• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

No heating cable

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SoloThisPlayer - Posted October 19 2016 - 1:53 PM

SoloThisPlayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationInside a box full of ants, TX

Are there any alternatives that i can do to have my tubes heated because my Invicta queen has brood but it seems like they are not developing at all. The queen had Pupae but i believe she ate them due to stress, I only check on her like twice a week now. If you guys have any alternatives, please post them down below!

Ants Being Kept:

Solenopsis Invicta

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted October 19 2016 - 3:24 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

heating vents, water cooler, computers, lamps, anything that radiates heat.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 20 2016 - 5:12 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I know you're looking for alternatives, but why not spend the $15 for the heating cable that's sold on Amazon and be worry free?

Edited by sgheaton, October 20 2016 - 6:31 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 20 2016 - 8:03 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Heating cable on Amazon:

http://amzn.to/2e4D9Rf

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 20 2016 - 11:50 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm currently plugging/unplugging the cable myself on a "When I'm home/when I'm not home" basis. Not ideal as that is providing zero control on the situation. 

Would you recommend adding the thermostat controller option? I'd use an automatic timer like for lamps, but I'm cautious for that as there isn't a high temp shut off control feature.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 20 2016 - 12:27 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I really doubt you'd get a good setup using a thermostat and heating cables. If you wanted to heat a side of your formicariums with a heat mat, and use a thermostat there, that might be better. Just make sure you're getting an actual thermostat (I used an earlier model of this when culturing feeder insects) and not a glorified dimmer switch.

That said, I think the whole point of using a low wattage cable/mat is that it shouldn't be able to get dangerously hot under normal circumstances. Coupled with the fact it's only touching one side of the formicarium/test tubes, I would think you could leave it on all the time unless the room gets excessively hot.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 20 2016 - 12:45 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The benefit of using a heating cable is that the heat can be applied to a highly localized area.  As long as it's not snaking along the entire formicarium or doubling over on itself, the ants will have a range of temperatures, even in a small area, from which to choose.

When you consider a small formicarium or a test tube, a heating pad is far more difficult to position—it's usually either on top or bottom, and partial positioning is a flimsy proposition.  Even a low wattage one will heat to dangerously high levels for ants (+90F) if the ambient room temperature gets too warm.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted October 20 2016 - 1:16 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I use a 15 watt heat cable and leave it on all day with no issues. As Terry mentioned, if you heat just one small section, a heat gradient will form and they will put the brood at the optimal location.

Just watch it for a while at first to ensure that it doesn't get too warm. 

You can see my cable snaking its way along under formicariums and test tubes here:

DSC06458_zps16a39453.jpg

http://s445.photobuc...8b8ab3.jpg.html

• ANTdrew likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 20 2016 - 2:23 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I use my heating cable, same as dr linked above, and just drape it over one end of the test tube inside a shoe box and she seems to select what side she prefers. I haven't noticed any signs of overheating. Crystals' pic also seems to be a good set up. 

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#10 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 21 2016 - 5:20 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I think I'm just assuming, "If I plug in this cable, its going to become a soldering iron and burn my desk!" Not saying that..that..ever happened or anything but it sounds like all ya'll have yours plugged in all the time with no problems. 

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 21 2016 - 6:00 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Zoo Med heating cables are insulated in silicone rubber and designed for direct contact with animals such as reptiles. They don't get hot, just warm.
  • CallMeCraven likes this

#12 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 21 2016 - 6:28 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Good deal. Think I'm being over per-cautious then. The heating cable is truly a "no brainer" tool in the highly recommended anters toolbox. 

#13 Offline Shareallicu - Posted October 28 2016 - 6:09 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I'm using a sunbeam heating pad and keep it on low.  It was designed to be used by humans, so I figured it had to be safe :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users