• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

byFormica - New Packaging (work in progress)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 29 2016 - 3:29 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm working on some new packaging.  Here is a prototype I just started today (Dec 29, 2016).

It's not perfect yet, but I wanted to show it off because I won't have the materials (especially the foam) I'll be using in the final version for a couple days.  I guess you could say I'm kind of excited.

I've learned a little more about toolbox shadowing and have a process that is pretty easy and low cost to manufacture completely on my own, which is what I was aiming for.

Here is a video of the newly revised prototype.  Note, the boxes will also be shrink wrapped and an instruction manual will be inside, neither of which is shown in the video:

Edited by drtrmiller, January 7 2017 - 7:35 PM.
New video

• ctantkeeper likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted December 29 2016 - 3:33 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Very nice!

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted December 29 2016 - 3:34 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

lol, I typically don't pay to much attention to the package, but that's a nice box. :D

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Reacker - Posted December 29 2016 - 3:34 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Why do you shave your hands?

• drtrmiller, Kevin and Martialis like this

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted December 29 2016 - 6:05 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Awesome packaging!!! Love the new small glass tops for the liquid feeders btw.

#6 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 29 2016 - 7:37 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Wow, so many holes. I really don't think that'll hold my ants in, start over terry.

• drtrmiller likes this

#7 Offline FSTP - Posted December 29 2016 - 8:26 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Looks great! However for future reference in your videos you need to be wearing some patent leather white gloves. Those hands are far to sexy to be shown naked....

Edited by FSTP, December 29 2016 - 8:27 PM.

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted December 29 2016 - 9:40 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Maybe he's playing LARP or Airsoft. I usually do the same when I'm doing that because wearing protective leather gloves while running around and battling in summer makes your hand sweat like crazy and removing the hairs surprisingly helps a lot.

Edited by Serafine, December 29 2016 - 9:42 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 30 2016 - 1:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think they were once referred to as Vanna White hands. :lol:

• dermy likes this

#10 Offline Antfollower - Posted December 30 2016 - 9:51 AM

Antfollower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Personally I really liked the 3D printed holding rack you had previously.  Really high quality, functional, still saved and use both of mine.  That's a really cool box though.

Edited by Antfollower, December 30 2016 - 9:51 AM.

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted December 30 2016 - 10:10 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Personally I really liked the 3D printed holding rack you had previously.  Really high quality, functional, still saved and use both of mine.  That's a really cool box though.

I agree. I loved that rack.

#12 Offline Reacker - Posted December 30 2016 - 9:23 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

No, but seriously: why do you shave your hands?

• Martialis likes this

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 30 2016 - 10:48 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No, but seriously: why do you shave your hands?

Not everyone is as naturally hirsute as you, Mr. Reacker Bear. Moving on...
  • dspdrew likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#14 Offline Kevin - Posted December 31 2016 - 6:06 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Terry, what type of "foam" is that? I have a bunch of that in my basement for airsoft targets, but I can't recall the name of it.

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 31 2016 - 6:08 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Terry, what type of "foam" is that? I have a bunch of that in my basement for airsoft targets, but I can't recall the name of it.

Technically it's polyethylene, but it's really just garbage. I bought the wrong stuff, so I'm not going to use it.

I'm hoping to source some denser/stiffer material like they use in nice toolboxes.

#16 Offline Kevin - Posted December 31 2016 - 1:16 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Technically it's polyethylene, but it's really just garbage. I bought the wrong stuff, so I'm not going to use it.

I'm hoping to source some denser/stiffer material like they use in nice toolboxes.

Ah yeah, you know what's nice if it's not too expensive is the dense grey foam, all my expensive RC upgrades from Traxxas are usually displayed in that stuff. 

Edited by Kevin, December 31 2016 - 1:16 PM.

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 31 2016 - 4:53 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Ah yeah, you know what's nice if it's not too expensive is the dense grey foam, all my expensive RC upgrades from Traxxas are usually displayed in that stuff. 

I've got a couple tools that use the same thing.  I think that's what I want to use. I just can't figure out what the trade name for it is.

#18 Offline Kevin - Posted December 31 2016 - 6:05 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I think it is "Supreem" foam, also known as charcoal foam. After a little bit of research, I came up with the following names:

Supreem

Charcoal Foam

Ether-based Charcoal Foam This one sounds like your best bet, but I don't know the actual "chemical name" for it.

Also, with that foam you can get a much more snug fit while maintaining the professional look, while white styrofoam is ugly imo and a big PITA if you break it, haha.

Edited by Kevin, December 31 2016 - 6:07 PM.

#19 Offline Serafine - Posted January 1 2017 - 1:52 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Get this:

Feldherr-AG05Set-Schaumstoffeinlage-Set-

Feldherr-AG05Set-Schaumstoffeinlage-Set-

Feldherr-KXL08BO-Feldherr-Arcadia-Quest-

Edited by Serafine, January 1 2017 - 1:53 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#20 Offline XZero38 - Posted January 3 2017 - 9:27 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Personally i really like the plastic holder that your products come in. If its parts I'm not using i can put them in the plastic holder and not worry about them till i need them. that's just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users