• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Did Mikey Bustos ship ants?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 2:47 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Ants Canada is the biggest ant site in North America. Spreading through it's youtube channel, then creating the GAN project in which one of the most important rules is NO SHIPPING LIVE ANTS. Now I personally am not against shipping ants as long as they are shipped properly and don't get harmed but Mikey clearly states that he strongly opposes it. In 2 of his earlier videos, Mikey stated that he had a pheidole queen which ISN'T NATIVE TO ANY PART OF ONTARIO BUT is still native to other parts of Canada. Does this mean Mikey Busts has shipped ants before? or transport ants actoss provincial borders which is something he also clearly opposes?
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 2:56 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

This is one of the videos. can't find the other one

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted October 31 2016 - 2:57 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I have a question? If you can't ship ants across the state lines or borders or anything like that, does this mean I also can't go get them and take them back myself  or if i went on a vacation to a different state and brought a queen back, that would be illegal?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 2:57 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
It's the same thing
Yes it would be illegal if you're in the states

Edited by Canadian anter, October 31 2016 - 2:58 PM.

#5 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 31 2016 - 3:05 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I have a question? If you can't ship ants across the state lines or borders or anything like that, does this mean I also can't go get them and take them back myself  or if i went on a vacation to a different state and brought a queen back, that would be illegal?

Yes that would be illegal. You can acquire a permit to transport insects from the USDA, but permits are not typically given based on personal use, but rather for educational/research institutions.

Here is a link:

https://www.aphis.us...cus/planthealth

When it comes to anything that could potentially carry pests, there are very strict protocols. I work for a branch of the USDA, and even when we ship soil samples for chemical testing, have to abide to very strict APHIS regulations. It really is a nightmare of red tape.

• T.C. likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 3:06 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
One thing. he's in Canada so it IS LEGAL but I just think it makes him a hypocrite

Edited by Canadian anter, October 31 2016 - 3:07 PM.

• Barristan likes this

#7 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 31 2016 - 3:10 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

One thing. he's in Canada so it IS LEGAL but I just think it makes him a hypocrite

Hypocrite is a strong word. People are dynamic and have changes in their belief system. Ultimately I think we saw an evolution in his personal values, and later on in his "career" as a youtuber and ant lover, he may placed more value on the well being of ants than he places on ease of access for people's hobbies. I know I have different opinions than I did 7 years ago :D.

Edited by CallMeCraven, October 31 2016 - 3:11 PM.

• dermy, AxeSantero and OiledOlives like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 3:13 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Maybe so but when you look at his posts, it seems like he has the same thoughts as before. Hypocrite may be a strong word but it is also a subjective one and I think that he did the complete opposite of his values which in my eyes, sort of makes him a hypocrite

#9 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 31 2016 - 3:16 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Its very possible. I have a very small window of insight in his beliefs, I really only watch his most recent videos. Maybe I will have to go back to his older ones. 

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#10 Offline AntsCanada - Posted October 31 2016 - 3:48 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
To clarify, that ant was caught in my yard and was also incorrectly ID'd. I was a bit of an amateur in those years. This is a Tetramorium sp E queen.

Our GAN Project does not allow ants to be transported across Province borders nor to be mailed out to people (which can stress the ants and leaves them vulnerable to all sorts of dangers, e.g. the rough handling, overheating, etc.) All exchanges are made in person.

These are our principles and all our platforms on social media and otherwise instate these ant keeping ethics. There are other places to go if you would like to talk about keeping non-native ants like Antstore, etc but we won't/don't do it nor provide a venue for it.

Ant love forever!

Edited by AntsCanada, October 31 2016 - 3:51 PM.

• Canadian anter likes this
Ant love forever!
http://antscanada.com

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

To clarify, that ant was caught in my yard and was also incorrectly ID'd. I was a bit of an amateur in those years. This is a Tetramorium sp E queen.

Our GAN Project does not allow ants to be transported across Province borders nor to be mailed out to people (which can stress the ants and leaves them vulnerable to all sorts of dangers, e.g. the rough handling, overheating, etc.) All exchanges are made in person.

These are our principles and all our platforms on social media and otherwise instate these ant keeping ethics. There are other places to go if you would like to talk about keeping non-native ants like Antstore, etc but we won't/don't do it nor provide a venue for it.

Ant love forever!

Appears people here are questioning you a little lately huh? haha

• dermy and FSTP like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#12 Offline FSTP - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:19 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I guess that happens when you become a known public figure. Even if its in an obscure niche hobby.

#13 Offline Alza - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:34 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Who cares if someone transports them anyways, I aint snitching. 

• RapaNui likes this

#14 Offline Chandlerk - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:37 PM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I was going to suggest that maybe he did have ants shipped in the past.

Maybe his experience with the shipping of ants is what caused him to disallow it for GANproject members.

#15 Offline Kevin - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:51 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

How do you mistake a tetramorium for pheidole?

It must have been the same experience level where you would think a camponotus major was a queen.

Edited by Kevin, October 31 2016 - 4:52 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 31 2016 - 4:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It must have been the same experience level where you would think a camponotus major was a queen.

I remember when I was a kid, before the internet was the ubiquitous research and reference tool it is today, I was calling Camponotus "bulldog ants."
  • Kevin, Chandlerk and OiledOlives like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#17 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 5:03 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Ant love forever!

Ah I see. Really sorry for the misunderstanding

#18 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 31 2016 - 5:26 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I remember when I was a kid, before the internet was the ubiquitous research and reference tool it is today, I was calling Camponotus "bulldog ants."
I called Pogonomyrmex Ouchy ants

YJK

#19 Offline Loops117 - Posted November 1 2016 - 5:47 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I find it funny that you try and publicly call out Mikey Bustos. What i can't figure out is your motive. What was your reason for publicly calling him out? Were you trying to diminish his appearance? And when you got shot down, you tell him “Sorry” like it’s going to make a difference to him.

To me, you did the opposite.

Piece of advice. Do your research before trying to call someone out. It’s perfectly legal to ship ants in Canada (You should know this…). Ontop of that, you know it’s possible to move ants without shipping them?

• Antsinmycloset likes this

#20 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 1 2016 - 7:13 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I am glad Mikey came and cleared this up. Now back to learning from each other and ant love!

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users