• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dermy's Attagenus unicolor Colony 2016-2019

dermy dermestids attagenus unicolor colony

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Offline T.C. - Posted February 13 2017 - 11:38 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Well these are up on the list to get next. I find them super cool. What are you feeding them? Do you just leave the adults to run around in that container?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#22 Offline dermy - Posted February 13 2017 - 12:02 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Well these are up on the list to get next. I find them super cool. What are you feeding them? Do you just leave the adults to run around in that container?

I assume you mean "Dermestids" since I doubt anyone would sell the Species I'm keeping [considered a pest by lots] I leave all life stages in the same bin, the adults of this species are really tiny:

IMG_2761_zpscf6e0f4f.jpg

[It's the black beetle looking thing] sorry I don't have any real good pictures and this was one from like a year ago, same colony though]

If you look closely you can see a pupae: [the white thing in the middle]
IMG_2956_zps33fe28ee.jpg

Edited by dermy, February 13 2017 - 12:06 PM.

• T.C. likes this

#23 Offline T.C. - Posted February 13 2017 - 12:49 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Much appreciated. I see they don't require much care... Makes it easier on me

Thanks

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#24 Offline dermy - Posted June 3 2017 - 3:52 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

This colony is doing well. I have them in separate bins because cleaning them is a pain without loosing a lot of them. I'm guessing in total I have almost a thousand or so [probably more] I'm thinking about doing some stuff with them if I have time. But for now I'll just update you on how they are doing.

• Martialis likes this

#25 Offline dermy - Posted October 19 2017 - 2:16 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sorry about the photobucket images I don't think they are important enough to re-upload to imgur.

Here's a long awaited update on this colony:

It has grown really well since last year. That is also only part of my entire Colony since I've learned over the years that you shouldn't keep them all in the same bin.

Here's some Time-Lapses I just did tonight showing them:

I would have them in a single video but youtube got rid of it's video editor and it already took me 30 mins to encode each video and then another 10 mins per video to actually upload them :|

Hopefully since it's winter I can keep you more updated on their progress.

Edited by dermy, October 19 2017 - 2:16 AM.

#26 Offline dermy - Posted October 26 2017 - 12:36 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Almost been a year since I posted this thread :o

This colony is about 2.5 years old now [I've had them since May 2014]. I have them separated into three different bins at this time so the videos don't exactly show an accurate representation of the total population. 

Here's a non-time-lapse of them to show how slow they are:

and here's the rest of the videos I made on them [I'm not posting 25+ videos singly for obvious reasons]

Edited by dermy, October 26 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#27 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 27 2017 - 12:26 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I have a couple larvae of this species in my terrarium's recycling bin (I put a tupperware next to my terrarium. I put deceased insects and dried moss in there for my springtails, jumping bristletails, dermestids, and darkling beetles to eat.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#28 Offline dermy - Posted November 4 2017 - 2:40 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm gonna go back to once a week uploads [hopefully] since polluting this stuff is not as easy as I thought and was getting in the way of other projects. Also youtube won't let me abuse their system :|

Edited by dermy, November 4 2017 - 2:52 AM.

#29 Offline dermy - Posted November 10 2017 - 10:11 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

November 10th/2017 

Here's an update on how they are doing. I've added in more food and took out the french fry since they weren't interested.

#30 Offline dermy - Posted November 15 2017 - 12:00 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Update showing the progress of the food added in the last video:

I'm very pleased with how large and active this colony appears to be :D .

#31 Offline dermy - Posted November 20 2017 - 10:47 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here's an update on how it's been since the last video. Really quick videos probably will be able to make lots of them.

And yes that green rock is from an aquarium, I have no intentions of removing it.

#32 Offline dermy - Posted November 28 2017 - 12:39 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here's some more videos, I've been experimenting with other setups, and finally after the third attempt I found one that will work out fine. The problem with the round one was that it had a weird elevation in the middle that they couldn't climb up, so they were forced to live mostly in the rounded out area.

At the time of me writing this I have over 2hrs of footage I'm editing. I can also constantly make 2hrs+ worth of it [to be time-lapsed since no one would ever watch that much garbage without it at least being sped up] so endless content, until youtube bans me. :lol:

#33 Offline dermy - Posted December 2 2017 - 11:07 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Update on the Colony, they really like the new setup, and it's really easy to record them in it.
I expect to see a lot of new larvae in the next few weeks with the amount of beetles running around:

Here are some update videos [not all of them because if I posted all of them...... :lol:    ]

November 29-2017

November 30th 2017

I've got too many videos on these:
https://www.youtube....0RPBLBYbtBSl10M

79 Videos as I write this on Dec 2nd/2017. :lol:

#34 Offline dermy - Posted December 26 2017 - 9:47 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Dec 26th/2017

It's been awhile since I've updated on this Journal [my only Journal I can update on this forum at the moment too] but I've been sick/busy. Here's a video showing how I clean out my colonies for the most part. It's the opposite of cleaning out mealworm bins.
Instead of keeping everything from the top the larvae and adults fall to the bottom. I then slowly skim the top
and remove as much as I can without getting rid of too many larvae [they all go into a different bin anyway so none are really "lost"]

Once I'm done being sick hopefully I can get back to my 2hrs of videos a day [approx. 30 videos with my new system I'll be trying out]

#35 Offline dermy - Posted December 30 2017 - 11:37 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Dec 30th/2017 Almost 2018 now but here's 2 final videos before 2018. Both are a little lengthy:

2017 Wrap Up Video [I would have added more to this but it was already taking forever to edit and I had stuff for 2018 ready to go already]

• LC3 likes this

#36 Offline dermy - Posted January 12 2018 - 1:14 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

It's been awhile here's a look at the colony now [Recently cleaned again, they make a mess]

I can't get over how nice this colony has grown, it's my largest Dermestid colony I've ever had the pleasure of keeping :D

#37 Offline dermy - Posted January 14 2018 - 12:25 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Did something cool and tried out vegetables with the colony today. I'm happy to report not only did they eat them they swarmed them too!

#38 Offline dermy - Posted January 31 2018 - 11:38 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Crazy to think this started just over 4 Months ago in October 2017, I didn't think I'd still be making videos on this Colony. It's cool to get to see it grow too. I have a lot more videos than just this one, but I'm not gonna pollute FC with all of them more just make 1 big video every now and again for this Journal.

#39 Offline dermy - Posted February 14 2018 - 12:07 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Quick video on how I edit my videos and why I'm able to make so many.

Spoiler

#40 Offline dermy - Posted February 19 2018 - 12:33 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Can't believe it's been five months already....

I split them up because I don't want anything to happen to them as 1 colony. I was also curious to see just how large they are, and I'm surprised at how large they actually are. I don't have a count on them but there's a lot of them in there.... :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermy, dermestids, attagenus unicolor, colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users