• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Grout formicarium smells

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 5 2016 - 6:42 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

So I made a tiny little grout formicarium and basicaly. I didn't have clay. So I used playdough, and I put cooking oil on it before pouring grout on it. Now the formicarium is done and the smell of a strong mixture of playdough and oil. It doesn't smell good to me. Also it has been dry for like 38 hours. And basicaly its had the smell for the whole time. I worry if I get ants to use it as a starter formicarium in the future. They might neglect it for its smell. But it is a unique little design. It has 3 chambers. And one of them is under some grout and has some nice shade. What should I do???

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#2 Offline Zpence - Posted October 5 2016 - 8:27 PM

Zpence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

go grab some http://www.michaels..../M10062623.html it is cheap as hell.

#3 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 6 2016 - 11:46 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Thanks but I am interested in getting rid of the smell. Not making a new one. But thank you alot for the cheap clay I was looking everywhere!

#4 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 6 2016 - 12:08 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

That is a tough problem. Grout tends to hold smells. You can try some "free and clear" dish soap that doesn't have a fragrance. Dawn i supposed to be wildlife friendly. Another possible solution could be biodegradable camp soap. It usually doesn't have a smell and is also supposed to be okay for use in a natural setting. Good luck!

• CamponotusLover likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#5 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 6 2016 - 12:09 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Thank you alot!

#6 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 6 2016 - 3:23 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Thank you alot!

I forgot to add, if either of those are hard to obtain, or on the pricey side, distilled vinegar can be an effective way to clean a formicarium, but you may just be replacing one smell for another.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#7 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 6 2016 - 3:36 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

o Ok! Ty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users