• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Did Mikey Bustos ship ants?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 1 2016 - 7:17 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Man, if Mikey hadn't shown up...

:>

#22 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 2 2016 - 3:58 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I find it funny that you try and publicly call out Mikey Bustos. What i can't figure out is your motive. What was your reason for publicly calling him out? Were you trying to diminish his appearance? And when you got shot down, you tell him “Sorry” like it’s going to make a difference to him.

To me, you did the opposite.
Piece of advice. Do your research before trying to call someone out. It’s perfectly legal to ship ants in Canada (You should know this…). Ontop of that, you know it’s possible to move ants without shipping them?

I find it a bit suspicious that it was in September, which is a time where you can find Pheidole (that would be just the end of their flights) as Tetramorium fly in the summer months, and usually not fall. I have found Tetramorium in September, but it's usually not common. It just seems like the size of the head, and the big build of the queen seems Pheidole. So, I think Canadian Anter may have a small reason to be suspicious, we can't hate on him for inquiring.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#23 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 2 2016 - 4:39 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

How do you mistake a tetramorium for pheidole?

It must have been the same experience level where you would think a camponotus major was a queen.

The queens look surprisingly similar.
Ant love forever!
http://antscanada.com

#24 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 2 2016 - 4:40 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

I was going to suggest that maybe he did have ants shipped in the past.
Maybe his experience with the shipping of ants is what caused him to disallow it for GANproject members.

No, I have always kept local ants and have never shipped nor received shipped ants. Since the beginning I have sided with my myrmecologist friends on the stance.
Ant love forever!

#25 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 2 2016 - 4:43 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

To clarify, that ant was caught in my yard and was also incorrectly ID'd. I was a bit of an amateur in those years. This is a Tetramorium sp E queen.

Our GAN Project does not allow ants to be transported across Province borders nor to be mailed out to people (which can stress the ants and leaves them vulnerable to all sorts of dangers, e.g. the rough handling, overheating, etc.) All exchanges are made in person.

These are our principles and all our platforms on social media and otherwise instate these ant keeping ethics. There are other places to go if you would like to talk about keeping non-native ants like Antstore, etc but we won't/don't do it nor provide a venue for it.

Ant love forever!

Appears people here are questioning you a little lately huh? haha

Totally don't mind. It comes with the territory. Sadly, I can't come on the forums as much as I wish I could so for those who bring threads like this to my attention and even answer for me thanks so much.

Ant love forever. Forever drama free. :)
Ant love forever!

#26 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 2 2016 - 4:44 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Also, thanks Miles for the heads up on this!

Edited by AntsCanada, November 2 2016 - 4:45 PM.

Ant love forever!

#27 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 2 2016 - 7:54 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

This might not be subjective to the current topic, but is the vertical omni nest suited for honeypot repletes?

Edited by Solenoqueen, November 2 2016 - 7:55 PM.

#28 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 3 2016 - 4:00 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

This might not be subjective to the current topic, but is the vertical omni nest suited for honeypot repletes?

I would recommend you email them or at the very least make your own thread. I also feel like this question is kind of pointless. Can't you figure this out on your own?

• Solenoqueen likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#29 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 3 2016 - 6:06 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I would recommend you email them or at the very least make your own thread. I also feel like this question is kind of pointless. Can't you figure this out on your own?

True that

#30 Offline Markesp83 - Posted November 11 2016 - 12:39 AM

Markesp83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA.
I gotta say I'm not experienced or possess the amount of knowledge that some of you have in regards to ant keeping hell i don't even know what ant is what just by name but besides finding ants very interesting what really got me hooked on this forum in the firs place was post like this one that contained a little drama here and there it makes for good reading lol that's all :)

#31 Offline goliat314 - Posted January 9 2017 - 4:49 PM

goliat314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKronoberg, Sweden

How do you mistake a tetramorium for pheidole?

It must have been the same experience level where you would think a camponotus major was a queen.

They don't look THAT insanely different when you compare the queens side by side like this. (Tetramorium caespitum on the left and Pheidole pallidula on the right) 

caespitum8-XL.jpg4837268200_99e08a87b6_b.jpg

#32 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 9 2017 - 7:49 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

One thing. he's in Canada so it IS LEGAL but I just think it makes him a hypocrite

He's in the Philippines now. He used to live in Canada.

Also, I wonder if you get fined if an ant hitchhikes in luggage...

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#33 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 9 2017 - 8:16 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

One thing. he's in Canada so it IS LEGAL but I just think it makes him a hypocrite

He's in the Philippines now. He used to live in Canada.

Also, I wonder if you get fined if an ant hitchhikes in luggage...

Depends on if you put it there.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#34 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 9 2017 - 8:24 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

True. Also, I doubt an ant queen can hitchhike easily.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#35 Offline Martialis - Posted January 10 2017 - 9:38 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

You'd be surprised.

Spoiler

#36 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 10 2017 - 9:49 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Since it has now been established that Mikey of AntsCanada did not import his Pheidole queen, which was actually Tetramorium, misidentified during his early years of ant-keeping, I feel that this topic is concluded.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 10 2017 - 9:50 AM.

• benjiwuf, Martialis and Alabama Anter like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users