• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Honey for my Queens?

honey

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 12:12 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

So I gave all my 4 queens honey.. Now I was really scared on what brand to use.. Cause you know artificial preservitives and such. Makes me worried, especialy since this is my first time having queens, anyhow, so I used an all organic low glycemic sweetner. And my queens seem to be ignoring it. So is that bad? Or should I wait? 0078314111750_CF_hyvee_default_large.jpe

#2 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 12:16 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Now that I realize it I don't even know if it is honey, maybe just a sweetner

#3 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 18 2016 - 12:45 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

that's not honey....honey is just pure honey. it dosent need anything added to it since it never goes bad.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#4 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 12:48 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

that's not honey....honey is just pure honey. it dosent need anything added to it since it never goes bad.

I will repeat myself. "Now that I realize it I don't even know if it is honey, maybe just a sweetner"

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 18 2016 - 1:42 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I will repeat myself. "Now that I realize it I don't even know if it is honey, maybe just a sweetner"
Hey he's just trying to help no need to be snappy
(If I misunderstood my bad) XD

YJK

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 1:44 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Oh. I didn;t know I sounded snappy. I was just trying to repeat myself. I guess I did sound smartass my bad.

#7 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 18 2016 - 4:57 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

id suggest remove the sweatner, unless they seem to be enjoying it, and then try honey

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

Keeper of:

Tetramorium

#8 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 5:40 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

id suggest remove the sweatner, unless they seem to be enjoying it, and then try honey

Well I already swabbed some of it out but there is a little smudged against the test tube, and I added some honey.

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 18 2016 - 6:51 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Oh. I didn;t know I sounded snappy. I was just trying to repeat myself. I guess I did sound smartass my bad.
lol it's allright I'm a smart [censored] to as well... Particularly in ur questions

YJK

#10 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 7:08 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

lol it's allright I'm a smart [censored] to as well... Particularly in ur questions

Righty then... But you kinda messed up on two of them but okay!

#11 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 18 2016 - 7:12 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

You're making way too many threads. Just make one thread for all your problems/questions. Most of these questions seem kind of pointless anyways.

• drtrmiller, Loops117 and noebl1 like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#12 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 7:14 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

You're making way too many threads. Just make one thread for all your problems/questions. Most of these questions seem kind of pointless anyways.

I am sorry you see it that way. I really do apologize. I am just really frightened this is my first time ant keeping. And I would hate for it to go wrong.

#13 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 19 2016 - 7:48 AM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan
 CamponotusLover don't worry about it. its my first year aswell. 

Keeper of:

Tetramorium

#14 Offline Loops117 - Posted October 19 2016 - 8:04 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

#15 Offline Goldsystem - Posted October 19 2016 - 1:38 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
It's ok a lot of people are this way when they start out

#16 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 19 2016 - 2:15 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

I would avoid honey entirely. I have had very bad result using honey and suspect it is the result of pesticide contamination.

#17 Offline chickenman297 - Posted October 19 2016 - 2:44 PM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Well I already swabbed some of it out but there is a little smudged against the test tube, and I added some honey.

Hey there. A little trick I learned from AntsAustralia is that you put the honey on a tiny piece of paper before you put it in for the ants. That way it doesn't smudge the test tube. Thoughts anyone?

#18 Offline Goldsystem - Posted October 20 2016 - 7:54 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Hey there. A little trick I learned from AntsAustralia is that you put the honey on a tiny piece of paper before you put it in for the ants. That way it doesn't smudge the test tube. Thoughts anyone?

That's how I feed all my ants, also you can use small pieces of tin foil or tiny bottle caps.

#19 Offline Crystals - Posted October 20 2016 - 8:42 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I completely skip honey, my ants prefer sugar water or hummingbird nectar.

I have had nanitics get stuck in watered down honey, even if it was soaked into a q-tip.  I simply use waterers with a liquid sugar now.

For colonies in test tubes, I use tin foil shaped into a little bowl (I simply press it into a mini coffee spoon to get an ideal shape).

I haven't had any issues since, the ants prefer it, so it is the route I use.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#20 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 20 2016 - 10:36 AM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I think one of the reasons a lot of people like honey is the trace minerals it provides young queens and colonies. Zero clue if this is actually HELPFUL or significant in any way, mind, but it feels like it should be. Are there any alternatives that still maintain this hypothetical multivitamin benefit?

Interestingly, your post got me looking Crystal, and it really seems ants (in general) prefer sucrose (hummingbird nectar/table sugar) to glucose (honey). Maybe it's worth making the switch. Besides, a big bottle of sugar water sounds way easier than honey water.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: honey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users