edited by dspdrew, September 12 2014 - 5:57 PM.

#9 Offline Alza - Posted August 29 2014 - 11:44 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

when i witnessed the flight on june 21st alates took there wings off before they mated. it was right before they went out the colony. species is what i think is subnitidus. So can you really trust that ?

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 30 2014 - 12:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't think ants remove their wings before mating. As far as I know, around here, subnitidus is a species of Pogonomyrmex.

#11 Offline Alza - Posted August 30 2014 - 12:22 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

yayayayay pogonomyrmex subnitidus, but some removed wings right after coming out of there nest. others didn't and got on blades of grass for the flight

#12 Offline Alza - Posted August 30 2014 - 12:36 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

btw don't let those amblychila sting you! i got dropped by some fire ants and i had an allergic reaction. protect yourself and be careful 

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 12 2014 - 4:53 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Anything happening here?

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 12 2014 - 6:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 9-12-2014

One of the new queens died. The other let a lot of her boost brood die, but now seems to have some stacked up and they look healthy. She doesn't have any more workers in there though, so I'm not sure if these larvae are going to get fed or not. I guess that could probably help determine whether or not they are parasitic. This queen also has a few brand new eggs in there that would have to be hers.

The original queen is still alive and doing great. I just noticed that not only did she also likely lay some eggs of her own finally, but some of them have even turned to small larvae now.

med_gallery_2_233_291876.jpg

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 25 2014 - 3:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-25-2014

All remaining workers and brood slowly died off in both colonies, until finally both queens died too. I guess I'll try again next year. :(

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 8 2014 - 6:23 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Did you keep some of the brood alive? I wonder how the workers of this species look like.

#17 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 8 2014 - 7:23 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Btw, I always been wondering, what's this thing you call black light? How to make it? Or where can I buy it?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#18 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 8 2014 - 7:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, you can buy blacklight traps from Bioquip I think, but it is easier to make one. As far as I know, both me and Drew are working on battery powered designs though.

#19 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 8 2014 - 7:48 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Could you buy any old black light and hang it outside? 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#20 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 8 2014 - 7:51 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis amblychila, trabuco canyon, california, dspdrew, journal, alates, dealates, queen ant, fire ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users