• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Id 11/8

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted November 8 2016 - 3:50 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Well today I went anting again. I was expecting to just find more Dorymyrmex app and I did. I found yet another Dorymyrmex insanus. 

However I did dig up a different species this time. 

Here is the capture data:

City/state: Fresno, Ca

location: found slightly of a dirt bike trail in very hard dry compacted sandy dirt.

Size: about 10-11mm

I found here in the ground about 2cm deep. I was able to locate here by her little chamber overburden pile.

Here are some picture. 

pogo10_zpsioyhfkuo.jpg

pogo9_zpsuyh2ik3j.jpg

pogo11_zps7bbvmiua.jpg

pogo3_zpszgcdgzcm.jpg

pogo7_zpsanebjkbb.jpg

pogo1_zps0zwfbvgm.jpg

pogo6_zpsqkgbrq5j.jpg

pogo2_zpskjpq4xaz.jpg

I have in a "test tube" set up for now is this ok? She was in a very dry area. I'm wondering is the Test tube with water behind cotton maybe to humid for her?

Also is she semi-claustral? will she be needing food?

I really want her to do her best she is the only Pogonomyrmex I could find. I haven't even seen any nest near me, so I was very very surprised to find her.

Edited by FSTP, November 8 2016 - 3:53 PM.

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 8 2016 - 4:00 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Well today I went anting again. I was expecting to just find more Dorymyrmex app and I did. I found yet another Dorymyrmex insanus.

location: found slightly of a dirt bike trail in very hard dry compacted sandy dirt.

I found here in the ground about 2cm deep. I was able to locate here by her little chamber overburden pile.

Here are some picture.

pogo10_zpsioyhfkuo.jpg

pogo9_zpsuyh2ik3j.jpg

pogo11_zps7bbvmiua.jpg

pogo3_zpszgcdgzcm.jpg

pogo7_zpsanebjkbb.jpg

pogo1_zps0zwfbvgm.jpg

pogo6_zpsqkgbrq5j.jpg

pogo2_zpskjpq4xaz.jpg

I have in a "test tube" set up for now is this ok? She was in a very dry area. I'm wondering is the Test tube with water behind cotton maybe to humid for her?

Looks like Pogonomyrmex californicus and yes she is semi claustral

YJK

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 8 2016 - 4:14 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Here are some picture.

pogo10_zpsioyhfkuo.jpg

pogo9_zpsuyh2ik3j.jpg

pogo11_zps7bbvmiua.jpg

pogo3_zpszgcdgzcm.jpg

pogo7_zpsanebjkbb.jpg

pogo1_zps0zwfbvgm.jpg

pogo6_zpsqkgbrq5j.jpg

pogo2_zpskjpq4xaz.jpg

Looks like Pogonomyrmex californicus and yes she is semi claustral

While it's possible she's Pogonomyrmex californicus, I don't feel like you have enough evidence to prove she's Pogonomyrmex californicus over the 17 other species of Pogonomyrmex in California. What about this queen says she's Pogonomyrmex californicus over Pogonomyrmex maricopa for example?

https://www.antweb.o...Name=California

Edited by Mdrogun, November 8 2016 - 4:14 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline FSTP - Posted November 8 2016 - 4:54 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

thanks for the replies. I know the pictures are horrible, I'm working on trying to get some better detailed photos. What features specifically would help in id'ing her?

I'm worried about her. She seems to be just running and running around in the test tube. I'm nervous she is going to stress and wear herself out and die. Should I put some small seeds in  there with her? like some dandelion or some other grass seed?

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 8 2016 - 4:54 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

thanks for the replies. I know the pictures are horrible, I'm working on trying to get some better detailed photos. What features specifically would help in id'ing her?

I'm worried about her. She seems to be just running and running around in the test tube. I'm nervous she is going to stress and wear herself out and die. Should I put some small seeds in there with her? like some dandelion or some other grass seed?

Yes. I also think u should put in a substrate

YJK

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 8 2016 - 5:00 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

I'm worried about her. She seems to be just running and running around in the test tube. I'm nervous she is going to stress and wear herself out and die. Should I put some small seeds in  there with her? like some dandelion or some other grass seed?

I would put in little bit of sand but not too much. Just give her some time to calm down. Keep her dark and in a warm spot (around 85 F) if you can. I give my pogonomyrmex Guizotia abyssinica seeds but I am sure almost any seed she can grip on to with her jaws would do.

I'm worried about her. She seems to be just running and running around in the test tube. I'm nervous she is going to stress and wear herself out and die. Should I put some small seeds in there with her? like some dandelion or some other grass seed?

Yes. I also think u should put in a substrate

Can you please respond to my question?

