• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Id 11/8

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 9 2016 - 7:38 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Well Thank you guys for trying to figure it out. Identifying something down to the species is not always a straight forward affair. 

I'm still a bit worried I just checked on her again, and it seems she's still trying to chew out the cotton. When I initially added the sanded dirt and chia seeds it seemed like she had calmed down. But she seems to now be back to chewing at the cotton. I'm a bit worried. 

I've seen some people start Pogonomyrmex queens in a very small jar of the dirt they found them in instead of a test tube. Should I try this? Also next week I have some THA Atom founding formicariums coming. Should I just wait and place her then there?

In your guys opinion what is the most successful way to start a Pogonomyrmex queen? I'd really like to do everything I can as she was the only Pogonomyrmex I was able to find.

You really need to just leave her alone. If you keep checking on her all the time she's not going to calm down and she's not going to lay eggs. Just do what I told you to earlier and calm down  :) .

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#22 Offline FSTP - Posted November 9 2016 - 8:08 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

ok sounds good. I have her tube in a clear acrylic box that I covered in RoscoLux full red gel film , so I can still somewhat see her without exposing her to light or moving her. Is that ok or should it be complete darkness ? that's the last stupid question I promise... :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users