• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Honey for my Queens?

honey

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 20 2016 - 1:20 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Unless you test the honey yourself, there's no telling what's in it.  I've seen ant stores selling exotic honeys, making wild assertions that the honey they sell is mysteriously and unquantifiably better for ants than other forms of sugar—but that is wholly baseless speculation, since these stores provide no analysis of the honeys whatsoever.

By its very definition, honey is a product collected by bees from a mostly random variety of natural sources, and then processed to remove some undesirable things to refine it for human consumption.  What still remains, however, are the yeasts and bacteria that will readily colonize the liquid the moment the moisture content increases—which, being a hygroscopic liquid that is deadly thirsty for moisture from the air, is an inevitable outcome.

Lots of honey and other natural sugar products could be counterfeit or mislabeled, as well.  So many news stories have popped up lately showing evidence of corruption and fraud running rampant throughout our food supply.

The only carbohydrate food with a quantifiable trace mineral content is Sunburst Ant Nectar, which is formulated exclusively for consumption by ants.  Hundreds of folks here and elsewhere use the stuff.  If there was anything better, I'd be the one to know.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#22 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 20 2016 - 2:50 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

You're making way too many threads. Just make one thread for all your problems/questions. Most of these questions seem kind of pointless anyways.

I am sorry you see it that way. I really do apologize. I am just really frightened this is my first time ant keeping. And I would hate for it to go wrong.

Just relax. There's no reason to overthink things. As long as you have done the basics your ant colony will be fine. Like I always say, ants are good at being ants.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#23 Offline Shareallicu - Posted October 28 2016 - 6:12 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

CamponotusLover don't worry about it. its my first year aswell. 

Mine too!! :D :yahoo:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: honey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users