Edited by Mdrogun, November 8 2016 - 5:00 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline FSTP - Posted November 8 2016 - 5:34 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Alright I mixed some course sand with some clay like dirt to make as close a facsimile to the dirt I found her in. I then microwaved it to try and kill anything that may harm her. I have placed about a gram or so in her tube. I'll try and get some small seeds for her tomorrow and place them in there with her. I have a temp gauge in box her tube is in and its holding steady at 81ºF. 

I guess its not terribly important I get an exact ID considering the poor detail in the photos. Its just nice knowing that I found at least one Pogonomyrmex and I can potentially find more within walking/rolling distance of my house.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it,

Jess

Edited by FSTP, November 8 2016 - 5:35 PM.

#8 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 8 2016 - 5:37 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Alright I mixed some course sand with some clay like dirt to make as close a facsimile to the dirt I found her in. I then microwaved it to try and kill anything that may harm her. I have placed about a gram or so in her tube. I'll try and get some small seeds for her tomorrow and place them in there with her. I have a temp gauge in box her tube is in and its holding steady at 81ºF.

I guess its not terribly important I get an exact ID considering the poor detail in the photos. Its just nice knowing that I found at least one Pogonomyrmex and I can potentially find more within walking/rolling distance of my house.

Jess

Great!

YJK

#9 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 8 2016 - 5:39 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Jess

I bake all of my sand at 450 F for around 40 minutes to kill all of the mites and stuff but you should be fine. Pogonomyrmex are really hard to get a species level ID. A lot of species are very similar. Good luck!

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#10 Offline FSTP - Posted November 8 2016 - 5:45 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Baking works too, but I"m impatient so I microwaved it. A few of the Labs I've worked in have used the microwave method to kill certain fungi and bacteria so I'm confident it will kill mites and the like.

I'm really excited to have found a Pogonomyrmex I'm hoping I can find more to better my odds of success.

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 8 2016 - 6:58 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Looks like California us to me too
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#12 Offline FSTP - Posted November 9 2016 - 10:45 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

She seems to be pulling at the cotton a lot, like she's trying to get out. Could this be because she's hungry? I haven't put any sense in there yet but I'm working on it.

#13 Offline XZero38 - Posted November 9 2016 - 11:24 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

My P. Occ. did the same thing till i put a few seeds in there with them

#14 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 9 2016 - 11:30 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

What is the microwave method you speak of?

Microwaves use electromagnetic radiation ... Convection/Conventional ovens use heat.

With the severe lack of ANY moisture in the sand .. you're just wasting electricity microwaving sand. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#15 Offline FSTP - Posted November 9 2016 - 11:42 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

I realize sand has no moisture in it ;) .... that's why the sand dirt mixture I made was compounded with water, then microwaved until steaming dry. You also have to realize I'm not microwaving specifically the sand but whatever is living on the sand, and anything that's living on the sand certainly would have moisture, as minuscule as it might be. That said microwaving effectively can cause Cell lysis.

#16 Offline FSTP - Posted November 9 2016 - 11:43 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

My P. Occ. did the same thing till i put a few seeds in there with them

Alright thank you I'll get some i there ASAP.

Edit: Ok I put in some raw chia seeds, that's all I had laying around so I'll see if I can find some other types of seed.

Edited by FSTP, November 9 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#17 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 9 2016 - 4:00 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

While it's possible she's Pogonomyrmex californicus, I don't feel like you have enough evidence to prove she's Pogonomyrmex californicus over the 17 other species of Pogonomyrmex in California. What about this queen says she's Pogonomyrmex californicus over Pogonomyrmex maricopa for example?

https://www.antweb.o...Name=California

All things considered P. californicus is as good a bet as any. Obviously you can rule out several of the species (for example P. maricopa and magnacanthus) because they do not occur anywhere near that locality. P. californicus is by far the most common species in that area.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 9 2016 - 6:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What about P. subdentatus? I know they are found a lot in the Bay Area, not sure about Fresno. They also fly very late in the year. Seems if it is P. californicus, there might be something wrong with it, considering it's November.

#19 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 9 2016 - 6:55 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

That is the only other real option in that area. However I have never collected it there. And sadly queens are tough to key out.

Edited by gcsnelling, November 9 2016 - 6:57 PM.

#20 Offline FSTP - Posted November 9 2016 - 7:33 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Well Thank you guys for trying to figure it out. Identifying something down to the species is not always a straight forward affair. 

I'm still a bit worried I just checked on her again, and it seems she's still trying to chew out the cotton. When I initially added the sanded dirt and chia seeds it seemed like she had calmed down. But she seems to now be back to chewing at the cotton. I'm a bit worried. 

I've seen some people start Pogonomyrmex queens in a very small jar of the dirt they found them in instead of a test tube. Should I try this? Also next week I have some THA Atom founding formicariums coming. Should I just wait and place her then there?

In your guys opinion what is the most successful way to start a Pogonomyrmex queen? I'd really like to do everything I can as she was the only Pogonomyrmex I was able to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users